FTA-TV Britannia

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Britannia is an upcoming British historical period drama written by Jez Butterworth that is scheduled to air on Sky Atlantic in the UK and Ireland, and be available on Amazon Prime Video in the US.[2] The ten-part series stars Kelly Reilly, David Morrissey, Zoë Wanamaker, Liana Cornell and Stanley Weber. The series is the first co-production between Sky and Amazon Prime Video.[3]

All episodes will be available on demand in the UK starting on 18 January 2018.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_(TV_series)

The trailer isn't grabbing me and I'm not convinced by the casting of David Morrissey and Zoë Wanamaker - but worth a look maybe.

Britannia is an upcoming British historical period drama written by Jez Butterworth that is scheduled to air on Sky Atlantic in the UK and Ireland, and be available on Amazon Prime Video in the US.[2] The ten-part series stars Kelly Reilly, David Morrissey, Zoë Wanamaker, Liana Cornell and Stanley Weber. The series is the first co-production between Sky and Amazon Prime Video.[3]

All episodes will be available on demand in the UK starting on 18 January 2018.[4]

The trailer isn't grabbing me and I'm not convinced by the casting of David Morrissey and Zoë Wanamaker - but worth a look maybe.

The soundtrack isn't really working for it but I'll check in anyway.

Watched this preview, will watch ep1, bonus was hearing Hurdy Gurdy Man for first time in ages.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Ep one.

There were a few good things such as Mackenzie Crook as a heavily made up Druid magic man and some of the locations looked pretty. But generally it was tosh. Much of the dialog was cheesy - mixing oldey worldy talk with modern delivery. They all spoke English of course but the accents were all over the place. The camera work was gimicky with its in focus/out of focus. The soundtrack was clichéd and the title song is not a good fit. If you are a fan of the genre you could excuse all that, along with the historical inaccuracies, but not the lack of feels.

If you are missing Game of Thrones try The Last Kingdom, or The Pillars of the Earth. Or Excalibur by John Boorman.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Ep one.

There were a few good things such as Mackenzie Crook as a heavily made up Druid magic man and some of the locations looked pretty. But generally it was tosh. Much of the dialog was cheesy - mixing oldey worldy talk with modern delivery. They all spoke English of course but the accents were all over the place. The camera work was gimicky with its in focus/out of focus. The soundtrack was clichéd and the title song is not a good fit. If you are a fan of the genre you could excuse all that, along with the historical inaccuracies, but not the lack of feels.

If you are missing Game of Thrones try The Last Kingdom, or The Pillars of the Earth. Or Excalibur by John Boorman.
Yeah, I agree with your review, but i'll watch it some more and see how it goes as it had enough to keep interested.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
The soundtrack isn't really working for it but I'll check in anyway.
It actually has to settle like all things, but I would hope that it sits well like Vikings, and shows itself up to good historical fiction, of which I'm a huge fan .
It did move slow first episode , and I guess we know who the young girl is. Or do we?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Looks awful.
Well I thought Viking TV series may have been in the same vein of Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis Vikings, when I first heard about it, but it turned into a classic, not unlike the movie about Alfred the Great, David Hemmings played him.
It was the first time that actors make up, always over done didn't turn it into a Saturday arvo matinee.
That old movie was the first I saw of battles that looked like battles and dirt and filth and fear.

So I say we need to give Britannia a bit of time to develop.

But with the druids, I hope they don't stuff it up with too much supernatural imaginings!

It actually has to settle like all things, but I would hope that it sits well like Vikings, and shows itself up to good historical fiction, of which I'm a huge fan .
It did move slow first episode , and I guess we know who the young girl is. Or do we?

Missed the first but if it gets really good reviews, think I might like to binge watch later.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
4 episodes in and it is okay. It hasn't hit the heights I was hoping it would.

Yeah same after 3 eps. Too much cheesy dialog and B grade acting. We even had cheeky chappy cockney PC Nick Klein from the Bill as a Roman soldier. Would have loved to have seen him say to the David Morrisey character 'knock it on head, Governor'. Gedit? Governor. I'm here all week!

Quite like the Mackenzie Crook druid and Kelly Reilly's female ginger ninja. Otherwise it's Carry On up the Old Kent Road.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
6 eps in and it's actually improved. The opposite of most series that make sure episode 1 is a humdinger then it tails off. Still reckon there's a few casting issues and some dodgy scenes but the storyline is not bad.

I'm going all the way.

Back