Unpopular Musical Opinions

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
CCR are a top-five band of all time. They’re music has such a hook and they really didn’t have a weakness. John Fogerty is up there with the best lyricists there have been.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't see how this is an unpopular opinion.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I really do not get the hype for Coldplay or The Arctic Monkeys. I've given The Arctic Monkeys heaps of chances to impress me and they just don't. As far as Coldplay goes, I do like the song Viva La Vida but pretty much nothing else even moderately excites me. I haven't read much of this thread so I expect others have posted a similar opinion
Your not the only one.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone who thinks there's no good music on Triple J doesn't listen to Triple J. Yeah, there's some s**t on it but that's because they are trying to appeal to multiple genres at once (I hate hip hop, but can turn it down when it comes on). There's also a lot of mainstream music fans that come in around Hottest 100 time and push some of the edgier stuff out.

But three of the albums nominated for the J Awards were by Gang of Youths, Gordi and A.B Original, three very different and very excellent albums.

And I'm 40.
Correct. I hear JJJ all the time because of the girlfriend. I have heard maybe 3 or 4 songs I really rate in about 6 months. The vast majority, I hate to say, is utter garbage.
So of course there is some good music on JJJ, but there is ALOT of stuff they play that should have never been made, and would not have been made 20-30 years ago.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
CCR are a top-five band of all time. They’re music has such a hook and they really didn’t have a weakness. John Fogerty is up there with the best lyricists there have been.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think when CCR or JF was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, whoever introduced him said something like ‘John Fogarty had the unique gift of being able to say in two and a half minutes, things that took every other singer five minutes to say.’

Unbelievably good band, unbelievably good songwriter and very underrated guitarist.

With regards to the arguments on the previous page, here's two (second isn't unpopular, but more a response):

1. Music is in the best state it has ever been, and keeps getting better.
  2. Triple J is garbage. Much better stations available depending on where you are. Heck, even Double J is much better.

With regards to the arguments on the previous page, here's two (second isn't unpopular, but more a response):

1. Music is in the best state it has ever been, and keeps getting better.
  2. Triple J is garbage. Much better stations available depending on where you are. Heck, even Double J is much better.

What do you mean even double J is better?

Double went part triple the day it went on air.

Far superior in every way.

What do you mean even double J is better?

Double went part triple the day it went on air.

Far superior in every way.
Agreed. Probably wasn't a good example, because Double J is a genuinely good station. Not my favourite, but still really good.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if it's been said in the last 99 pages but, I don't rate Nirvana. Now I love all things 90s, Pearl Jam, Greenday, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Millencolin, RATM, just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's some I've missed. Not to mention footy from back then. But I just don't like Nirvana. His voice annoys the s**t out of me, musically their songs are weak, and some of them are lyrically weak too.

I might be biased because of my love for Pearl Jam, and them being in direct competition back in the day, but I just don't rate them at all. People talk about them being the best band from that era. I strongly disagree.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
Not sure if it's been said in the last 99 pages but, I don't rate Nirvana. Now I love all things 90s, Pearl Jam, Greenday, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Millencolin, RATM, just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's some I've missed. Not to mention footy from back then. But I just don't like Nirvana. His voice annoys the s**t out of me, musically their songs are weak, and some of them are lyrically weak too.

I might be biased because of my love for Pearl Jam, and them being in direct competition back in the day, but I just don't rate them at all. People talk about them being the best band from that era. I strongly disagree.
Pearl Jam were a glorified cover band. Nirvana were original.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

I have never heard them as rated as "best" band of the era. Because they were certainly not, although more than capable. I didnt mind Nirvana.
Most influential? Most certainly in the discussion when were talking influence.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Gotta give it to Nirvana for bridging grunge with pop culture. It's why I rate Metallica so highly, they did similar things with thrash metal (before jumping ship into rock and roll). I actually think Nirvana's best work is hidden in In Utero which doesn't get radio play.

Unpopular-ish opinion: As cringe-worthy as hair metal looks in hindsight, Poison's music has aged remarkably well and aside from GNR (who I usually don't class as hair metal) were the best band from the hair metal era.

Pearl Jam were a glorified cover band. Nirvana were original.

I'm not a Pearl Jam fan in fact I loathe their music but Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament are definitely originals.

Calling Kurt Cobain original when he openly admitted his most popular song was written while trying to rip off the Pixies?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Silverchair version Diorama and Young Modern, not Frogstomp.

3-piece with big orchestral sound. Daniel Johns was doing Muse before Muse even.
Those 2 silverchair albums are epic. And they came just as i was discovering Muse. Both got a lot of spinning along with Origin of Symmetry (i never cared much for Showbiz).

Produced a ridiculously good album in Nevermind.
PJ's first 4 albums were very good as well.
Don't get competition in music. I like both bands equally.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gotta give it to Nirvana for bridging grunge with pop culture. It's why I rate Metallica so highly, they did similar things with thrash metal (before jumping ship into rock and roll). I actually think Nirvana's best work is hidden in In Utero which doesn't get radio play.

Unpopular-ish opinion: As cringe-worthy as hair metal looks in hindsight, Poison's music has aged remarkably well and aside from GNR (who I usually don't class as hair metal) were the best band from the hair metal era.
May qualify as an unpopular opinion, but Nirvana’s best album was their unplugged in New York.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
May qualify as an unpopular opinion, but Nirvana’s best album was their unplugged in New York.

IMO, their best was 'Live at Reading'. Some of the best versions of their songs (cuts from 'Bleach' in particular) are on there I reckon. Rhythm section sounds like a giant bulldozer.

Back