2018 Player Movements and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Boekhurst on board in 2018 for EF...bit of outside zip the club needs..... obviously Palmer is taking his time in deciding which club to play for in 2018....if any? Still think Cl and SF are front-runners....EF could do with the tsf fee I reckon after all their recruiting so far.

- Blaine Boekhorst has signed a two-year deal with East Fremantle. The former Swan Districts' player spent time with Carlton in the AFL but was delisted by the Blues after 25 games in three seasons. Boekhorst had held out hope the Blues would pick him up in the rookie draft but passed so he finds himself at Shark Park.
- Former Essendon midfielder Ben Howlett has joined Peel Thunder for 2018. Howlett played 61 games with the Thunder before being picked up Essendon in the 2009 rookie draft where he played 124 matches before just missing out on a list spot at the Bombers for the coming season.
- Rhys Palmer is believed to still be in talks with East Fremantle about a return to his former club for next season but is believed to also be considering a deal from Swan Districts.
- The WAFL has released its fixture for 2018 with night football at Subiaco Oval to feature during the year. With lighting still at the ground, it's believed the WAFL is keen to make use of the ability to play night games at the venue with at least one high-profile match to be played there during the season. Round One of the 2018 season starts with the Easter Round beginning on Friday, 30 March with the vast majority of matches this season to be played on Saturday afternoons.
- Michael Ablett will oversee the new Colts' program and development pathways in the WAFL, overseeing the Colts competition and the talent managers within the league. The move comes after the AFL committed $1 million of extra funding for the coming year.
- Delisted Fremantle ruckman Zac Clarke has joined Subiaco. Clarke played 101 AFL games with the Dockers and will begin training with the club when pre-season resumes on 8 January. Former West Perth utility Drew Rohde has also joined the Lions.
- Tom Gorter and Jackson Ramsay have signed with East Perth for 2018. Gorter spent one season as a rookie with West Coast Eagles before being delisted in October. Gorter spent the entire season with the Eagles' affiliate East Perth from where he was drafted. It's believed Gorter attracted interest from several clubs but opted to stay with his original club. Ramsay returns to the Royals after spending five seasons with Collingwood in the AFL where he played 23 games after being drafted in the 2012 national draft.
- Former West Coast Eagle Josh Hill has headed east and will play with Northern Blues in the VFL.

Last edited:

Absolutely beside myself with Perth’s signings. Very active. May even finish second last in 2018.
I presume you are allowing for Swans finishing last? :)

- Rhys Palmer has signed with Swan Districts for two seasons, tying the former Fremantle, Greater Western Sydney and Carlton player with Swans until the end of 2019. Palmer played 123 AFL games in total and was also pursued by former club East Fremantle during the off-season but chose to sign with the Bassendean based club.

Reckon all EF recruiting is done. Whilst Palmer would of been the icing on the cake, believe Boekhorst was more of a need than Palmer....lots of good youngsters coming thru who hopefully can develop and deliver for the club. Palmer is 29 and I reckon 2 years will be his max in the WAFL...SD have lost a load of experience and need him more than EF...who have added some much needed height and depth to the club.

Reckon all EF recruiting is done. Whilst Palmer would of been the icing on the cake, believe Boekhorst was more of a need than Palmer....lots of good youngsters coming thru who hopefully can develop and deliver for the club. Palmer is 29 and I reckon 2 years will be his max in the WAFL...SD have lost a load of experience and need him more than EF...who have added some much needed height and depth to the club.
Do you think we could challenge Dogs and Lions this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Shane Yarran is back at Subiaco after being released from prison late last year. Yarran has been training with the the Lions since mid-December under a rehabilitation program in joint partnership with the AFL Players' Association and hopes to return to playing in the WAFL sometime during 2018. Yarran played in Subiaco's 2014 and 2015 premierships before being drafted to Fremantle in the 2015 national draft where he played six games before retiring after a number of off-field incidents which culminated in a six month prison sentence during 2017.
- West Perth has welcomed back Matthew Johnson after Johnson opted to have a break from WAFL football in 2017. Johnson has signed with the Falcons for the next two seasons.

Last edited:
Mitch Cox and Ben Giobbi sign for Perth from Casey Demons in the VFL. Anybody know much about them?

Also see than Tunbridge is listed on the Perth players list, hopefully he's suiting up. Though I was hurt enough by Wellingham rejecting us so I won't get my hopes up.

Mitch Cox and Ben Giobbi sign for Perth from Casey Demons in the VFL. Anybody know much about them?

Also see than Tunbridge is listed on the Perth players list, hopefully he's suiting up. Though I was hurt enough by Wellingham rejecting us so I won't get my hopes up.

Giobbi was mostly split between VFL and VFL Development League (VFL Reserves) in 2017, he played eight games in the seniors and 11 in the reserves. Cox mostly played in the Development League (14 games) and seems to be a goalkicking midfielder (15 goals) at reserves level. It looks like both guys played in Casey Demons' VFL Development League premiership in 2017 as well.

As for Tunbridge, I believe any player delisted from their AFL club automatically returns to the list of their original WAFL club, I haven't heard or read anything about Tunbridge being back at Perth however although I did see he is listed their on their website. Hopefully he does play for the Demons as I think he would be a handy addition for them.

As for Tunbridge, I believe any player delisted from their AFL club automatically returns to the list of their original WAFL club, I haven't heard or read anything about Tunbridge being back at Perth however although I did see he is listed their on their website. Hopefully he does play for the Demons as I think he would be a handy addition for them.

Hopefully you are on the money with Tunners LJP. You'd think if he was playing WAFL in 2018 and crossing to a club other than Perth it would have been greater public knowledge by now.

Agree that Wellingham to EP alike to McGinnity with EP in 2017 (instead of Claremont) stinks like a turd for there "home clubs." Footy Commission don't want to pressure a retired or de-listed player to join their home club but it's really a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer again.

Similar to Newton crossing to Subi (instead of South) and to a lesser extent Zac Clarke to Subi when really other teams could use them more effectively to equalize the comp a bit.

Hopefully you are on the money with Tunners LJP. You'd think if he was playing WAFL in 2018 and crossing to a club other than Perth it would have been greater public knowledge by now.

Agree that Wellingham to EP alike to McGinnity with EP in 2017 (instead of Claremont) stinks like a turd for there "home clubs." Footy Commission don't want to pressure a retired or de-listed player to join their home club but it's really a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer again.

Similar to Newton crossing to Subi (instead of South) and to a lesser extent Zac Clarke to Subi when really other teams could use them more effectively to equalize the comp a bit.

To be fair with the McGinnity/Royals he'd played a heck of a lot of footy at East Perth over the past few years and was a significant part of club, much like a Craig Wulff heart and soul type.

Interesting to see Freo lay a claim on CL youngster Carter through their NGA and facilitate his move to Peel....tip of the iceberg stuff with the NGA only going to get bigger and better....lot of WAFL clubs are going to get shafted here..... understand Freo's decision to condolidate the boys development....but Cl get what out of it?..... nothing sadly.....tough already to compete against the aignment already without this added to the mix.

Interesting to see Freo lay a claim on CL youngster Carter through their NGA and facilitate his move to Peel....tip of the iceberg stuff with the NGA only going to get bigger and better....lot of WAFL clubs are going to get shafted here..... understand Freo's decision to condolidate the boys development....but Cl get what out of it?..... nothing sadly.....tough already to compete against the aignment already without this added to the mix.

Think it’s fair enough for the sake of his continuity and understanding of the Freo system before potential drafting as well Freeze.

Should be an obligation that he needs to play a certain amount of league footy if he is up to it but.

Won’t aid his development if he toils away at reserve level while for examples sake Danyle Pearce is playing regular WAFL seniors.

Claremont at the very least should be getting a transfer fee?

Claremont at the very least should be getting a transfer fee?

Not under the new WAFL talent structure sadly.

The WAFC implemented a "once in a generation" review of all competions, pathways,structures and governing models across WA football. The Boston Group recommendations implemented, post their $350000 review, that the WAFL alignment model will continue until atleast the end of the 2021 season, the WAFC to take control of the states colts system, where colts coaches will be hired directly by the WAFC. Whilst the development sides will still be aligned to their respective WAFL clubs, they will no longer be run by them starting from 2018. AFL draft fees would be kept by the WAFC and NOT paid to the WAFL clubs, except in cases involving mature age draftees.

Think it’s fair enough for the sake of his continuity and understanding of the Freo system before potential drafting as well Freeze.

Should be an obligation that he needs to play a certain amount of league footy if he is up to it but.

Won’t aid his development if he toils away at reserve level while for examples sake Danyle Pearce is playing regular WAFL seniors.

Understand Freo's thinking in regards to continuity and all that getgaff for Carter, just think it is wrong Cl get no compensation for the kid this year...financially or player wise.....Peel stock up their playing list, pay no tsf fee or even a "loan" fee for an obviously talented player. I know EF have 3 kids in the NGA who in a year or two could all be taken at once by Freo, for no compensation, tip of the iceberg stuff I reckon, especially as Freo's NGA obviously will get bigger and cast their net wider and wider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back