A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure this is anything more than a perception issue. They could split the rules committee of, make it independent, and call it the world Australian Football governing committee, and have them change the rules. However, the pre-eminent comp is still the AFL, this committee will still make rule changes based on what they think is good for the AFL. The AFL will not be changing rules to suit themselves, but nothing will have changed.
Its not like FIFA, where multiple different and very powerful stakeholders make change slow, and decision making conservative.
apart from rule changes for players safety, rule changes should be conservative. don't bring in rules to conquer tactics that coaches employ.

apart from rule changes for players safety, rule changes should be conservative. don't bring in rules to conquer tactics that coaches employ.

Generally agree, but some of the problems are due to previous rule changes that the coaches exploited. In such cases, is it wrong to reverse them and/or adjust them to remove/reduce the unintended consequences?

Also, when problems are the result of other changes (sports science & professionalism leading to far greater fitness, for example) is it reasonable to bring in changes to bring the game back to something closer to what it was?

Generally agree, but some of the problems are due to previous rule changes that the coaches exploited. In such cases, is it wrong to reverse them and/or adjust them to remove/reduce the unintended consequences?

Also, when problems are the result of other changes (sports science & professionalism leading to far greater fitness, for example) is it reasonable to bring in changes to bring the game back to something closer to what it was?

I don’t really see how sport science has changed the way the game has been played. Players are fitter now and they’re professional, if players were professional back in the 60s they would have played like this.

The only influence I can see sport science as having was the high interchange rotations, but to be fair I hated playing footy back when you sat a whole quarter on the bench.

I don’t really see how sport science has changed the way the game has been played. Players are fitter now and they’re professional, if players were professional back in the 60s they would have played like this.

The only influence I can see sport science as having was the high interchange rotations, but to be fair I hated playing footy back when you sat a whole quarter on the bench.

You don't think being fitter (which is due to a combination of sports science and professionalism) has changed the way the game is played?

Last edited:
You don't think being fitter (which is due to a combination of sports science and professionalism) has changed the way the game is played?

If anything sport science brings players off the ground after they kick a goal.

When they are due for their rest because they’ve had 15 sprints at 90% effort.

Or alters what drills they’re allowed to do during the week.

I don’t think it has changed the fitness level, rather kept players healthier.

It has a massive influence over training routines, diet, etc.

Unless the sports science that has lowered world endurance records consistently for decades has passed AFL by, then yes, it has made them fitter. Perhaps more significantly, it has tailored fitness to the demand of the sport better, so the training is better at making players fitter players, and not just fitter in general.

I believe the full time job that football is has contributed more to the fitness and level of play than the sport science has. The sport science is the last 10%

I think its the attention to the growing knowledge of human physiology & measurement of training effects on individuals that makes the difference.
Otherwise players would be spewing each session, running into overuse injuries. Breaking down more often. Taking longer to recover etc
So sports science, physio, medicine, dieticians etc. Enable players to be professional. & play at a high level of performance.

As of 18.1.18, GWS has 14008 members -which, according to the GWS Membership thread, is an impressive increase of c.33% on the nos. for the same period in 2017.
On 10.1.18, GWS had 1502 AFLW members, & is aiming for 2000+(The final AFLW tally was 1883 in 2017). These memberships cost $50 for adults, & $18 for kids.
Strong growth is also expected for GR regd. team nos. in the GWS area for 2018; & also GWS U5 - U8 Auskick nos.
Regd. jnr. AF teams in GWS- not inc. ACT- rose from 65 to 155 from 2012 -2017. ACT regd. jnr. teams were also the highest in 2017 since 1984.

Camden, SW Syd., has been promoted to the Premier Div. of the SFL in 2018.
This is surprising. In 2017, it finished 4 th in Div.1, & lost is Semi Final in convincing fashion -14 scoring shots to 22. However, it has good GR regd. nos., excellent c'tee & sponsors, & is recruiting well for its 2018 Premier Div. SFL team (where it will likely only win a few games).

Last edited:
As of 18.1.18, GWS has 14008 members -which, according to the GWS Membership thread, is an impressive increase of c.33% on the nos. for the same period in 2017.
On 10.1.18, GWS had 1502 AFLW members, & is aiming for 2000+(The final AFLW tally was 1883 in 2017). These memberships cost $50 for adults, & $18 for kids.
Strong growth is also expected for GR regd. nos. in the GWS area for 2018, & U5 - U8 Auskick nos.
Regd. jnr. AF teams in GWS- not inc. ACT- rose from 65 to 155 from 2012 -2017. ACT regd. jnr. teams were the highest in 2017 since 1984.

Camden, SW Syd., has been promoted (surprisingly on its 2017 Div.1 results) to the Premier Div. of the SFL in 2018. It has good GR nos., & is recruiting well for its 2018 Premier Div. SFL team.

Good to see all the money the AFL is shovelling in is achieving something.

Good to see all the money the AFL is shovelling in is achieving something.

Its acheiving a lot

I used to drive around the area from hornsby down to rooty hill a lot, and you noticed the growing number of signs promoting teams and recruitment opportunities more and more.

At gws games, its like a family day - much higher ratio of kids imo than i normally see in melbourne

I will knock the afl on a lot, but they are working a solid long term strategy in sydneys west

Its acheiving a lot

I used to drive around the area from hornsby down to rooty hill a lot, and you noticed the growing number of signs promoting teams and recruitment opportunities more and more.

At gws games, its like a family day - much higher ratio of kids imo than i normally see in melbourne

I will knock the afl on a lot, but they are working a solid long term strategy in sydneys west
Seems like an interesting 20-30 year plan. At least its been handled well unlike how the AFL handled the Swans in the early 1990s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From beginning was said to be a 20 year plan.

They learnt their lessons thankfully and its working.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes it looks like the AFL are doing all the right things in Sydneys West and now need to fix up QLD footy which should be a lot easier as Brisbane in particular always had an Australian Football presence unlike Western Sydney.

Its acheiving a lot

I hope similar things are happening on the gold coast.

GWS seem to have the right approach.

I hope similar things are happening on the gold coast.

GWS seem to have the right approach.

My guess (very uninformed guess) is the afl knew they were in for a massive task in sydney, and prepared accordingly. I suspect they thought gc would be easier, and may have not prepared as well

My guess (very uninformed guess) is the afl knew they were in for a massive task in sydney, and prepared accordingly. I suspect they thought gc would be easier, and may have not prepared as well

I think on the ground the GC has had similar successes at the grass roots level but from a higher base with a big expat community. The failure seems to be around the club establishment including key personnel compared to the relative success at the GWS.

Yes it looks like the AFL are doing all the right things in Sydneys West and now need to fix up QLD footy which should be a lot easier as Brisbane in particular always had an Australian Football presence unlike Western Sydney.
Whats the grassroots like up there?

If Brisbane can hang on to their kids I think they arw on the right track.
The Suns I have no idea.

Whats the grassroots like up there?

If Brisbane can hang on to their kids I think they arw on the right track.
The Suns I have no idea.

AF GR regd. nos. in Brisbane, GC, & SC are BOOMING, on raw nos. GR AF regd. nos. in 2017 in SEQ are approx. the same as GR RL! Anyone who suggested this scenario prior to 1987 would have been deemed as certifiably mad -attracting the common refrain "Qld is a RL heartland . No one is interested in aerial ping pong here". The "watercooler" public interest test clearly makes RL still dominant -but it is declining.
The AFL (starting with Auskick, & hard working volunteers)) has done a very good job in SEQ, & in Cairns -& has a minor GR presence in many other Qld coastal towns. Inland into Qld. bush, & GR AF has either nil, or little presence- RL dominates.

On % GR AF regd. nos increase can it only be said GWS (Syd. area of 2,100,000+) has outperformed (from a very low base) in 2012 -2017 the % increase of SEQ. GR AF is mainly a middle class Anglo/Celt game in Syd.; & is mainly in the eastern, northern,& inner west (but The Hills district is OK).
Sydney GR contact male RL regd. nos. are in a long term decline (prompting the extraordinary 2017 public idea by L.Daley & NSWRL officials to make ALL jnr. RL registrations free in Syd. for 1 year, as a trial).

Excluding the Shute Shield (even though it has, admittedly, lost a Grade), NSW male contact GR RU is also in a long term decline.

Soccer/futsal, which is established in comps. in virtually every Syd. govt. & private sec. school, & most primary schools, dominates GR in Syd. & SEQ -outnumbering AF, RL, & RU GR nos. combined.

RL is supreme, of course, at the professional NRL Comp., crowds, & ratings level (albeit Swans have the biggest single Club crowds -but, inc. GWS, have weak TV ratings).

GR AF is very weak in SW & Sth. Syd -but is recently showing good growth. GWS would have to be regularly obtaining sellout crowds at a 35,000 enlarged Spotless before the AFL would consider seeking funding for a new ground, somewhere in the SW or Sthn Syd. -to establish a new AFL. Club. 10-25 years?

Last edited:
Wont work.

Starting a new team playong out of the exact same stadium wont bring in new fans.

Indeed. They burnt their bridges with the SCG Trust when they moved to Homebush nearly a decade ago and I don't see the AFL wanting them playing out of Spotless either. So it would be a no go before we even get to the fact the SCG can hardly support the one AFL team it has at the moment facilities wise (lack of access to the ground, offices too small/overcrowded and training facilities out of date with a training oval that isn't fit for purpose).

A third team would need a point of difference and its own market to work with. Trying to piggy back off South Sydney from the SCG just won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back