The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

I don't think we can succesfully get Kawhi back into form whilst keeping LMA happy and giving him his touches. I just really feel we need to trade out LMA soon, whilst his value is back up to a reasonable level, otherwise both he and Pau will be pretty unmovable contracts over the next few years. I just dont think we can be succesful in this current form, and a decision will need to be made soon if we want to build a championship team around a peak Kawhi. (Probably unfairly, I see Championships as success for the Spurs- for any other team you would be very happy with our recent records).

I mostly agree with you, but am not quite ready to give up on it just yet. I think there will come a time (maybe around February) where their curves intersect, so to speak (ie: Kawhi is playing about 25 mins per game, with no change to LA). I'd like to see how the team gels at this point in time and then go from there.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I mostly agree with you, but am not quite ready to give up on it just yet. I think there will come a time (maybe around February) where their curves intersect, so to speak (ie: Kawhi is playing about 25 mins per game, with no change to LA). I'd like to see how the team gels at this point in time and then go from there.

Yeah agreed - I'm still waiting to see how we adjust with Kawhi easing back into the team, but was thinking more about closer to the ASW & trade deadline.

Interesting article for those who haven't seen it:
http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/...nio-spurs-asked-traded-gregg-popovich-reveals

Pop opening up a bit about his discussions with LMA prior to the season, and good to see the usual humility from Pop and being open that he had made mistakes with how we were playing LMA last season.

Man, I love Pop. You just don't get this kind of transparency from anyone else in sports. No secrecy. Just straight out "he asked to be traded" and the response "well we won't get enough value for you so we won't". Then the humility to realise it was partly his fault.

Brilliant.

Kawhi out indefinitely again with the same quad injury that kept him out for the first 20+ games.

Reading between the lines, he could play, but is not at 100%... and might not be for the remainder of the season!

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Kawhi out indefinitely again with the same quad injury that kept him out for the first 20+ games.

Reading between the lines, he could play, but is not at 100%... and might not be for the remainder of the season!

Reading between the lines further, either we are not confident that we will be a legit contender in the playoffs, don't care enough about results/form at this stage of the season to risk him, or its actually a lot more serious than anyone has said or realised yet.

I'm hoping it is bit of column A and column B, and none at all of column C.

Reading between the lines further, either we are not confident that we will be a legit contender in the playoffs, don't care enough about results/form at this stage of the season to risk him, or its actually a lot more serious than anyone has said or realised yet.

I think we have realised that we can still make the Playoffs while resting Kawhi. We probably rushed him back a bit early, thinking we won't make the Playoffs without him. Essentially we can have our cake and eat it too.

On a side note, I get the feeling Pop would be enjoying the challenge this season has provided. He is probably having to coach more than he has had to in about 10 years.

Agreed drf. I think it's a bit of a & b.

My only other concern is that 50 win streak. Have to go 20-15 to keep the streak alive... BUT I saw somewhere that we have the toughest schedule remaining of all teams!

That home loss to the Pacers is an absolute killer. I classed it as a very important game to win.

Not that he was all by his lonesome, but 5 from 14 in such a game is why LA is always gonna attract criticism.

Not that he was all by his lonesome, but 5 from 14 in such a game is why LA is always gonna attract criticism.

Then he follows it up with 30 on 12 from 18 to sink the Cavs. Frustrating!

Then again, everyone has been beating up on the Cavs of late.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Are we all thinking there's nothing/little in the Kawhi stuff?

I'm sure he is very frustrated, and I'm sure both he and the club are looking at any possible options for recovery, but I just can't believe that him or his management would've leaked any info about him wanting to leave? That just seems to go against anything we have ever seen or heard from him whilst at the Spurs, his relationship with Pop, and just the huge advancements he's made with the club since entering the league.

MadTigerFan

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Astros, Spurs, 49ers, Liverpool
I'm not really worried about him leaving, I mean why would he, he won't find any place better.

Kawhi ain't going nowhere.

Jeez, Murray looked good against the Cavs. One of the benefits of all these injuries has been the improvement of Murray, Forbes and Anderson. Bertans as well.

I'm salivating thinking about our perimeter defence when we finally have a fit roster. Kawhi, Murray, Green, Mills, Ginobili and Forbes are going to frustrate a lot of teams.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs

I'm sure he is very frustrated, and I'm sure both he and the club are looking at any possible options for recovery, but I just can't believe that him or his management would've leaked any info about him wanting to leave? That just seems to go against anything we have ever seen or heard from him whilst at the Spurs, his relationship with Pop, and just the huge advancements he's made with the club since entering the league.

Media seems to think he wants out, who knows though, Kawhi comes across as a very humble guy who puts his head down and works hard, Pop loves him and I don’t see any reason why he would leave, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he did leave, he’s an A grade superstar and if we can’t surround him with quality he may seek opportunities elsewhere for more titles.

Media seems to think he wants out, who knows though, Kawhi comes across as a very humble guy who puts his head down and works hard, Pop loves him and I don’t see any reason why he would leave, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he did leave, he’s an A grade superstar and if we can’t surround him with quality he may seek opportunities elsewhere for more titles.

Gut feel suggests you're correct drf. If anything comes of it, I think it will be at least 2 years down the track. It might come down to UW93's point about surrounding him with quality when Manu, Pau & TP retire.

That Philly game did NOT happen. I don't think I've ever seen such un-Spurs like turnovers. How the margin was only 19 at the end is beyond me. Not great signs!

Just get to 50 (wins, not points).

Gents, I'd say that might be it for the 50 win season streak. If we can't beat a sub 500 team coming off a back-to-back who land at 6am due to plane trouble at home, then we'll be lucky to win as many as we lose for the remainder of the season (which won't be enough).

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Gents, I'd say that might be it for the 50 win season streak. If we can't beat a sub 500 team coming off a back-to-back who land at 6am due to plane trouble at home, then we'll be lucky to win as many as we lose for the remainder of the season (which won't be enough).

I think 50wins is still very much in play, and we are still on pace for it, and under Pop we have always lost these sorts of games that we have no business losing without it detailing the system.

The wider question is how do we make a big enough change to make this team a proper contender again - either now or in the next few years.

Is a healthy Kawhi that difference?
Do we trade out LMA now (or end of the year) either to make a change now or to get some assets to either make us better in future, or can be used for an offseason move?

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
A healthy Kawhi certainly is that difference, he was among MVP talk last season, he’s a great player but I get the feeling he is ready to leave, so if he does what then is our move? I’d have to say we keep LMA, he’s not the type to build around but move him and Kawhi on and struggle to attract some decent players and we could all of a sudden take a seriously bad fall.

I trust the process and would love AD to come on board, imagine Kawhi with Anthony Davis :O

Dags21

Senior List
Sep 1, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I think 50wins is still very much in play, and we are still on pace for it, and under Pop we have always lost these sorts of games that we have no business losing without it detailing the system.

The wider question is how do we make a big enough change to make this team a proper contender again - either now or in the next few years.

Is a healthy Kawhi that difference?
Do we trade out LMA now (or end of the year) either to make a change now or to get some assets to either make us better in future, or can be used for an offseason move?

The spurs are getting older no doubt.. but they’re sitting 3rd in th West atm... with kawhi not playing.
LMA has really shown his worth this season and DJMurray is really starting to show a bit of what he’s capable of...
The question is how to replace Parker, Manu and Green?
A 3 and D 2guard and a scoring combo guard will be needed for th future. Any ideas??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think our immediate need, aside from no injuries, is a genuine rim-protector.

If we can find a defensive Center that can play in our offense, letting us move Pau to the bench, we will be a contender again.

When you're relying on Joffrey Lauvergne to keep you in games... Forget getting to 50 wins... This team will be lucky to make the playoffs!

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Warning - cynical post coming:

With a 4 game losing streak, and the news that Kawhi might be out for the season, and much more of a concern is that it appears to be Kawhi's decision which might be in conflict with what our own medical staff are suggesting (I'm not concerned about waiting for Kawhi himself to feel his body is ready to return, I am concerned about the conflict of opinions and the heavily rumoured discord between the parties), the devils advocate in me is thinking about this:

How important are the 50-win and playoff streaks? (If, like me, you believe that without Kawhi, and maybe even with, we arent a chance against the Top 2 in the West).
We are 35-25, with 22 games left.
At the moment, 43-45wins will get you the 8th seed in the west.
We could go 8-14, or 10-12 and still miss the 8 (thus getting into the lottery).
We could go around .500 the rest of the way, get a low playoff seed, and then a mid-to-late teen's draft pick.
We could go 15-7 the rest of the way, get 50W, and likely the 3rd seed (and a mid 20's pick) - but its looking less likely.
We could even completely tank, but with our current 35W, and the drop off in standings after Detroit, we could not win another game and likely still end up with only the 12th worst record.

If you're the organisation (Not necessarily Pop or the Players - because they will want to win every single game they can, although Pop has tanked, incredibly succesfully, with us once before - but that was with a lot more than just 1 major injury) what is the best outcome from here?
Personally I think it comes down to Kawhi and what we think he is likely to do in the offseason.
If we think Kawhi is done with the organisation and will reject a contract extension, then I don't think we have a choice but to win as much as we can. The only way to attract potential FA's/trades in a Kawhi-less Spurs is to show that Pop can still win with whatever players he has got, and that getting the right stars will just improve that. It might also mean that our team for the next few years is centred around LMA, and we chase players who complement him.
But if we are confident of Kawhi getting back to being healthy for next season and happily signing that extension, then I don't think dropping our playoff seed, and improvement our draft pick into the teens, is a bad outcome, because I don't think a worse record on a Kawhi-less team is going to put off any potential top level FA's if they think they will be joining a healthy Kawhi next year.

Back