Crown Melbourne Part 4

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
^ better than Tassie though!

How far is it to go outside for a smoke? Also the poker room in Hobart was kept pretty cold so you needed a jumper, sand there?
Pretty far away, most times when I see people gone for a smoke are gone for at least a few rounds.

Crown poker room is usually warm, but I'd still bring something along

John of all Johns

Team Captain
Oct 23, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
2/5 is now 10% $15 cap.

It's also now turbo. Can buy time for $5 up to twice.

Money for time goes into the rake cf the pot.
Can confirm. $5 does not go into the pot as it used to, will go to rake.
1/3 can buy time for $3, again goes to rake/commission.
1/2 is 10% up to $20

Crazy, home games are looking more attractive than crown these days.

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
Played 1/3 PLO last night from 9-12. Ended up exactly square.
Was one guy going mad and another guy who couldn't miss. First guy probably lost $1500, second guy left with $2k!!
All in all very enjoyable, much better after the guy going mad left. He was doing things like potting on the button pre with Low pockets and not much else!!

Played 1/3 PLO last night from 9-12. Ended up exactly square.
Was one guy going mad and another guy who couldn't miss. First guy probably lost $1500, second guy left with $2k!!
All in all very enjoyable, much better after the guy going mad left. He was doing things like potting on the button pre with Low pockets and not much else!!
Which table?

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
just got back from 5 hours of 1/3 NL.
Ended up $70 up which was ok as I was stuck $250 at one stage.
A couple of interesting hands.
utg opens for $15
Folds to me in MP with Kh9h, I call and the button calls.
Flop is Kc10h9d
Utg checks, I make it $25, button shoves for $85 more, utg folds. I call.
Button shows Kd10c
Runs out all hearts so I got lucky there.

I have 99 on the button, 5 limpers and I make it $15, 3 callers.
Flop Ah9d4c
MP makes it $15, folds to me and I make it $40, MP calls
Turn Qd, MP checks, I bet $60, MP calls
River 6d, MP checks, I bet $120, MP calls.
I show and he turns his hand over showing Ad4d and goes to muck before dealer sees his flush:(

Hand that got me up at the end.
4 limpets, button makes it $10, I have pocket 10's (both black) and 3 bet to $30. Folds round to button who calls.
Flop Jd7h2c, I bet $50, button calls.
Turn Qd. I check and button checks
River 5d, I check, button gets $90 and I call. He shows 89 off so I took down a big pot there

I am keen to dip my toe in.

Suggested buyin with the 1/2 game? Best times to head down for a game?
$100 is max and I'd suggest that. Any less you're gimping yourself IMO. Already it's only at 50BBs, so not exactly deep.

If by best time you mean the softest game, then generally the worst players are around Friday/Sat nights but apart from that at 1/2 the play is not really that high of a level (can be sometimes) so any time that suits is good.

I would have suggested playing in one of the free tournaments they've had going recently for the aussie millions satellites, just to get a feel for live poker without having money on the line but they've stopped now. I think as long as you stay aware of the game/listen to the dealer you'll get the hang of playing live pretty quickly.

I'd suggest signing up for the crown rewards card (it's free). it makes registering to play a lot faster, plus you get free parking. the process to start playing is: you go up to the desk to register and there might be a list, you wait till your name is flashing on the screens (or you get a txt) and then go back to same desk to get a ticket with your table number. when you sit down you give that ticket to the dealer with $5 for seating charge. then unless you come straight into the BB, you can choose to pay BB straight away (while not in the BB position) to start playing or wait a few hands until BB naturally gets around to you and off you go.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i play the 2/5, 5/5 & 5/10/20 games.

if you have a general understanding of how to play, play 1/3 where you get 100 bigs and aren't going to get destroyed by the crazy rake at 1/2 playing against $20 stacks.

i play the 2/5, 5/5 & 5/10/20 games.

if you have a general understanding of how to play, play 1/3 where you get 100 bigs and aren't going to get destroyed by the crazy rake at 1/2 playing against $20 stacks.
Yep, this is what I was getting at. 1/3 isn't great either for rake and stack sizes but you might as well play roulette over 1/2.

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
$100 is max and I'd suggest that. Any less you're gimping yourself IMO. Already it's only at 50BBs, so not exactly deep.

If by best time you mean the softest game, then generally the worst players are around Friday/Sat nights but apart from that at 1/2 the play is not really that high of a level (can be sometimes) so any time that suits is good.

I would have suggested playing in one of the free tournaments they've had going recently for the aussie millions satellites, just to get a feel for live poker without having money on the line but they've stopped now. I think as long as you stay aware of the game/listen to the dealer you'll get the hang of playing live pretty quickly.

I'd suggest signing up for the crown rewards card (it's free). it makes registering to play a lot faster, plus you get free parking. the process to start playing is: you go up to the desk to register and there might be a list, you wait till your name is flashing on the screens (or you get a txt) and then go back to same desk to get a ticket with your table number. when you sit down you give that ticket to the dealer with $5 for seating charge. then unless you come straight into the BB, you can choose to pay BB straight away (while not in the BB position) to start playing or wait a few hands until BB naturally gets around to you and off you go.

Thank you for this great advice.

Nervous to dip that toe in but perhaps this weekend might be the shout, don't have much planned.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
First time playing at Crown for 5 years and one of the first things I noticed is now they have a gap between the toilet door and wall so people can see in. Let a do his drugs in peace FFS.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Ridiculous hand tonight on 1/3

Hero: 10h9h
Villain: XX
UTG raise to 12
Villain all in for 32
4 callers (pot 128)
Flop
JhQx7s
UTG bets 40, I call. Everyone else folds (pot 128), (side pot 80)
Turn Qh
UTG bets 60, I call (pot 128), (side pot 200)
River 2x
UTG checks, I bet 100, he folds.
I table my bluff, dealer announces board and pushes it up.
Villian looks at his hand, sighs and mucks his hand.
Dealer pauses and then pushes the pot.
Villain doesn't realise for the rest of the night, everyone else on the table picked up on it and made whispered conversation about it

Back