Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Best of the rest starting now and working backwards to 1990
Not the moat decorated but this team would be competing right down to the wire

C Johnson Glass M Martin
Hardwick Croad McKenna
Cousins Ratten Crawford
C Lewis Pavlich Jarman
Milne Dunstall Chapman
Mumford Bartel Long

Int J Roughead Koutafides Swan Hayes

Coach Sheedy + Malthouse (they can compare Lethal notes)
Probably biased towards now and not sure about Croad

Also in the squad Rampe Johannsen Bontempelli T Mitchell :) Natanui B Hill Gunston Gibson Goddard Dew Kirk Corey Kerr Hall Pike Power Tarrant Neitz B Harvey McKernan Longmire Pickett Winmar Robran Worsfold Mainwaring Couch McGrath O'Keefe Schwartz

Left out is 80s remnants who kicked off the era:
M Harvey T Watson M Thompson Brereton Tuck Mew Platten T Shaw Millane Monkhorst Daicos T Daniher P Vanderhaar

Last edited:
This thread could go on forever. Regardless of tweaking the fringes, the 90’s team would be so far ahead it’s not funny. Sure, it’s a different game these days, but that decade was when all the greatest played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salmon over McKernan for the 90s?
Would love to see a comparison of their stats during that decade. Corey had a lot of dominant games in the 90's.

Salmon
181 games
285 goals @1.57 per game
2453 hit outs @ 13.55 pg
2743 disposals @15.15 pg

McKernan
138 games
155 goals @ 1.16 pg
1375 hit outs @ 9.96 pg
1979 disposals @ 14.34 pg

Salmon over McKernan for the 90s?
Would love to see a comparison of their stats during that decade. Corey had a lot of dominant games in the 90's.

Salmon was a better pure ruckman over a longer period and Coreys injuries smashed his career and seriously inhibited his run of form..

However, if you were picking a side from all comers from the 1990's based upon excellent form runs, McKernan would be in the side as the second ruckman and Adrian McAdam would be there too. After Stynes, no ruckman burned brighter in the 1990's than Corey McKernan in 1996.

We were discussing this in another thread, about the difference between eras so I thought I would create a thread to compare the best teams of each decade. Now the main rule here, is that a player has to of played either their best football in that decade, or at the very least close to their best football, and more than for a single season.

I must admit, I am not well versed on the halfbacks or so of the 90's so I stole this best 22 for the 90's from a thread back in 2002 on another forum

Team of Decade 1990 to 1999
FB
Gavin Wanganeen; Steven Silvagni; Glenn Archer
HB Guy McKenna; Glen Jakovich; Nigel Smart
C Peter Matera; Greg Williams Craig Bradley
HF Michael Voss; Wayne Carey (Capt); James Hird
FF Darren Jarman; Tony Lockett; Gary Ablett
FOLL Shaun Rehn; Nathan Buckley; Paul Kelly
INT Paul Salmon; Garry Hocking; Robert Harvey; Ben Hart
COACH Denis Pagan

Team of the Decade 2000-2009:
B:
Glenn Archer; Matthew Scarlett; Dustin Fletcher
HB: Andrew McLeod; Justin Leppitsch; Nigel Lappin
C: Adam Goodes; Nathan Buckley; Simon Black
HF: Matthew Richardson; Warren Tredrea; Brendan Fevola
F: Jason Akermanis; Matthew Lloyd; Brad Johnson
R: Dean Cox; Michael Voss (C); Chris Judd
I/C: Scott West; Mark Riccuito; Matthew Pavlich; Ben Cousins
Coach: Leigh Matthews

Team of the Decade 2010 to 2017 (not done yet but fun to think about)
FB: Corey Enright; Brian Lake; Nick Smith
HB: Luke Hodge; Alex Rance; Shaun Burgoyne
C: Scott Pendlebury; Sam Mitchell; Joel Selwood
HF: Cyril Rioli; Lance Franklin; Steve Johnson
FF: Jack Riewoldt; Josh J. Kennedy; Eddie Betts
FOLL: Todd Goldstein; Gary Ablett Jnr; Patrick Dangerfield
INT: Nate Fyfe; Josh P. Kennedy; Dustin Martin; Heath Shaw
Coach: Alastair Clarkson

Now these are pretty basic, and I mostly stole them from other sources, making a few modifications such as taking Nick Reiwoldt out of the 2010 to 2017 team as I think as good as Nick was his best football was not in the 2010 to 2017 period, not by a long shot. I also took out Dean Cox for the same reason. Also Buddy is not in the 2000's team as while he did play very well in that decade, the body of his work has been from 2010 onwards. I also had Judd in the 2000's team instead of the 2010's team as I think Judd was better in the 2000's.

I am also very sure that everyone will disagree with those teams, but I thought I would have them up as a general guide. Obviously, there is also some crossover between teams as well, though it is somewhat limited.

Feel free to put in your own teams/changes as well.

So overall though, what do you think of all three teams, how do you think the teams would go against each other?
Cyril Rioli? You’re absolutely having a lend. Archer twice? Pfffttttt

Cyril Rioli? You’re absolutely having a lend. Archer twice? Pfffttttt

At least the team has three smallish forwards. The other teams might struggle with that

Even from the same teams, Bartel over Dangerfield, and Rampe over Nick Smith

Salmon was a better pure ruckman over a longer period and Coreys injuries smashed his career and seriously inhibited his run of form..

However, if you were picking a side from all comers from the 1990's based upon excellent form runs, McKernan would be in the side as the second ruckman and Adrian McAdam would be there too. After Stynes, no ruckman burned brighter in the 1990's than Corey McKernan in 1996.

Rehn is the correct choice

Back