Prediction Top 10 important players for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourite threads over the past few years have always been POBT s most important players list, and given the season is around the corner I thought I'd kick off discussions with my own top 10.

In my opinion, our top ten players will be the key to us pushing from a 4-7 win season to a 6-10 win season.

1. Dayne Beams
An easy choice is Beamsy. The guy is an extremely good talent, our captain and imo could easily win a brownlow off the back of a strong season. He polled in the top 10 even with a buggered shoulder which is a testament to his ability.

Beams will need to play at least 18-20 games this year as his leadership for our young mids will be pivotal. Obviously adding to that is his ability to kick 2-4 goals a game and set up countless more.

2. Luke Hodge
It was a hard call putting Hodgey in at number 2 given he will likely play 16 or less games, but his leadership is paramount and a lot of our improvement this year will stem from on field leadership. There is no better teacher and the guy is still a great talent on the field. He finished 2nd in the Hawks bnf for a reason.

3. Dayne Zorko
Zorko was in super form last year, winning his first AA honors. He absolutely must deliver again in 2018. Our midfield looked so strong at times in 2017 when both Zorko and Beams were in form. They are a much stronger combination than Rockliff/Zorko or Rockliff/Beams and if we are fo beat teams in the engine room it'll be offthe back of Zorko and Beams leading the way.

4. Harris Andrews
Andrews has been developing at a phenomenal pace. He has beaten some quality opponents (Lynch, Daniher) and with Hodgey taking a lot of the on-field coaching responsibility, I can see Andrews absolutely breaking out as a defender. If he can be our KPD who controls the oppositions best, it will help immensely when it comes to keeping our opponents score to a minimum.

5. Eric Hipwood
What can be said about Hipwood that hasn't been said 1 million times already? He's a freak who took the promise of his first season and carved out an amazing second season. His third season could go either way, but if he's ableto take another step and kick/be on track to kick 40-60 goals it would be a monster effort and would give the team monster confidence in passing the ball forward which has been a weakness.

6. Allen Christensen
Bundys return cannot be understated. He is fitter than ever, is showing strong leadership abilities and looks absolutely desperate to play afl again after nearly 2 years of injuries. He has mentally come a long way, and if his football ability can deliver like we know it can, he will be a lethal third foil to Beams and Zorko. He can kick goals, win the footy on the inside and outside and tackle ferociously. Could be a game changer.

7. Mitch Robinson
Heart and soul in a young team such as ours extremely important. If Robbo is on the park, young guys such as Matho, Clugg and Berry will walk taller and as 2nd + 3rd year players, it is invaluable.

8. Charlie Cameron
Cameron coming to the Lions was huge. His second last performance in an Adelaide jumper involved 5 goals in a prelim and he was not disgraced in the final either. His pressure and goal kicking sense is a huge asset to a team desperate for pressure. If his kicking improves, I could easily see him racking up some big i50 numbers in 2018 which as an area of weakness last year will be huge if it comes to fruition.

9. Hugh McCluggage
I feel bad putting a second year player in the top 10 - it is a lot of pressure - but the talent of Hugh McCluggage elite and he's added some much needed mass. I thought his 2017 season was rock solid but it wasn't until I went back and re-watched some of our wins that I realized the impact of having a guy like Hugh had on our team. His ability to evade and have extra time with the pill was often 1-2 steps ahead of his own team mates. He could squeeze passes via foot or hand with ease and has a real goal sense. He has added much needed mass and another pre season of working out synergy with his fellow mids gives me big confidence in his ability to make a big impact in his second season.

10. Rhys Mathison
With Rockliff gone, we absolutely need an inside mid who can step up and matho has worked extremely hard to do claim that position. He has a lot of competition but I think he's up for the challenge and will take the ball and run with it. He has a strong ability to win the pill and is an underrated handballer (please don't kick it though Rhys) and when up forward can draw a free and is a solid set shot for goal. He adds attitude and grunt and if he can be consistent will be huge in the fight for 4 points throughout the season.

I think Daniel Rich or Same Mayes should be in there instead of Mathieson or McCluggage. I think it’s important they keeps good form through the years as some of the more senior players in the team.

I think Daniel Rich or Same Mayes should be in there instead of Mathieson or McCluggage. I think it’s important they keeps good form through the years as some of the more senior players in the team.

Was hard leaving them out along with Taylor. I was looking at my top 10 as the guys who need to step up if we're going to push up the ladder. While an in form Rich or Mayes may be better this year than Matho or Clugg, I'd argue the impact of Clugg + Matho being in form would have a bigger group impact than that of Mayes and Rich in good form ala 2017.

Was hard leaving them out along with Taylor. I was looking at my top 10 as the guys who need to step up if we're going to push up the ladder. While an in form Rich or Mayes may be better this year than Matho or Clugg, I'd argue the impact of Clugg + Matho being in form would have a bigger group impact than that of Mayes and Rich in good form ala 2017.

That’s a good point. It is very important that our young guys start to make a important impact when they are on the field. I completely forgot about Taylor, who has already been great for us and I’d imagine he will be even better when the young guys can contribute more.

One of my favourite threads over the past few years have always been POBT s most important players list, and given the season is around the corner I thought I'd kick off discussions with my own top 10.

In my opinion, our top ten players will be the key to us pushing from a 4-7 win season to a 6-10 win season.

1. Dayne Beams
An easy choice is Beamsy. The guy is an extremely good talent, our captain and imo could easily win a brownlow off the back of a strong season. He polled in the top 10 even with a buggered shoulder which is a testament to his ability.

Beams will need to play at least 18-20 games this year as his leadership for our young mids will be pivotal. Obviously adding to that is his ability to kick 2-4 goals a game and set up countless more.

2. Luke Hodge
It was a hard call putting Hodgey in at number 2 given he will likely play 16 or less games, but his leadership is paramount and a lot of our improvement this year will stem from on field leadership. There is no better teacher and the guy is still a great talent on the field. He finished 2nd in the Hawks bnf for a reason.

3. Dayne Zorko
Zorko was in super form last year, winning his first AA honors. He absolutely must deliver again in 2018. Our midfield looked so strong at times in 2017 when both Zorko and Beams were in form. They are a much stronger combination than Rockliff/Zorko or Rockliff/Beams and if we are fo beat teams in the engine room it'll be offthe back of Zorko and Beams leading the way.

4. Harris Andrews
Andrews has been developing at a phenomenal pace. He has beaten some quality opponents (Lynch, Daniher) and with Hodgey taking a lot of the on-field coaching responsibility, I can see Andrews absolutely breaking out as a defender. If he can be our KPD who controls the oppositions best, it will help immensely when it comes to keeping our opponents score to a minimum.

5. Eric Hipwood
What can be said about Hipwood that hasn't been said 1 million times already? He's a freak who took the promise of his first season and carved out an amazing second season. His third season could go either way, but if he's ableto take another step and kick/be on track to kick 40-60 goals it would be a monster effort and would give the team monster confidence in passing the ball forward which has been a weakness.

6. Allen Christensen
Bundys return cannot be understated. He is fitter than ever, is showing strong leadership abilities and looks absolutely desperate to play afl again after nearly 2 years of injuries. He has mentally come a long way, and if his football ability can deliver like we know it can, he will be a lethal third foil to Beams and Zorko. He can kick goals, win the footy on the inside and outside and tackle ferociously. Could be a game changer.

7. Mitch Robinson
Heart and soul in a young team such as ours extremely important. If Robbo is on the park, young guys such as Matho, Clugg and Berry will walk taller and as 2nd + 3rd year players, it is invaluable.

8. Charlie Cameron
Cameron coming to the Lions was huge. His second last performance in an Adelaide jumper involved 5 goals in a prelim and he was not disgraced in the final either. His pressure and goal kicking sense is a huge asset to a team desperate for pressure. If his kicking improves, I could easily see him racking up some big i50 numbers in 2018 which as an area of weakness last year will be huge if it comes to fruition.

9. Hugh McCluggage
I feel bad putting a second year player in the top 10 - it is a lot of pressure - but the talent of Hugh McCluggage elite and he's added some much needed mass. I thought his 2017 season was rock solid but it wasn't until I went back and re-watched some of our wins that I realized the impact of having a guy like Hugh had on our team. His ability to evade and have extra time with the pill was often 1-2 steps ahead of his own team mates. He could squeeze passes via foot or hand with ease and has a real goal sense. He has added much needed mass and another pre season of working out synergy with his fellow mids gives me big confidence in his ability to make a big impact in his second season.

10. Rhys Mathison
With Rockliff gone, we absolutely need an inside mid who can step up and matho has worked extremely hard to do claim that position. He has a lot of competition but I think he's up for the challenge and will take the ball and run with it. He has a strong ability to win the pill and is an underrated handballer (please don't kick it though Rhys) and when up forward can draw a free and is a solid set shot for goal. He adds attitude and grunt and if he can be consistent will be huge in the fight for 4 points throughout the season.
For me, I would probably go close to putting Bundy at the top of the list. Its a big ask i know, especially for someone who has spent the best part of 2 yrs out of the game but if he can somehow produce career best numbers and run defensively. Then I think that he can become one of our most damaging and important players. For the progression of our team our experienced heads will need to drive us forward and with Bundy being out of contract at the end of the year, there will be no shortage of motivation for him to perform.
Happy with the rest of it as per your order. Very well detailed Nunez.

Last edited:

1. Dayne Beams

2. Luke Hodge

3. Dayne Zorko

4. Harris Andrews

5. Eric Hipwood

6. Allen Christensen

7. Mitch Robinson

8. Charlie Cameron

9. Hugh McCluggage

10. Rhys Mathison
This is good stuff....the alternative suggestions indicate how exciting we will be.I also think McLuggage is a key,and would suggest McStay could have a massive influence.

I respect it's your list but 9 an 10 are far too high for mine. Stef Martin still one of our most important IMO even though his form has dropped off a bit he really is our only consistent ruck option ATM.

Fair call SM. I find it hard to put a ruck in my top 10 but would definitely agree an in form Martin would be a great help in the 2018 season.

I think Taylor’s role can be underestimated at times. He plays a very important linking role in moving the team forward. Going back two seasons he did so in a fairly erratic fashion (the famous ‘running around in circles’). Last season saw him begin to use his movement to shape our attack much more decisively. When Taylor gets the ball in hand he can use his elusiveness to break defensive lines and open up opportunities downfield. Sometimes it is just a brief touch but it can really create space for the next player.

If that development can continue he will become an increasingly important player.

I reckon Cameron will be huge for us and I wouldn't blink at all if someone rated him top 5 most important. He literally changes our whole team set up overnight with his blistering pace and elite defensive pressure. Look at his highlights from the finals series to get a glimpse of his potential.

I reckon Cameron will be huge for us and I wouldn't blink at all if someone rated him top 5 most important. He literally changes our whole team set up overnight with his blistering pace and elite defensive pressure. Look at his highlights from the finals series to get a glimpse of his potential.
Cameron, Christensen, Paine, Taylor, McLuggage ,Cox and Zorko running together ,make us a very different and formidable team.

My top 10 most important players for 2018 are: Andrews; Berry; Rayner; McLuggage; Hipwood; Taylor; Witho; Allison; Mathison; Cutler. But I am only ever focused on 2020!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Taylor’s role can be underestimated at times. He plays a very important linking role in moving the team forward. Going back two seasons he did so in a fairly erratic fashion (the famous ‘running around in circles’). Last season saw him begin to use his movement to shape our attack much more decisively. When Taylor gets the ball in hand he can use his elusiveness to break defensive lines and open up opportunities downfield. Sometimes it is just a brief touch but it can really create space for the next player.

If that development can continue he will become an increasingly important player.

You're right that last season saw saw him shape our attack, there were some games (thinking mostly of that GC game where Jack Martin ran wild) where he was the sole figure shaping our drive and movement from stoppages or stagnation. I personally can't wait to see how he progresses this year.

I think Berry as the developing big inside mid should be top 10 somewhere. The pressure he can take off Beams will be important

If you don't have Lester in your top-10 you've got rocks in your head
If that's true, I definitely have rocks rolling around in my melon because Lester isn't close to my top 10:
1) Zorko: IMO, best player on our list.
2) Beams: Very close to Zorko. Just hope he can play most of the season without injury.
3) Andrews: Key man in our backline without doubt.
4) Hipwood: Key man in our forward line also without doubt.
5) McStay: Needs to hold down the second key forward each week.
6) Walker: Needs to start the way he finished last season and help Hipwood because Hippy wont be able to do it all on his own.
7) Hodge: The general down back who will give our guys composure there when things get extreme.
8) Cameron: Hopefully bring the ball into the forward line with excellent delivery or kick the goal himself.
9) Rich: His run & long kicking is a must. Huge is some games last year and needs to bring it week in/week out in 2018.
10) Taylor: Elusiveness & running is also a requirement we need to be successful.

If that's true, I definitely have rocks rolling around in my melon because Lester isn't close to my top 10:
2) Beams: Very close to Zorko. Just hope he can play most of the season without injury.
6) Walker: Needs to start the way he finished last season and help Hipwood because Hippy wont be able to do it all on his own.
7) Hodge: The general down back who will give our guys composure there when things get extreme.
8) Cameron: Hopefully bring the ball into the forward line with excellent delivery or kick the goal himself.
9) Rich: His run & long kicking is a must. Huge is some games last year and needs to bring it week in/week out in 2018.
10) Taylor: Elusiveness & running is also a requirement we need to be successful.
The mister fix-it who plugged the required holes in our ship? We lose at least two more games if he wasn't on the park in '17

The mister fix-it who plugged the required holes in our ship? We lose at least two more games if he wasn't on the park in '17

I wouldn't have Lester in my top 10 either. He might have key in spurts last year, but arguably other players could be removed in those games and as a result we come nowhere near enough to winning for Lester to push us over the top.

Richs potential in 2018 is something that really excites me. Imo his work in the last month or so of 2017 was the best football of his career. He got a career best possession game, massive meters gained and even broke a tag!

Trying to keep expectations in check though as I've thought he may take another step before in the past and been burnt.

Richs potential in 2018 is something that really excites me. Imo his work in the last month or so of 2017 was the best football of his career. He got a career best possession game, massive meters gained and even broke a tag!

Trying to keep expectations in check though as I've thought he may take another step before in the past and been burnt.
The kids stepping up around him takes the load off of those guys. Also shifts opposition attention away from stopping a few keys that used to be so relied on.

Does Rich stay down back now that Hodge will be there most games?
Where else could he fit, bit of a swing man in the midfield not venturing beyond the arcs?

Does Rich stay down back now that Hodge will be there most games?
Where else could he fit, bit of a swing man in the midfield not venturing beyond the arcs?

My thoughts exactly. I reckon it wouldn't surprise me to see him partnered with Cameron to play from flank to flank. Would make a formidable flank combo, especially if Cameron pushes Rich defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back