Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian taxpayers are being sucked dry by the Hawks and North. They need to go and stand on their own two feet. If private enterprise wants them then they ought to fund them.

Thanks for your tax money, greatly appreciated :thumbsu:

It was actually only 21 games, we were both out.

I know it's not Vic to Tassie but Geelong have only been getting 7 to 8 Kardinia Park games for years. Have 9 this season, the most in a long, long time. So it's basically been Geelong with a dash of Melbourne.

Geelong never bailed on Melbourne though, they've just picked up some Melbourne members through geographical proximity. And there's a difference between driving down the highway and flying on a plane to a city. You're expecting fans who want the club to stay in Melbourne keep with a club which has relocated to another state and turn up enough for a few games in Melbourne? I think it maybe works in a Brisbane/Sydney thing where they're given a few MCG games more than other non-Victorian teams. But I can't see North managing to survive pretending as if they can keep two homes warm. You either Melbourne or Tasmania, you're not both. And I think most AFL clubs know this, which is why no club has tried this. Sydney and Brisbane could have, but probably knew it wouldn't work, or did, and the AFL knew better.

Tasmanian taxpayers are being sucked dry by the Hawks and North. They need to go and stand on their own two feet. If private enterprise wants them then they ought to fund them.

Really, if the sums paid are sucking Tasmania dry, then Tasmania really can't afford the costs of a full team.

Really, if the sums paid are sucking Tasmania dry, then Tasmania really can't afford the costs of a full team.

Their are clearly teams who cant afford to be their, but the AFL pour money into them.

If we can't have a team here then we'll have to live with that. Footy supporters have no say in that. The AFL & Politicians run that situation.

Whatever happens, I & a lot of people want the FIFO clubs gone. Its basically destroyed our football. AFL football take a lot & give very little to Australian rules football in Tasmania.

Whatever happens, I & a lot of people want the FIFO clubs gone. Its basically destroyed our football.

Can you provide anything to back this up?

I suspect that this is a purely parochial comment.

Comments against a Tasmanian side are more purely self interested & parochial than the obvious under investment here by the AFL, by the money spent to bring 2 clubs here, by AFL memberships paid by Tasmanians.

Its pretty bloody obvious which way the money flows.

Comments against a Tasmanian side are more purely self interested & parochial than the obvious under investment here by the AFL, by the money spent to bring 2 clubs here, by AFL memberships paid by Tasmanians.

Its pretty bloody obvious which way the money flows.

Tasmania profits from hosting AFL matches.

The AFL also injects money in to programs and will be debuting a team with Tasmanian representation in the AFLW in 2019.

It WILL happen eventually mate, you just need to be realistic about the timeline.

madmug never backs up his assertions no matter how much they fly in the face of the clearly verifiable facts.

You get used to it and end up giving him all the respect such positions deserve. :rolleyes:

The AFL also injects money in to programs and will be debuting a team with Tasmanian representation in the AFLW in 2019.

It WILL happen eventually mate, you just need to be realistic about the timeline.

The 'profit' is mainly just internal spending of locals at an event. Just like the recent MOFO event moved from Hobart to Launceston. It is a great little economic stimulus but its really just Tasmanians spending money their & not somewhere else. (PS. the MOFO move is great IMO as the other events have really been good for Hobart).

I really doubt many Hawthorn supporters go to Launceston any more. The crowds have dropped appreciably. How many North Supporters would you recon fly to Hobart? How long would they do that? A few people, a few times is my guess. Our own team would be FAR more beneficial to our football & economy than the FIFO clubs.

The Tasmanian AFLW initiative is just an embarrassment IMO. Local Mens Aussie Rules has been left to rot for 20 years, now they throw some crumbs to the tiny womens game (as the State Government has done too) & expect kudos from it!!

We've played Footy here since the 1860's. What do you think is a 'realistic' time line?

Do they? The Tasmanian Government pays close to $1 million per Hawthorn game in Launceston. Are non-Tasmanians injecting more than $1 million into their economy each time they host a game involving Hawthorn?

The 'profit' is mainly just internal spending of locals at an event. Just like the recent MOFO event moved from Hobart to Launceston. It is a great little economic stimulus but its really just Tasmanians spending money their & not somewhere else. (PS. the MOFO move is great IMO as the other events have really been good for Hobart).

I really doubt many Hawthorn supporters go to Launceston any more. The crowds have dropped appreciably. How many North Supporters would you recon fly to Hobart? How long would they do that? A few people, a few times is my guess. Our own team would be FAR more beneficial to our football & economy than the FIFO clubs.

The Tasmanian AFLW initiative is just an embarrassment IMO. Local Mens Aussie Rules has been left to rot for 20 years, now they throw some crumbs to the tiny womens game (as the State Government has done too) & expect kudos from it!!

We've played Footy here since the 1860's. What do you think is a 'realistic' time line?

Do they? The Tasmanian Government pays close to $1 million per Hawthorn game in Launceston. Are non-Tasmanians injecting more than $1 million into their economy each time they host a game involving Hawthorn?

You both expect me to believe that the Tasmanian government is financially incompetent by sponsoring AFL football clubs to play in Tasmania for no benefit whatsoever.

In the absence of anything in the way of hard supporting data, I don't agree.

You both expect me to believe that the Tasmanian government is financially incompetent by sponsoring AFL football clubs to play in Tasmania for no benefit whatsoever.

In the absence of anything in the way of hard supporting data, I don't agree.
Does anyone know how many non-Tasmanians attend matches in Launceston (or Hobart)? That would give us a fair idea of whether a profit is being made because we know the Tasmanian Government spends close to $1 million per Hawthorn game in Launceston.

Does anyone know how many non-Tasmanians attend matches in Launceston (or Hobart)? That would give us a fair idea of whether a profit is being made because we know the Tasmanian Government spends close to $1 million per Hawthorn game in Launceston.

Forget about "how many" attend. Find out how much money is made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget about "how many" attend. Find out how much money is made.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...w/news-story/3fcef7c5cd710df2354b8c112568f157
The most recent study, two years ago, found Hawthorn’s four AFL games a year in Launceston, as well as a fifth pre-season game, were worth almost $30 million to Tasmania in direct economic stimulation as well as national brand exposure for the state.

North Melbourne’s games in Hobart generated $25 million directly into the coffers for the Greater Hobart region, and contributed to supporting 220 jobs.
Not clear how much of that is coming from non-Tasmanians...

non Tasmanians...maybe, maybe not, but in total economic activity the various reports have them generating many times more than the games cost.

A quick google on "economic impact of afl games in tasmania" found this as the second entry (the first was on the hawthorn website, so I assumed people wouldn't accept it).

https://stors.tas.gov.au/store/exlibris6/storage/2016/04/06/file_1/1498550.pdf

"The socio-economic value of AFL games and related activities in Greater Hobart in 2015 is conservatively estimated to be $43.7 million."

$55 million for a $11-12 million dollar investment?

Why are we even having this discussion?

Because our own club would give a far better return for our football, our economy, & our confidence than getting suburban clubs flying in & out. The economic stimulus is mainly internal. Look at the benefit for Geelong & you'll get that here.

Okay, why can't Tasmania sell this to the AFL?

...and please don't resort to moronic baseless conspiracy theories.

Can you agree that at this point in time that Tasmania doesn't have it's act together?

Can you agree that at this point in time that Tasmania doesn't have it's act together?

Because no matter how good it might be for Tas, in order to convince the AFL to do it, it needs to be shown that it'd be good for the AFL....and beyond a few empty platitudes, arguments for that tend to be few and rather weak.

The AFL has its own internal pressures to keep its current flock afloat. They spend so much on nearly 1/2 the competition clubs who struggle currently. Tasmania provides an income for 2 clubs. So while the AFL might like the economic flow to 2 clubs, they are the keepers of the game & are responsible for the health of the game.

A Tasmanian side is about equity. The AFL has that responsibility for the health of the game. They've made a bloody mess of it here. They know it.

The increasing comment here against the 2 team FIFO situation is pressuring Government to get off its arse & stand up for this place. Hopefully that'll pressure the AFL to get the FIFO 'suckers' out of the place & a finally proper pathway towards our own club.

No more 'platitudes'.

The AFL has its own internal pressures to keep its current flock afloat.

To some extent this is correct. After all the AFL IS the 18 clubs.

They spend so much on nearly 1/2 the competition clubs who struggle currently.

You are embellishing the situation.

Tasmania provides an income for 2 clubs.

These clubs would both go on existing without Tasmania's input.

\So while the AFL might like the economic flow to 2 clubs, they are the keepers of the game & are responsible for the health of the game.

Once again, the AFL IS the 18 clubs.

A Tasmanian side is about equity. The AFL has that responsibility for the health of the game. They've made a bloody mess of it here. They know it.

Stop blaming the AFL. Why can't Tasmania sell themselves? I respect your passion for your states footy representation, but when it comes to reasoning the scenario you completely fall flat on your face and resort to conspiracies.

The FACT is that Tasmania cannot currently present a compelling case to the AFL to have it's own team. Period. If it could, it would have one.

The increasing comment here against the 2 team FIFO situation is pressuring Government to get off its arse & stand up for this place. Hopefully that'll pressure the AFL to get the FIFO 'suckers' out of the place & a finally proper pathway towards our own club.

Important business decisions are not based on trivial emotions such as parochialism. In light of Tasmania being currently incapable of bringing a sustainable plan to the table, the next best option is what the Tasmanian leaders are currently employing. Bring an AFL profile of the game to the state and create profits whilst establishing the market.

"What people forget is how many people we and the opposition club bring to the economy of northern Tasmania. It's about 4,000 per game."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-21/afl-warming-up-to-project-tasmania-says-hawks-president

These people each need to invest $250.

A single person staying in a motel, with return fares on the Spirit of Tasmania, meals etc would push this to over $500 a head.

I've flown to Launceston 3-4 times to watch the Brisbane Lions play Hawthorn with 2-3 other people. Spent well over $500 per head each weekend. The local hotels in particular did very well out of us. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back