Australian Open - Day 14

Federer or Cilic?

• Federer

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • Cilic

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fed isn't the problem, it's the cult of personality his fans have built up that is
The Fedtards are definitely annoying. But let't not forget Federer sooking it up between 2009-2012ish whenever he got beaten in a slam. Some of his press conferences during that time were right up there with the worst you'll ever see.

The Fedtards are definitely annoying. But let't not forget Federer sooking it up between 2009-2012ish whenever he got beaten in a slam. Some of his press conferences during that time were right up there with the worst you'll ever see.
What's more annoying is your sooking about Fed's sooking.

Lol get over it. Every player has bad press conferences. The guy is regarded as the greatest sportsperson ever, and that’s for a reason.

Last edited:

The excuses coming out from some tennis fans already (maybe a couple of ex-players too). "The roof being closed is why Cilic lost, it's rigged in Fed's favour I tells ya!"
So Fed was told before Cilic that the roof was going to be closed? Am I reading that correctly?

I think Roger cries because he gets awkward giving speeches. His timing goes off, the crowd doesn't respond, he gets flustered, and then cries.
In this case, I'd agree. One of his more awkward speeches, the convenience of waterworks weren't far off. Lovely and moving footage though, regardless of how he got there.

Just can’t help but love the guy. Can’t think of a more universally loved champion.

I think we all feel lucky to be witnessing a legend everyone wants to enjoy it while it lasts, and we all realize any slam win now could be his last.

He knows that any win could be it too, hence the emotional reaction

So true.

For those who dislike Fed i would say don't worry. he will be gone soon enough.

For the millions of tennis and general sports fans who admire him I would say enjoy every match and tournament he plays. The end is soon and perhaps less than a year away if he fails at Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows.

Shock horror Federer won. Who would’ve guessed that. Most predictable AO ever. Grats to Federer but for me I can’t wait until he retires and we get to see someone else win. It gets boring seeing the same people winning every slam.

Shock horror Federer won. Who would’ve guessed that. Most predictable AO ever. Grats to Federer but for me I can’t wait until he retires and we get to see someone else win. It gets boring seeing the same people winning every slam.

I get the feeling most Aus tennis fans don't want anyone else winning the AO - only Federer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling most Aus tennis fans don't want anyone else winning the AO - only Federer.
Here's the thing, I was hoping Cilic would win. But as soon as the moment occurs where Federer won, I sit and admire in complete amazement at his accomplishments. We probably wont see another in our lifetime.

So Fed was told before Cilic that the roof was going to be closed? Am I reading that correctly?
No, they were both notified at the same time.

Cilic had an extra day's rest and the indoor conditions would have suited him. Using it as an excuse is weak.

Yeah, this why I don’t like him. It’s the same reason a majority of die hard Roger fans dislike Novak. They’re just so different in the way they present themselves. One is outspoken and says what he feels, while the other holds back so he doesn’t upset his image as the gentlemen of tennis. One loves crediting his opponent every single game (probably so he doesn’t get roasted by the media), while the other has at times thrown up strange remarks about his opponent after a loss. One does not humble brag, while the other does it on a weekly basis.

Moral of the story: if you’re good enough and have enough fans, you can get away with just about anything. Roger has mastered this so well, that when he says these normally strange things, people just laugh it off.

Yeah, this why I don’t like him. It’s the same reason a majority of die hard Roger fans dislike Novak. They’re just so different in the way they present themselves. One is outspoken and says what he feels, while the other holds back so he doesn’t upset his image as the gentlemen of tennis. One loves crediting his opponent every single game (probably so he doesn’t get roasted by the media), while the other has at times thrown up strange remarks about his opponent after a loss. One does not humble brag, while the other does it on a weekly basis.

Moral of the story: if you’re good enough and have enough fans, you can get away with just about anything. Roger has mastered this so well, that when he says these normally strange things, people just laugh it off.

Here's a hypothetical for you: If Federer was Serbian and Djokovic was Swiss, who would you like more?

Here's the thing, I was hoping Cilic would win. But as soon as the moment occurs where Federer won, I sit and admire in complete amazement at his accomplishments. We probably wont see another in our lifetime.

I agree Fed is a rare athelete - but I still don 't get the extreme Aus love for him.
I thought Aussies usually like the underdog. Except it seems when Fed is playing. From what I can see, anyone playing Fed is the villain!

Last edited:
I agree Fed is a rare athelete - but I still don 't get the extreme Aus love for him.
Aussies usually like the underdog. Except it seems when Fed is playing. From what I can see, anyone playing Fed is the villain!
The thing is it's not just an Australian thing! Americans absolutely love Federer. The French absolutely love fed. The English love fed. He is supported like he is one of their own in nearly every country he plays.

Here's a hypothetical for you: If Federer was Serbian and Djokovic was Swiss, who would you like more?
I'm Australian though. I don't understand? I like the player, just like I like Bautista Agut from Spain or Kyle Edmund from the UK.

Each to their own, but personally I'd much rather see a player that will be talked about for the next century win a slam than a battler/journeyman like Johansson win a slam and be surprised.

Federer cynics will go down in history like those who knocked Michael Jordan while was still playing in the NBA, they just sound like bitter twats when you look back at those articles now.
Michael Jordan was something else though... Federer still has close competition and isnt even the best when Nadal and Djokovic are fully fit.

Michael Jordan was something else though... Federer still has close competition and isnt even the best when Nadal and Djokovic are fully fit.
Federer is winning Slams at age 36 while his rivals are forfeiting, having ops, and simply not able to match his durability and his all court excellence.
He doesn't need any apologists defending him- his records are sublime- what is ridiculous is the jealousy.
You could easily conclude that the slams Fed lost to Djoker and Rafa were the ones where he was NQR himself.

Back