Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh no!

If Harley works for Swans, could his son wear a Geelong guernsey? I'd want my child to wear a Geelong guernsey - no matter which club I worked for lol

His son could wear any jumper he likes, no-one in Balmain would have any idea who Tom is or what he does for a living! Same deal with all the GWS players who live in the area and hang out on Darling Street (for anyone interested Phil Davis has perfected the hipster/homeless man look).

How long do potential players need to be living in the academy zone for? Potentially a father son such as Harley could be picked by the Swans academy. I think that's a grey area in the rules I don't mind the idea of the academy helping to develop players in non traditional football areas. But something about these f/s qualifying rubs me the wrong way.

How long do potential players need to be living in the academy zone for? Potentially a father son such as Harley could be picked by the Swans academy. I think that's a grey area in the rules I don't mind the idea of the academy helping to develop players in non traditional football areas. But something about these f/s qualifying rubs me the wrong way.
There are two players this year who are in that exact situation - Blakey and Scott have eligibility through f/s and academy. So far as I can tell players need to be enrolled in the academy from a relatively early age (13ish) and that's about it. Some of the GWS academy guys just play in the TAC and aren't really developed by the academy at all.

All clubs involved can choose to nominate them, the player can only accept one nomination.

Well if Stevie J stays living in Sydney his boys are likely to end up developing through academyies.

Need to get him as an assistant coach.

His son could wear any jumper he likes, no-one in Balmain would have any idea who Tom is or what he does for a living! Same deal with all the GWS players who live in the area and hang out on Darling Street (for anyone interested Phil Davis has perfected the hipster/homeless man look).

True, still, for those of us who know, it's disappointing.

Can guarantee that next time Harely is at KP with his son, a Geelong guernsey will be worn ;)

F/S does get the preference - same as Academy kids.

The AFL has kinda merged the F/S and Academy stuff the newer clubs dont have F/S access yet - thats a very broad overview of it.

GO Catters
There is also not really a preference when a kid falls into both categories... basically all 3 clubs are eligible to sign him and it's up to him who he nominates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news regarding Oscar brownless???

Is he in the frame for vic country???

I am hoping Geelong has another big tall key forward come along!
Brownless will be drafted but is a tall mid.

Any news regarding Oscar brownless???

Is he in the frame for vic country???

I am hoping Geelong has another big tall key forward come along!

If you are hoping for a big tall KF you need to forget about Oscar Brownless.
Oscar is only about 186 cm tall. He is more a midfielder/half forward than a key forward.

If you are hoping for a big tall KF you need to forget about Oscar Brownless.
Oscar is only about 186 cm tall. He is more a midfielder/half forward than a key forward.
Outside midfielder/running defender.

Sentence about key forward not related to Oscar brown less, I am aware he is a midfielder. What I wanted to find out was if he is looking a lively type this year. Will he even be representing country?
One would think he’s a cert for Vic Country.

Anyone shed any light on any youngsters in the next tier coming through?

Not this current lot but 15/16 yrs old, interested as to who else is out there.

Thanks daz, really appreciate you explaining it. Well that makes it fairer for newer clubs. Except the sons of StevieJ, Pops Kelly, Travis Varcoe et al (if they're fantastic) better come to Geelong!

Yes ..takes care of the new clubs. To some degree ..its just like when West Coast etc came in..and we missed on Cousins.. (although that may have been fortunate in the end). He had the choice to play for Geelong or stay home with a WestCoast FSon rule ..although Brian did not play for them. This year Scott has three clubs ..Blakey is the same. North has a chance to get both yet may get neither.
Till Scott says he was to play for Geelong , i will assume he will prefer to stay local.

Yes ..takes care of the new clubs. To some degree ..its just like when West Coast etc came in..and we missed on Cousins.. (although that may have been fortunate in the end).

Pretty big sliding door there for Cousins. I don't think Mainwaring etc were the best role models for him but if he comes to Geelong maybe he is friends with Chappy/Bray and it turns out the same or worse...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back