The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the AFL really said it wants 22 teams?
I doubt it but as someone mentioned earlier it would be great to have 21 or 23 sides so that we could have a proper draw.

It does seem crazy but with population growth expansion really shouldn't affect the standard too much in the future.

Say 2030'ish add Tasmania. The AFL would get guarantees from the government that they would financially support them, so it would not be a drain on the AFL ala GWS and GC. Then add Canberra shortly after. This will cost the AFL money but they should easily be able to support them and there is decent support in Canberra already.

Next around the 2040's add A Perth side. By then Freo and West Coast will have waiting lists so people who want to watch AFL football in Perth will have an option with a new side and like Tassie should have support early. After that another big mission with a third Sydney club.

My rationale is population and sufficient enough playing base. You contention was initially it didn't have the player base....Your arguments shift around with the integrity of jelly.

You are being a troll and a weirdo continuing to raise the pax thing. Like that weird transaction where you were PMing me to get me to argue with someone who had blocked you. "you're letting him off the hook" That was really weird weird stuff

Pax means "peace" by the way...as in pax Romana (the roman peace)...I referred to "pax Australian football" 12 months ago as a partly tongue in cheek reference to the so called code wars and how they might be ended.

I am probably one of a minority of Australian football fans who are keen on the game expanded and eventually rivaling rugby league north of the Barassi line. Most probably don't care, some see it as threatening. Each to their own. You have some weird obsession with me supporting expansion from some confused sense of moral superiority. You turned this thread ugly calling me a deluded idiot trying to mask it from the moderators. You need to get over yourself, the only thing stopping me from blocking you is laziness.

1) im not a troll, i post what I believe, whether its popular or not, whether you like it or not.

2) population isnt enough, you need a population who wants to engage. the notion "build it and they will come" doesnt work, and the Brisbane Bears was the ultimate case study in that.

3) I raise the pax thing because its symbolic of your view regarding sport. you have tunnel vision and seem to think AR is the only sport people want to like as long as they are exposed to it. Aussie rules is my fav sport, but it doesnt mean thats the way everyone else thinks. wanting funding diverted from rectangular fields to ovals (for instance) is evidence of this - you only want it because it someone helps your pax ar view of things, not because its what the locals in sydney want

4) I have always said you are a deluded idiot on your myopic view of sport. people like sports other than aussie rules, and not everyone wants to support aussie rules. youre an idiot if you think otherwise

1) im not a troll, i post what I believe, whether its popular or not, whether you like it or not.

Repeatedly misrepresenting a comment from 12 months previously to discredit someone is unambiguously troll behaviour. The fact you don't recognise it as such goes to your lack of introspection.

2) population isnt enough, you need a population who wants to engage. the notion "build it and they will come" doesnt work, and the Brisbane Bears was the ultimate case study in that.

Population isn't enough but it is a massive factor. When you are talking about establishing a club over decades, the test is how much of the population, in this case Newcastle over the decades following 2035, can be engaged with the club.

The Brisbane Bears is a case study the AFL have clearly learnt from. "Build it and they will come" is defintiely not the strategy the AFL have adopted in GWS and the GC

3) I raise the pax thing because its symbolic of your view regarding sport. you have tunnel vision and seem to think AR is the only sport people want to like as long as they are exposed to it. Aussie rules is my fav sport, but it doesnt mean thats the way everyone else thinks. wanting funding diverted from rectangular fields to ovals (for instance) is evidence of this - you only want it because it someone helps your pax ar view of things, not because its what the locals in sydney want

You are not even close to understanding my position. You lack critical thought and so can't discern the actual positions I have communicated from the caricatures you have constructed in your head.

I don't think "AR is the only sport people want to like as long as they are exposed to it". I like several other sports, not much a fan of League but even watch that occasionally. I've got no idea what you mean by not "wanting funding diverted from rectangular fields to ovals". If you are talking about the $2B stupidity, the locals in Sydney do not want it. The polling is absolutely clear on this. Not even rugby league fans apparently https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/bef5a331f0a7752cfbe8c0b2c49d0d78

4) I have always said you are a deluded idiot on your myopic view of sport. people like sports other than aussie rules, and not everyone wants to support aussie rules. youre an idiot if you think otherwise

I like several other sports and certainly don't think everyone wants to support aussie rules. You have no basis to form that conclusion from anything that I have posted. I don't have a myopic view of sport. I just have a passionate involvement in one sport in particularly that I am keen to expand. There is nothing wrong with that...you are making it wrong because you are still wired like a teenager who confuses their own sentiments with some kind of universal moral code.

I'm not into reporting but youve called me a deluded idiot several times not. I got a two week ban for calling you dense on one of the previous occassions you've gone on one of your little Gerard Henderson like weird goal-shifting hair-splitting nit-picking arguments of attrition.

Two ways of going with this....

More teams in football's heartland.

1. Williamstown Seagulls
2. Fitzroy Lions
3. Port Melbourne Borough
4. Tasmania Devils

Expand internationally.

1. Los Angeles Americans
2. Auckland Aces
3. Tokyo Samarai
4. London Monarchs or Shanghai Tsunami

Two ways of going with this....

More teams in football's heartland.

1. Williamstown Seagulls
2. Fitzroy Lions
3. Port Melbourne Borough
4. Tasmania Devils

Expand internationally.

1. Los Angeles Americans
2. Auckland Aces
3. Tokyo Samarai
4. London Monarchs or Shanghai Tsunami

So the Port Philip bay area would go from 10 to 13 teams, yet the 2nd biggest footy market in Perth only has 2?

Overseas is really only possible for NZ. Otherwise the time & cost of overseas travel, let alone a stadium to play in a foreign land, would be prohibitive.

Tasmania
Sydney
WA
Canberra

But seriously, I hope they don't add 4 more. We've still got 2 expansions clubs yet to find their feet and establish themselves fully. We don't need 4 speculative teams any time soon. The talent will be spread even thinner and every team will need to travel more or further and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Tasmania
Sydney
WA
Canberra

But seriously, I hope they don't add 4 more. We've still got 2 expansions clubs yet to find their feet and establish themselves fully. We don't need 4 speculative teams any time soon. The talent will be spread even thinner and every team will need to travel more or further and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

But their are clubs in Victoria who simply don't cut it financially. They've been here 100 years, so when, ever, will they be sustainable without massive help??

Why ignore that situation & only look at clubs in new expansion areas?

But their are clubs in Victoria who simply don't cut it financially. They've been here 100 years, so when, ever, will they be sustainable without massive help??

Why ignore that situation & only look at clubs in new expansion areas?
We shouldnt be expanding at all at this stage imo. Revisit the question in 10 years. I would discuss a relocation of a VIC club to Tassie before talk of adding more numbers.

We shouldnt be expanding at all at this stage imo. Revisit the question in 10 years. I would discuss a relocation of a VIC club to Tassie before talk of adding more numbers.

For what reason should Tassie get some suburban Melbourne club dumped on its door?.

Should we somehow feel 'grateful' for that? A club with no affiliation to Tasmania nor its football history.

Should that clubs own fans feel 'grateful' for that too? And which club should that be pray tell?

No way would a club banished from Melbourne be accepted here.

For what reason should Tassie get some suburban Melbourne club dumped on its door?.

Should we somehow feel 'grateful' for that? A club with no affiliation to Tasmania nor its football history.

Should that clubs own fans feel 'grateful' for that too? And which club should that be pray tell?

Well the league isnt ready for another expansion side imo, so perhaps Tassie may wait a bit longer.

A relocated and rebranded team afresh in Tassie is still a Tassie team. Basically we are removing one from a saturated market and creating a team in a new market. Its still a new team in Tasmania.

Well the league isnt ready for another expansion side imo, so perhaps Tassie may wait a bit longer.

A relocated and rebranded team afresh in Tassie is still a Tassie team. Basically we are removing one from a saturated market and creating a team in a new market. Its still a new team in Tasmania.

Would it be? It took 20 years or so for Sydney to accept South Melbourne. I doubt all Souths old supporters see them as Sydney except as the name on the scoreboard. In fact Sydney had to pump the 'Bloods' & "South' thing to get traction in Melbourne. Fitzroy & Brisbane, well thats another storey.

Tasmania with a strong Footy tradition is not 'new' territory. Just like WA & SA, Tas isn't likely to just follow some ex Victorian Suburban team because the AFL say so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it be? It took 20 years or so for Sydney to accept South Melbourne. I doubt all Souths old supporters see them as Sydney except as the name on the scoreboard. In fact Sydney had to pump the 'Bloods' & "South' thing to get traction in Melbourne. Fitzroy & Brisbane, well thats another storey.

Tasmania with a strong Footy tradition is not 'new' territory. Just like WA & SA, Tas isn't likely to just follow some ex Victorian Suburban team because the AFL say so.
No one is saying you have to. But if there was a team in Tasmania do you think Tassies wouldnt follow it?

No one is saying you have to. But if there was a team in Tasmania do you think Tassies wouldnt follow it?

Absolutely. That happened in WA & SA. The issue with 'support' is memberships. Just because someone here may be a a Blues, Pies, Bombers follower or whatever, they'll become a member to watch regular footy. Like WA & SA they'll follow a local side.

They're less likely to bother with a 'forced' transplant of someone elses club.

And if they were to remove a Vic side and create one in Tas using the now vacant slot, do you really think the Tas team wouldn't have a remarkable resemblance to the ex-team?

Pretty sure they'd be a major part of how the 'new' playing list was put together....and having a good collection of experience off field staff suddenly available would surely be of interest to those setting up the new club as well. I dare say a not insubstantial part of the equipment would also find its way south.

So really the big difference is that you'd lose any Victorian fans and the capacity to do a reversal of what Hawthorn does in Tas and have a significant number of Vic members & sponsors, along with the revenue that goes with it.

I suppose it's just as well that a Tas team has such a compelling financial case that a major revenue stream like this wouldn't matter to them....:rolleyes:

Tasmania should be the number 1 priority
3rd WA team, most likely more northern (like Broome) and playing some games in Darwin
Vic Country in the East (Sale maybe?)
Vic Country to the West/ North West (Ballarat or Bendigo)

I was going to suggest Canberra but the AFL would never do that as it creates competition for membership with GWS

Tasmania should be the number 1 priority
3rd WA team, most likely more northern (like Broome) and playing some games in Darwin
Vic Country in the East (Sale maybe?)
Vic Country to the West/ North West (Ballarat or Bendigo)

I was going to suggest Canberra but the AFL would never do that as it creates competition for membership with GWS

Clearly you don't think a club needs fans, or to make their own money.

I know as a GWS fan you're not familiar with these concepts, but I have no doubt the AFL is aware of them.

WA3
Tas
NZ (split between Auckland and Wellington)
Central Coast/Newcastle

The last one is probably 30 years away minimum though

Clearly you don't think a club needs fans, or to make their own money.

I know as a GWS fan you're not familiar with these concepts, but I have no doubt the AFL is aware of them.
* you caught me, my plan is to run the AFL broke supporting clubs that can't make their own money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back