Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like a more balanced team on paper than what I had I think.

Side note though, I think having Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett and Carey in the same forward line could be very top heavy, or at the very least lack any sort of defensive pressure.

I also think the likes of Ablett Jnr, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Selwood, Kennedy would probably be a much stronger midfield than the 90's team.

Depends which rule set you play under. Ablett Snr, Plugga and Diesel would have probably made the '10s midfield go home crying to mummy by quarter time with 90's umpiring.

It is interesting. I would back Rance to be able to not only neutralise Carey, but also run off him and I would put Lake on Dunstall and I think he would go quite well as well. Both are attacking defenders, so when they get the ball, they can run off their opponents and turn it into an attacking opportunity.

Ablett is a bit tougher, as I am not sure who would go on him as he is a bit too small for a tall defender. Nick Smith might have to go on him and I don't know how that would work, though Smith, a few years ago, he was second to none when it came to shutting down small or medium forwards. Perhaps someone can think of a better defender though than Smith to go on Ablett, as he would have to be a small to medium defender.
Rance neutralise Carey is interesting.
Id back in Duck personally

Rob Harvey on the bench for the '90's team is very humorous! :D

Made 7 AA teams that decade and won 2 Brownlow's, an AFL MVP, 4 club B&F's, and 3 EJ Whitten medals- for best for Victoria in SOO, when the best of the best were still playing and meaning it.

N-Roo not in the 00's team is almost as amusing!

It is interesting. I would back Rance to be able to not only neutralise Carey

Carey would MAUL Rance in a marking duel to the extent that Rance would never recover.

Rance isn't even his current sides number one aerial negator.

Rob Harvey on the bench for the '90's team is very humorous! :D

Made 7 AA teams that decade and won 2 Brownlow's, an AFL MVP, 4 club B&F's, and 3 EJ Whitten medals- for best for Victoria in SOO, when the best of the best were still playing and meaning it.

Put him in the side then. It hardly matters.

Last edited:
Depends which rule set you play under. Ablett Snr, Plugga and Diesel would have probably made the '10s midfield go home crying to mummy by quarter time with 90's umpiring.

Diesel would tear Sam Mitchell a new one with just how amazing his disposals would be from engine room. Bradley, Matera and Long would run the others off their feet with their outside run. Voss, Paul Kelly, Rob Harvey and Kouta would just get the ball to GOD, Plugger and Carey and ease up when 15 goals up.

No need to get all sensitive, it was just a general comment, he's not in the one in the OP either.

Semantics over bench and starting spots for mids in such a great side is the height of supporter pettiness.

90's would just do the 80's also.
Someone that saw all the 70's should have a go. Reckon with Barney, KB, Hudson, Jeasulenko, Blight, Knights, Dench, Doull, Southby, Cable, Carman, Greig and co. it would get interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Daicos? Lol.

Only played 68 games in the 90's Frank.

Was superb from 90 to 92, but hung up the boots at the end of 93.

Would be a walk up start in an 80's side.

Only played 68 games in the 90's Frank.

Was superb from 90 to 92, but hung up the boots at the end of 93.

Would be a walk up start in an 80's side.

Roos Langford Ayres
Hunter Glendinning Doull
Hawkins G Williams Flower
G Ablett Kernahan W Johnston
Daicos Dunstall L Baker
S Madden Buckenara Weghtman
M Rioli T Watson G Healy Brereton

Roos Langford Ayres
Hunter Glendinning Doull
Hawkins G Williams Flower
G Ablett Kernaahan W Johnston
Daicos Dunstall L Baker
S Madden Buckenara Weghtman
M Rioli T Watson G Healy Brereton

Not bad.

I'd probably plonk Matthews in the pocket over Baker (2 x B&F, 1 x AFL MVP, 2 x VFL team of the year, 366 goals in 122 games), and Buckenara isn't getting a game much less ruck roving. Platten probably gets a run.

I have a theory, and I could be wrong, that when it comes to footballers they become even better in the eyes of the general public after they have retired, especially the great players as people remember their strengths and forget those players weaknesses. Highlights I think have something to do with this as the only footage you would likely see of some of those players from the 90's or earlier would be highlights, of the players doing brilliant things. They don't include the average things, or the clumsy things, and this makes people remember these players as perhaps being even better than they actually were.

I guarantee you that in 15 years time, no one will be showing footage of Buddy dropping a simple mark, just like no one shows footage of Lockett missing the ball, and sort of stopping when his opponent runs it out of defence, or when Peter Dacos was trying to kick the ball, practically missing it entirely (if something like that happened).

I think it is why the current players on this thread are rated more harshly, as we have a clear memory of the current players weaknesses as well as their strengths, we can actively remember times when Rance got pantsed, or when Dangerfield had a stinker of a match.

Not bad.

I'd probably plonk Matthews in the pocket over Baker (2 x B&F, 1 x AFL MVP, 2 x VFL team of the year, 366 goals in 122 games), and Buckenara isn't getting a game much less ruck roving. Platten probably gets a run.

Nah, Bucky for mine. Broken leg took a few seasons away at his elite best but he still in there. Absolute gun. He would change as a tall midfielder to half forward and give GOD a 5 minute burst in the middle and changes with the Dom at other times.
Matthews is more 70's era and why did not have him there. Platten from 86 not enough for mine over the other rovers like Weightman and Jimmy Krakoeur types.
Happy enough with it as it is.

Back