Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No, not in the forward line, no.

He's a more versatile player, but as a forward, Jack is better.
He simply isn’t, and you will never convince me otherwise.
Reiwoldt has a whopping 7 more career goals than Rough, while he’s played the majority of his career a stay at home forward(where Rough has played almost everywhere on the ground).

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
He simply isn’t, and you will never convince me otherwise.
Reiwoldt has a whopping 7 more career goals than Rough, while he’s played the majority of his career a stay at home forward(where Rough has played almost everywhere on the ground).
Mate, Riewoldt has been a conduit/high half for the last few years...you don't watch Richmond much, do you? This year is first year he has gone back (through necessity).

Roughead has also played 28 more games than Jack. At his average/game, it would make the goal difference over 70 goals. Nice of you to compare like for like though.

Only two players have kicked 50 goals in 7/8 seasons, Buddy and Jack. Josh Kennedy would have joined them but for injury.

You won't convince me the other way either.

Mate, Riewoldt has been a conduit/high half for the last few years...you don't watch Richmond much, do you? This year is first year he has gone back (through necessity).

Roughead has also played 28 more games than Jack. At his average/game, it would make the goal difference over 70 goals. Nice of you to compare like for like though.

Only two players have kicked 50 goals in 7/8 seasons, Buddy and Jack. Josh Kennedy would have joined them but for injury.

You won't convince me the other way either.
Please.

Reiwoldt has been Richmond’s (almost)soul marking forward for years, whether that is high half forward or not, Hardwick has kept him close to goal.

Roughead has played the majority of the last 7 years anywhere and everywhere, on the back of Gunston, Hale and Franklin(amongst others) sharing the forward line and Clarkson’s love of versatile play-anywhere players, and he has still kicked goals weekly.

Harvey > Johnson
Haha.

Harvey - 215 games, 253 goals, 22.3 disposals per game. 4 x AA
Johnson - 225 games, 447 goals, 20.8 disposals per game. 5 x AA (1 as captain)

Harvey's highest goal tally in this era was 36 goals. Johnson kicked more than this in 8 of the 10 years in question.

Pretty bloody easy choice for the position in question (fwd pocket)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Carey also did not put on defensive pressure. I looked at his most sucessful year in terms of goals (1996) and there were 2 separate three-week stints where he laid no tackles at all, not one, so basically as soon as Rance got the ball he could do whatever he felt like as Carey would not have stopped him.

Malcolm Blight falling out of his chair laughing if he read that.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
We were discussing this in another thread, about the difference between eras so I thought I would create a thread to compare the best teams of each decade. Now the main rule here, is that a player has to of played either their best football in that decade, or at the very least close to their best football, and more than for a single season.

I must admit, I am not well versed on the halfbacks or so of the 90's so I stole this best 22 for the 90's from a thread back in 2002 on another forum

Team of Decade 1990 to 1999
FB
Gavin Wanganeen; Steven Silvagni; Glenn Archer
HB Guy McKenna; Glen Jakovich; Nigel Smart
C Peter Matera; Greg Williams Craig Bradley
HF Michael Voss; Wayne Carey (Capt); James Hird
FF Darren Jarman; Tony Lockett; Gary Ablett
FOLL Shaun Rehn; Nathan Buckley; Paul Kelly
INT Paul Salmon; Garry Hocking; Robert Harvey; Ben Hart
COACH Denis Pagan

Team of the Decade 2000-2009:
B:
Glenn Archer; Matthew Scarlett; Dustin Fletcher
HB: Andrew McLeod; Justin Leppitsch; Nigel Lappin
C: Adam Goodes; Nathan Buckley; Simon Black
HF: Matthew Richardson; Warren Tredrea; Brendan Fevola
F: Jason Akermanis; Matthew Lloyd; Brad Johnson
R: Dean Cox; Michael Voss (C); Chris Judd
I/C: Scott West; Mark Riccuito; Matthew Pavlich; Ben Cousins
Coach: Leigh Matthews

Team of the Decade 2010 to 2017 (not done yet but fun to think about)
FB: Corey Enright; Brian Lake; Nick Smith
HB: Luke Hodge; Alex Rance; Shaun Burgoyne
C: Scott Pendlebury; Sam Mitchell; Joel Selwood
HF: Cyril Rioli; Lance Franklin; Steve Johnson
FF: Jack Riewoldt; Josh J. Kennedy; Eddie Betts
FOLL: Todd Goldstein; Gary Ablett Jnr; Patrick Dangerfield
INT: Nate Fyfe; Josh P. Kennedy; Dustin Martin; Heath Shaw
Coach: Alastair Clarkson

Now these are pretty basic, and I mostly stole them from other sources, making a few modifications such as taking Nick Reiwoldt out of the 2010 to 2017 team as I think as good as Nick was his best football was not in the 2010 to 2017 period, not by a long shot. I also took out Dean Cox for the same reason. Also Buddy is not in the 2000's team as while he did play very well in that decade, the body of his work has been from 2010 onwards. I also had Judd in the 2000's team instead of the 2010's team as I think Judd was better in the 2000's.

I am also very sure that everyone will disagree with those teams, but I thought I would have them up as a general guide. Obviously, there is also some crossover between teams as well, though it is somewhat limited.

Feel free to put in your own teams/changes as well.

So overall though, what do you think of all three teams, how do you think the teams would go against each other?
gary ablett won 3 competition mvps in 2000-09 and was the favourite for the brownlow in all 3 of those years. He should be the first player picked.

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Goldstein being in the side must be some sort of joke. He has had 1 good season and generally can't play if things aren't going his way. Sandilands has absolutely pantsed him throughout his whole career, including the season he was AA.

Goldstein being in the side must be some sort of joke.

The team structures are the opinion of the OP, not a representation of the wider AFL expert opinion. No need to be riled up over it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goldstein being in the side must be some sort of joke. He has had 1 good season and generally can't play if things aren't going his way. Sandilands has absolutely pantsed him throughout his whole career, including the season he was AA.
Goldy's last couple of years have been average but to suggest he's only had 1 good season proves how ignorant and lacking you are.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
90-99
Wanganeen Silvagni Roos
Worsfold Jakovich McLeod
P.Kelly Williams Matera
Jarman Carey Hird
Daicos Lockett Ablett
Stynes Harvey Buckley
Couch Dunstall Cousins Ricciuto

00-09
Fletcher Scarlett Wanganeen
Enright Leppitsch McLeod
Black Voss Hird
Akermanis Richardson Franklin
Chapman Lloyd Ablett
Cox Judd Buckley
Ricciuto Goodes Pavlich Cousins

10-present
Enright Scarlett Rance
Hodge Hurley Shaw
Dangerfield Pendlebury Ablett
Gray Franklin Roughead
Betts Kennedy Rioli
Sandilands Kennedy Mitchell
Selwood Goodes Johnson Burgoyne

Hard to go past 00-09 for overall quality.
3 of the best to play the game in Voss, Hird and Bucks.
The likes of Ricciuto, Goodes, Cousins, Black and Aker behind them
modern greats in Ablett, Judd and Buddy.
The best backline amongst the 3
10 brownlows. Fair amount of Colemans.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
It is interesting. I would back Rance to be able to not only neutralise Carey, but also run off him and I would put Lake on Dunstall and I think he would go quite well as well. Both are attacking defenders, so when they get the ball, they can run off their opponents and turn it into an attacking opportunity.

Ablett is a bit tougher, as I am not sure who would go on him as he is a bit too small for a tall defender. Nick Smith might have to go on him and I don't know how that would work, though Smith, a few years ago, he was second to none when it came to shutting down small or medium forwards. Perhaps someone can think of a better defender though than Smith to go on Ablett, as he would have to be a small to medium defender.
Carey at his peak would destroy Rance.
Rance's strengths come from his ability to spoil and outmuscle his man
Carey was a pack battering ram. I dont think he'd have much of an issue with the physical side of Rance's game, or his reading of the play.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Youd think with the imaginary task of going head to head the 10s team would select a darren glass type instead of these Fletcher clones (Fletcher could be any decades team - did he ever stand carey?)

90-99
Wanganeen Silvagni Roos
Worsfold Jakovich McLeod
P.Kelly Williams Matera
Jarman Carey Hird
Daicos Lockett Ablett
Couch Harvey Cousins Ricciuto

00-09
Fletcher Scarlett Wanganeen
Enright Leppitsch McLeod
Black Voss Hird
Akermanis Richardson Franklin
Chapman Lloyd Ablett
Cox Judd Buckley
Ricciuto Goodes Pavlich Cousins

10-present
Enright Scarlett Rance
Hodge Hurley Shaw
Dangerfield Pendlebury Ablett
Gray Franklin Roughead
Betts Kennedy Rioli
Sandilands Kennedy Mitchell
Selwood Goodes Johnson Burgoyne

Hard to go past 00-09 for overall quality.
3 of the best to play the game in Voss, Hird and Bucks.
The likes of Ricciuto, Goodes, Cousins, Black and Aker behind them
modern greats in Ablett, Judd and Buddy.
The best backline amongst the 3
10 brownlows. Fair amount of Colemans.
Well thought out sides, but you may want to add your rucks for the 1st team.

Please.

Reiwoldt has been Richmond’s (almost)soul marking forward for years, whether that is high half forward or not, Hardwick has kept him close to goal.

Roughead has played the majority of the last 7 years anywhere and everywhere, on the back of Gunston, Hale and Franklin(amongst others) sharing the forward line and Clarkson’s love of versatile play-anywhere players, and he has still kicked goals weekly.

So you're confirming you haven't actually watched Richmond much.

BTW. I'd play Roughhead ahead of Jack...not because he's a better forward (he isn't) but because the team lacks a no2 ruckman. Roughhead is the Ty Vickery of that team.

The lack of Tarkyn Lockyer in any of these teams is disappointing.

His thirteen or so games in the 1990’s and 10 games in the 2010’s surely put him up with the elite. Don’t even get me started on his injury interrupted 2000’s.

Y’all have no idea.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Rob Harvey on the bench for the '90's team is very humorous! :D

Made 7 AA teams that decade and won 2 Brownlow's, an AFL MVP, 4 club B&F's, and 3 EJ Whitten medals- for best for Victoria in SOO, when the best of the best were still playing and meaning it.

N-Roo not in the 00's team is almost as amusing!

But Ruciotto won like 8 AAs but hardly any Crows B&Fs...

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Just did this decade:

B: Dustin Fletcher, Matthew Scarlett, Tom Lonergan
HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, David Wojcinski