MFC Fans Only 2017/2018 Summer sports talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting decision from Johan Botha to promote himself to #5 so he can block out the rest of the innings in the last 5 overs of a T20...

Edit: So enter Daniel Worrall to bowl some absolute poop and take the pressure off.

Liking Punter's commentary tonight. Has a bee in his bonnet and is firing shots at a few people. More interesting then talking about wonderful everyone is.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Interesting decision from Johan Botha to promote himself to #5 so he can block out the rest of the innings in the last 5 overs of a T20...

Edit: So enter Daniel Worrall to bowl some absolute poop and take the pressure off.

Liking Punter's commentary tonight. Has a bee in his bonnet and is firing shots at a few people. More interesting then talking about wonderful everyone is.

Punter is the best of the ex players to get into commentary. Was picking up an English feed of the ashes and Punter did stints and was great to listen too.

Imagine going from him to Clarkey as a player

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Faulkner shouldn’t be on the list next year, bloke has fallen away quickly. He no longer has the power hitting and his bowling is not troubling at all.

While I’m at it Ben Dunk should hand back his pay cheque this season

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Punter is the best of the ex players to get into commentary. Was picking up an English feed of the ashes and Punter did stints and was great to listen too.

Imagine going from him to Clarkey as a player

I like him, but have found he is one of the more biased of the commentators when the hurricanes are playing. Last time I watched a hobart game he was pretty much openly cheering them on.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I like him, but have found he is one of the more biased of the commentators when the hurricanes are playing. Last time I watched a hobart game he was pretty much openly cheering them on.

You haven't heard M Waugh commentate a thunder game?

Last year when Eoin Morgan hit a six to win a game, he cheered the ball off the bat and over the fence.

You haven't heard M Waugh commentate a thunder game?

Last year when Eoin Morgan hit a six to win a game, he cheered the ball off the bat and over the fence.
And he has done nearly every Hurricanes game, spending the whole time saying how s**t the Hurricanes are. Even during a 5 game win streak.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hate Clarke but he and Punter are two sides of the same coin - Punter a great leader of men, Clarke a tactical genius.

Pardon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
You don't think he was very good tactically?

Not really. He was definitely aggressive as a skipper, but never thought he was anything resembling a tactical genius.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Innovative....?

Was he?

Was having a bit of a think on this last night. I don't really think captains do as much tactical / planning work as they used to. Everyone talks about executing plans for certain players and whatnot, and all of this is generated by stat monkeys doing data mining on teams, pitches, conditions, types of bowling, batsmen's dismissals and scoring zones, etc, passed on to the coaching / management team and they then put it together and devise your A, B, C for certain teams / players.

If we're talking decisions like making tempting / sporting declarations and backing your side in to do the job, I don't think of that as tactics. Executing or adapting plans to get a good batsman out is where it's at. I know Clarke set some funky fields at times, but its the same as chucking the ball to a part-timer for a short spell; if it works you're a "genius", but most of the time it doesn't because they're not a genuine bowler. I would say guys like Warne and McCullum are good at this - about the only benefit of having on-field mics has been getting the thought process from these guys as they're working out how to get a guy out. On the opposite end of the spectrum you had guys like Cook and maybe Root to a lesser extent who just seem to let the game aimlessly drift and have their bowlers pound in just hoping for a bad shot.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Was he?

Was having a bit of a think on this last night. I don't really think captains do as much tactical / planning work as they used to. Everyone talks about executing plans for certain players and whatnot, and all of this is generated by stat monkeys doing data mining on teams, pitches, conditions, types of bowling, batsmen's dismissals and scoring zones, etc, passed on to the coaching / management team and they then put it together and devise your A, B, C for certain teams / players.

If we're talking decisions like making tempting / sporting declarations and backing your side in to do the job, I don't think of that as tactics. Executing or adapting plans to get a good batsman out is where it's at. I know Clarke set some funky fields at times, but its the same as chucking the ball to a part-timer for a short spell; if it works you're a "genius", but most of the time it doesn't because they're not a genuine bowler. I would say guys like Warne and McCullum are good at this - about the only benefit of having on-field mics has been getting the thought process from these guys as they're working out how to get a guy out. On the opposite end of the spectrum you had guys like Cook and maybe Root to a lesser extent who just seem to let the game aimlessly drift and have their bowlers pound in just hoping for a bad shot.

Clarke tried different things, when they come off they are innovate, when they don't people think WTF are you doing.

I love listening to Ponting commentate, very good knowledge of the game and i think now people are realizing he was a lot more tactical during his time as Aussie captain than he was given credit for.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Clarke tried different things, when they come off they are innovate, when they don't people think WTF are you doing.

I love listening to Ponting commentate, very good knowledge of the game and i think now people are realizing he was a lot more tactical during his time as Aussie captain than he was given credit for.

I think punter doesn't get as much credit for being a tactical genius because he didn't need to do too much. You don't need to try too many crazy things when you have the team he had for most of his captaincy, they just win anyway.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I think punter doesn't get as much credit for being a tactical genius because he didn't need to do too much. You don't need to try too many crazy things when you have the team he had for most of his captaincy, they just win anyway.

Yeah definitely helps having the side he had, everyone knew he could manage the egos. But i'd say his commentary has shown an insight into the game many didn't regard during his playing days.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Yeah definitely helps having the side he had, everyone knew he could manage the egos. But i'd say his commentary has shown an insight into the game many didn't regard during his playing days.
I've said to multiple people, you'll learn more about the tactical side of cricket - and probably cricket in general from watching a BBL game with Ponting and Gilchrist commentating than you will watching a full 5 days of a test on Ch9

Punter was actually very conservative as a captain. Cost us the Ashes in 2009 by not bowling Hilfenhaus when England was 9-for in the First Test to avoid a suspension for slow over rates.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I don't see that as being innovative, I see that as trying different things. You can change the field 6 times an over and it doesn't make you an innovator. Innovation is doing something new and ground-breaking or adapting something in a new way (ie reverse swing); T20 is s**t and giggle but it has been driving this in the way batsmen play (reverse sweeps, scoops, laps, etc are now pretty much a stock shot) and bowlers bowl (slower ball bouncers, wide full tosses, etc that are normally horrendous balls but work when players are being overly aggressive).

It's not that any of that s**t is brand spanking new and never seen before, but it worked so well for the guys who were doing it that the rest of the competition had to learn those skills to take advantage as well. Driving change in the competition is innovation. Can't think of anything Clarke did brilliantly that had the rest of the world scrambling to unravel his magic.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good start by England.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I guess with the one-day series being wrapped up they've started the T20s early.

Back