Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
A section of opposition fans think he plays for frees. Can’t see that changing. No point worrying about it. You can’t use reason with idiots or fanatics, both here and elsewhere.
Well you can. There's just no point though.
"Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
- Jonathan Swift

Or, as a mate of mine used to say, shaking his head "You can't edumacate idiots".

Against the “Selwood ducks” brigade, walking into machine gun fire is more likely to work.
That's one big brigade too. Probably could have stopped Hitler getting to Moscow.
The trolling on this site about Selwood is out of control, main board is uninhabitable during football season.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Against the “Selwood ducks” brigade, walking into machine gun fire is more likely to work.
It has one beneficial side-effect.
"Does Selwood duck?" remains the best threshold question for testing footy knowledge.
The answer gives a ready guide as to whether to continue with a sensible footy discussion, or simply walk away.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
"Does Selwood duck?" remains the best threshold question for testing footy knowledge.
The answer gives a ready guide as to whether to continue with a sensible footy discussion, or simply walk away.

It is. He doesn't duck. I've never seen him duck into a tackle ever. Not once.

Does he shrug his shoulders? Yes. But that's legal. And any supporter with any kind of functioning brain cells, and they do exist, acknowledge that.

Does he shrug his shoulders? Yes. But that's legal. And any supporter with any kind of functioning brain cells, and they do exist, acknowledge that.
He's done it once in his career. About 8 years ago in the forward pocket against Carlton.

That's it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Spot of bad weather. Unlucky. It wasn't like others had tried and failed (except Napoleon, and Charles XII).
yep bad weather combined with assassians on skis. But he could of avoided it if he didnt delay his march by four weeks to attack czechoslavakia for stupid reasons. This decision cost him victory.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Which wouldn't have mattered anyway, fall of Moscow wouldn't have beaten the Russians, they'd have just done the same as when Napoleon invaded, keep falling back until supplies and the cold got the better of them.
We need a WW2 thread....
Possibly. If the germans took russia they would of nabbed stalin which would of had russian leadership in disarray. Also no reason why germany would care about taking anything beyond Moscow.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
yep bad weather combined with assassians on skis. But he could of avoided it if he didnt delay his march by four weeks to attack czechoslavakia for stupid reasons. This decision cost him victory.
That and instead of working with the Ukraine who hated Russia and would of fought along side Germany, Hitler decided to brutalise them and turned them into an enemy.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Possibly. If the germans took russia they would of nabbed stalin which would of had russian leadership in disarray. Also no reason why germany would care about taking anything beyond Moscow.

I don't think Stalin would have stayed still and allowed himself to be caught, also on the above, that's Hitlers hallmark in the second half of the war, complete and utter self sabotage.
My favourite is hearing reports he gave within the last few months of the war to fictitious armies and units.

Selwood - Duck-PremiershipMedals.png

Spot of bad weather. Unlucky. It wasn't like others had tried and failed (except Napoleon, and Charles XII).
It was weather yes... but also supply and munitions... that and the fact that he figured he'd be done before the Winter set in so things like winter gear and anti freeze never made it either.
Booboo's everywhere.

And that concludes WW2 history for today - should be required reading for everyone in school IMO.

Go Catters

Doesn't help that the commentators play it up too. Remember a game against Port very early on in Joel's career when, after running through a pack to win a hard ball, Brogan hit him with a clothesline reminiscent of Bradshaw in the WWE. Commentator (I think it was Luke Darcy) then says "He's done well to milk a free there" or words to that effect.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Doesn't help that the commentators play it up too. Remember a game against Port very early on in Joel's career when, after running through a pack to win a hard ball, Brogan hit him with a clothesline reminiscent of Bradshaw in the WWE. Commentator (I think it was Luke Darcy) then says "He's done well to milk a free there" or words to that effect.
And one more idiotic comment from a Commentator -likely Darcy as one of the more idiotic commentators

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Re Hitler ( football season is still along way away - made very few posts in the off season ) - but ive been watching on and off late night Foxtel on Hitler

And pardon my ignorance on the subject - but one thing which surprised me - is he didnt sweep to power in Germany - he got control of Germany politically and the armed forces in a round about sort of way

Like on the documentary - they said before he got in power - there was an election - and his partys vote actually decreased - his popularity actually decreased at that point of time - but the propoganda machine went into overdrive - and there was some group ( ive forgotten what they were called ) like amateur civilian army officers ( if that makes sense ) - he got rid of them - then he did a number of deals - then he was the number 1 supremo

I found the vision of the speeches amazing - they were at some big dinner ( this was before they were in power )- and one of his supporters /part of his group ( forgotten his name - he looked small in stature ) gave a speech after Hitler -and in the speech - the hatred for the Jews - and this was way before the atrocities .

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
IIRC and it's a bit hazy to be honest, he tried a coup, failed, was given Chancellor (head of the Parliment) then faked an attack and used it to grasp power over the Parliment then he instantly disallowed any opposite political parties. Bang, dictator.
Like I said the details are a touch hazy since it's been a long time since I've read anything on that period prior to the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back