The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you guys think SA could sustain a third team? Like Sturt or Norwood heading up? Port and Crows do pretty well for themselves
No. As much as Port and Adelaide have waiting lists for memberships and get 30k+ crowds to every home game I dont think there is room for a third team in Adelaide. Like Established1870 said there would have to be a massive population boom for a 3rd Adelaide team to be included.

Absolutely should exist but probably won't because Hawthorn/AFL:
Tassie

Has good reason to exist but I see the issues with it:
Central Aus/NT

Idiotic ideas they'll probably try, and waste millions on:
Shanghai
NZ

Actually reasonable locations they'll ignore:
WA
Country Vic

What we'll actually get:

2 new Sydney teams
Another QLD team, AKA Gold Coast 2: Electric Boogaloo
Somewhere overseas (see above)

I have no hope left that the AFL could make the right decisions, or even make half-sensible wrong decisions. Gill will probably do another line and then sign off on four teams in China.

Last edited:

Standard of competition has already dropped. Imagine having four more teams...

Has it really? The population has grown since the AFL started 1990. 17mil to 24.7 mil. Media rights from $6million to $250million per year. Let alone the huge investment in player development.

Maybe the top few clubs cant buy instant success any more.

I would think any further expansion would be about increasing the reach of the AFL to further challenge the NRL and increase revenues. It seems unlikely that this will involve giving teams to smallish areas that already watch it on TV just because they deserve it. There are two teams in Australia's biggest market - that is where any expansion would likely be focused.

Central Coast/Hunter/Newcastle
North West Sydney
Southern Sydney/Illawarra
South West Sydney

If that is deemed too many in one go then probably another Perth team and possibly Tasmania.

Do you guys think SA could sustain a third team? Like Sturt or Norwood heading up? Port and Crows do pretty well for themselves

If history rolled out differently Port and Norwood could have been successful business models in the AFL on their own and perhaps a composite team of Norwood/ Sturt.

The time past and the demise of the SANFL has devalued the Norwood and Sturt brands. Last number I saw for Norwood's membership was ~540 and having a guess Norwood and Sturt would be lucky to have 1,000 member combined.

The other issue is the mighty dollar. WA has around 2.7m vs SA with 1.7m and just as importantly WA has 50% more $ per person to throw around. SO if the AFL was seeking to expand, it would no doubt strongly consider the $ sign.

The discussion of a third team might be valid in 30 years.

4? Wow.

WA3
Tassie
Canberra
North Queensland

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

North Qld region (Townsville 200k) has 240k people in 30ksqmiles. Far North Qld region (Cairns 150k) has 300k people in 147ksqmiles. Distance from Cairns to Townsville is 350km. So we have 550k people spread over 2 huge area. Given the popularity of the Cowboys & the NRL I'm not sure how an AFL club would go.

Absolutely should exist but probably won't because Hawthorn/AFL:
Tassie

Has good reason to exist but I see the issues with it:
Central Aus/NT

Idiotic ideas they'll probably try, and waste millions on:
Shanghai
NZ

Actually reasonable locations they'll ignore:
WA
Country Vic

What we'll actually get:

2 new Sydney teams
Another QLD AKA Gold Coast 2: Electric Boogaloo
Somewhere overseas (see above)

I have no hope left that the AFL could make the right decisions, or even make half-sensible wrong decisions. Gill will probably do another line and then sign off on four teams in China.

I enjoyed the sunny reference

North Qld region (Townsville 200k) has 240k people in 30ksqmiles. Far North Qld region (Cairns 150k) has 300k people in 147ksqmiles. Distance from Cairns to Townsville is 350km. So we have 550k people spread over 2 huge area. Given the popularity of the Cowboys & the NRL I'm not sure how an AFL club would go.

The question was for 4 teams. I think NQ has a better chance than say a Newcastle.

Dont think theres anywhere for a 3rd Sydney team and given the outcry over stadium builds for the homeland rectangle sports we wont be seeing any new ovals being built.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question was for 4 teams. I think NQ has a better chance than say a Newcastle.

Dont think theres anywhere for a 3rd Sydney team and given the outcry over stadium builds for the homeland rectangle sports we wont be seeing any new ovals being built.

Cairns has a ground at least. Its the spread of the population & NRL which limit its chances IMO. Newcastle offers very little. Minor interest in AFL. No suitable venue. Newcastle is a great place. I visited it a number of time when working in Sydney. Beaches, lifestyle is brilliant. Not AFL IMO.

A 3rd Sydney is way back on the blocks I recon. Anyway It'd have to play at the SCG. Very few AFL clubs get their own stadium nowdays.

A 3rd Sydney is way back on the blocks I recon. Anyway It'd have to play at the SCG. Very few AFL clubs get their own stadium nowdays.

Agree. But in Sydney they would need to offer something different, a hook.
Being another team that just has a different name and colours wont get new people or people to switch from their traditional clubs down south.

Newcastle has not far south of 1 million people within 90kms and I's suspect the game would be as popular there as it is in townsville, and somewhat less than Cairns.

I would suspect that the AFL would contribute significantly to any (at least a decade into the) future boutique stadium build in the Hunter or (less likely in my opinion) South West Sydney.

I also suspect that a far more modest stadium that the two biggest drawing sports in the country can play in with at least one making a significant contribution will go down far better than the horrendous waste rebuilding two rarely full stadiums to serve the "homeland rectangle sports" has. Apart of course from the hard core elements of the so called "homeland rectangle sports" who actively hate on the national game but are a small minority of the NSW populace

Cairns has a ground at least. Its the spread of the population & NRL which limit its chances IMO. Newcastle offers very little. Minor interest in AFL. No suitable venue. Newcastle is a great place. I visited it a number of time when working in Sydney. Beaches, lifestyle is brilliant. Not AFL IMO.

Every north of the barassi line club has its own ground.

Newcastle has not far south of 1 million people within 90kms and I's suspect the game would be as popular there as it is in townsville, and somewhat less than Cairns.

I would suspect that the AFL would contribute significantly to any (at least a decade into the) future boutique stadium build in the Hunter or (less likely in my opinion) South West Sydney.

I also suspect that a far more modest stadium that the two biggest drawing sports in the country can play in with at least one making a significant contribution will go down far better than the horrendous waste rebuilding two rarely full stadiums to serve the "homeland rectangle sports" has. Apart of course from the hard core elements of the so called "homeland rectangle sports" who actively hate on the national game but are a small minority of the NSW populace

Hunter/Newcastle population 2016 was 625k. 97kn to Central coast to the south has some 325k, but its closer to Sydney. None the less I think a stadium to house a club & the support needed are a long long way away. Some sort of BBL + AFL push might get some result in some nearer future perhaps.

Hunter/Newcastle population 2016 was 625k. 97kn to Central coast to the south has some 325k, but its closer to Sydney. None the less I think a stadium to house a club & the support needed are a long long way away. Some sort of BBL + AFL push might get some result in some nearer future perhaps.

A stadium would be a pre-requisite. I think it would be the easiest hurdle as well. An AFL club is a massive investment with well over 100 employees and perhaps 10 to 20K extra tourists each year. This is essentially why the AFL could get the metricon built with a $14M outlay and long term management rights.

I would say the most important requirement would be for the giants to be well established and largely self sustaining

Tasmania
Canberra
West Perth
Norwood

We must have another team with West in its name with a bird of prey as its motif!

More likely, I'd say, there'd be another WAFC created franchise club if there was another team from WA...perhaps in the

Alas, it is probably too late for Norwood and I doubt there'll be a third club in Adelaide

1. Country Victoria - I’m not too sure how it would work exactly but I like it.
2. WA - I’d say demand exists for another club over here that’ll only increase as Perth grows, hopefully a good compromise between West Coast and Freo in terms of success and not having a s**t/losing culture.
3. Tasmania. It’s not viable right now and I reckon it’s best to stay at 18 teams for a fair while, but they’ll be ready eventually for a club.
4. Canberra/Newcastle/Woolonggong/etc

In order of preference

Tassie (sharel home games in Hobart and Launceston)
3rd WA team
3rd SA team
4rd Sydney team

2 other teams based on cultural identity
The Sudanese Sinners
The Kiwi Islanders
No supporters allowed inside stadium or within 5 km of stadium when these 2 teams meet. Special prison release system for players to participate in games. Derbies between Sinners and Islanders to be called "The Big Bash."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back