Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We were discussing this in another thread, about the difference between eras so I thought I would create a thread to compare the best teams of each decade. Now the main rule here, is that a player has to of played either their best football in that decade, or at the very least close to their best football, and more than for a single season.

I must admit, I am not well versed on the halfbacks or so of the 90's so I stole this best 22 for the 90's from a thread back in 2002 on another forum

Team of Decade 1990 to 1999
FB
Gavin Wanganeen; Steven Silvagni; Glenn Archer
HB Guy McKenna; Glen Jakovich; Nigel Smart
C Peter Matera; Greg Williams Craig Bradley
HF Michael Voss; Wayne Carey (Capt); James Hird
FF Darren Jarman; Tony Lockett; Gary Ablett
FOLL Shaun Rehn; Nathan Buckley; Paul Kelly
INT Paul Salmon; Garry Hocking; Robert Harvey; Ben Hart
COACH Denis Pagan

Team of the Decade 2000-2009:
B:
Glenn Archer; Matthew Scarlett; Dustin Fletcher
HB: Andrew McLeod; Justin Leppitsch; Nigel Lappin
C: Adam Goodes; Nathan Buckley; Simon Black
HF: Matthew Richardson; Warren Tredrea; Brendan Fevola
F: Jason Akermanis; Matthew Lloyd; Brad Johnson
R: Dean Cox; Michael Voss (C); Chris Judd
I/C: Scott West; Mark Riccuito; Matthew Pavlich; Ben Cousins
Coach: Leigh Matthews

Team of the Decade 2010 to 2017 (not done yet but fun to think about)
FB: Corey Enright; Brian Lake; Nick Smith
HB: Luke Hodge; Alex Rance; Shaun Burgoyne
C: Scott Pendlebury; Sam Mitchell; Joel Selwood
HF: Cyril Rioli; Lance Franklin; Steve Johnson
FF: Jack Riewoldt; Josh J. Kennedy; Eddie Betts
FOLL: Todd Goldstein; Gary Ablett Jnr; Patrick Dangerfield
INT: Nate Fyfe; Josh P. Kennedy; Dustin Martin; Heath Shaw
Coach: Alastair Clarkson

Now these are pretty basic, and I mostly stole them from other sources, making a few modifications such as taking Nick Reiwoldt out of the 2010 to 2017 team as I think as good as Nick was his best football was not in the 2010 to 2017 period, not by a long shot. I also took out Dean Cox for the same reason. Also Buddy is not in the 2000's team as while he did play very well in that decade, the body of his work has been from 2010 onwards. I also had Judd in the 2000's team instead of the 2010's team as I think Judd was better in the 2000's.

I am also very sure that everyone will disagree with those teams, but I thought I would have them up as a general guide. Obviously, there is also some crossover between teams as well, though it is somewhat limited.

Feel free to put in your own teams/changes as well.

So overall though, what do you think of all three teams, how do you think the teams would go against each other?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Tredrea over Richo? This'll be a fun debate again!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It isn't entirely my teams as I took teams from other people, and sort of made modifications. It is more about the overall impressions of the decades though, rather than just the individual players. I just took Scarlett out of the 2010's team and put in Nick Smith. I know most will disagree there, but Scarlett's best decade was the 2000's, and Nick Smith, while not thought of a lot, was probably the best small defender in the league for a number of years.

Pali23

All Australian
Nov 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It isn't entirely my teams as I took teams from other people, and sort of made modifications. It is more about the overall impressions of the decades though, rather than just the individual players. I just took Scarlett out of the 2010's team and put in Nick Smith. I know most will disagree there, but Scarlett's best decade was the 2000's, and Nick Smith, while not thought of a lot, was probably the best small defender in the league for a number of years.

No Nick Riewoldt in either team is farsical.

Apr 1, 2011
far away
AFL Club
Richmond
I like what you've done! I'd have a couple changes richo over tredrea obviously and I'd try to find room for Milne. But over all think it's a great effort! I was just pointing out that I expect the Richo V Tredrea debate to be the biggest talking point in this tread!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I like what you've done! I'd have a couple changes richo over tredrea obviously and I'd try to find room for Milne. But over all think it's a great effort! I was just pointing out that I expect the Richo V Tredrea debate to be the biggest talking point in this tread!

I just put Richardson in the 2000's team, but in my mind he is playing the role of the midfielder that he did later in his career, rather than the out and out key forward, otherwise there are too many key forwards in the 2000's team.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
But richo and tredders are in there.. what is the debate? All those Brisbane Brown supporters will be the problem.

Riccuito on I/C is my biggest complaint. A gun and best I've seen live regularly. But who to leave out?

Great OP.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
We were discussing this in another thread, about the difference between eras so I thought I would create a thread to compare the best teams of each decade. Now the main rule here, is that a player has to of played either their best football in that decade, or at the very least close to their best football, and more than for a single season.

I must admit, I am not well versed on the halfbacks or so of the 90's so I stole this best 22 for the 90's from a thread back in 2002 on another forum

FB
COACH Denis Pagan

Team of the Decade 2000-2009:
B:
Glenn Archer; Matthew Scarlett; Dustin Fletcher
HB: Andrew McLeod; Justin Leppitsch; Nigel Lappin
C: Adam Goodes; Nathan Buckley; Simon Black
HF: Matthew Richardson; Warren Tredrea; Brendan Fevola
F: Jason Akermanis; Matthew Lloyd; Brad Johnson
R: Dean Cox; Michael Voss (C); Chris Judd
I/C: Scott West; Mark Riccuito; Matthew Pavlich; Ben Cousins
Coach: Leigh Matthews

Team of the Decade 2010 to 2017 (not done yet but fun to think about)
FB: Corey Enright; Brian Lake; Nick Smith
HB: Luke Hodge; Alex Rance; Shaun Burgoyne
C: Scott Pendlebury; Sam Mitchell; Joel Selwood
HF: Cyril Rioli; Lance Franklin; Steve Johnson
FF: Jack Riewoldt; Josh J. Kennedy; Eddie Betts
FOLL: Todd Goldstein; Gary Ablett Jnr; Patrick Dangerfield
INT: Nate Fyfe; Josh P. Kennedy; Dane Swan; Heath Shaw
Coach: Alastair Clarkson

Now these are pretty basic, and I mostly stole them from other sources, making a few modifications such as taking Nick Reiwoldt out of the 2010 to 2017 team as I think as good as Nick was his best football was not in the 2010 to 2017 period, not by a long shot. I also took out Dean Cox for the same reason. Also Buddy is not in the 2000's team as while he did play very well in that decade, the body of his work has been from 2010 onwards. I also had Judd in the 2000's team instead of the 2010's team as I think Judd was better in the 2000's.

I am also very sure that everyone will disagree with those teams, but I thought I would have them up as a general guide. Obviously, there is also some crossover between teams as well, though it is somewhat limited.

Feel free to put in your own teams/changes as well.

So overall though, what do you think of all three teams, how do you think the teams would go against each other?
Where is Dusty in the 2010's team?

90's team Archer out, Hart on the field, Roos to the bench. Real line ball between Salmon and Grant, but probably go Grant for a bit more versatility.

It would not be a mobile forward line though.

Ablett and Hird both playing on 3rd tall or small defender types would absolutely murder them.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
FB
COACH Denis Pagan

1990's looks in another class above but still not right.
Guys like Long, Winmar and Kouta should be in there somewhere.

Someone like Voss, Paul Kelly, Rob Harvey or Kouta should be ruck rover. Winmar half forward, Long wing and maybe Bradley can be the rover even though more a centreman. Buckley has more merit for 2000 teams than 1990's for mine. He is out. Hocking and Hart will have to make way for likes of Long in the 22 also.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

FB
Gavin Wanganeen; Steven Silvagni; Glenn Archer (Andrew Collins stiff)
HB Guy McKenna; Glen Jakovich; Paul Roos
C Peter Matera; Greg Williams; Craig Bradley
FF Jason Dunstall; Tony Lockett; Gary Ablett
FOLL Paul Salmon; Scott West ; Paul Kelly

INT Jim Stynes; Nathan Buckley; Robert Harvey; Chris Grant

EMERG: Garry Lyon; Garry Hocking; Nicky Winmar

COACH Denis Pagan

Dunstall kicked 83, 82, 145, 123, 101, 66, 102, 21 (8 games) and 54 (13 games) between 1990 to 1998. There's no way he gets left out.

The 90's team would win in a canter.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

FB
Gavin Wanganeen; Steven Silvagni; Glenn Archer (Andrew Collins stiff)
HB Guy McKenna; Glen Jakovich; Paul Roos
C Peter Matera; Greg Williams; Craig Bradley
FF Jason Dunstall; Tony Lockett; Gary Ablett
FOLL Paul Salmon; Scott West ; Paul Kelly

INT Jim Stynes; Nathan Buckley; Robert Harvey; Chris Grant

EMERG: Garry Lyon; Garry Hocking; Nicky Winmar

COACH Denis Pagan

Dunstall kicked 83, 82, 145, 123, 101, 66, 102, 21 (8 games) and 54 (13 games) between 1990 to 1998. There's no way he gets left out.

The 90's team would win in a canter.

Looks like a more balanced team on paper than what I had I think.

Side note though, I think having Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett and Carey in the same forward line could be very top heavy, or at the very least lack any sort of defensive pressure.

I also think the likes of Ablett Jnr, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Selwood, Kennedy would probably be a much stronger midfield than the 90's team.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Looks like a more balanced team on paper than what I had I think.

Side note though, I think having Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett and Carey in the same forward line could be very top heavy, or at the very least lack any sort of defensive pressure.

There's no chance any defenders would risk getting off them.

Ablett, Carey and Dunstall all had ground games.

- Dunstall was a pioneer of forward defence.
- Carey was elite at everything
- Ablett's opponent might get 20 touches running off him, but it would cost him 12 goals in the process.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
There's no chance any defenders would risk getting off them.

Ablett, Carey and Dunstall all had ground games.

- Dunstall was a pioneer of forward defence.
- Carey was elite at everything
- Ablett's opponent might get 20 touches running off him, but it would cost him 12 goals in the process.

It is interesting. I would back Rance to be able to not only neutralise Carey, but also run off him and I would put Lake on Dunstall and I think he would go quite well as well. Both are attacking defenders, so when they get the ball, they can run off their opponents and turn it into an attacking opportunity.

Ablett is a bit tougher, as I am not sure who would go on him as he is a bit too small for a tall defender. Nick Smith might have to go on him and I don't know how that would work, though Smith, a few years ago, he was second to none when it came to shutting down small or medium forwards. Perhaps someone can think of a better defender though than Smith to go on Ablett, as he would have to be a small to medium defender.

Back