Australian Open - Day 14

Federer or Cilic?

• Federer

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • Cilic

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted Cilic to win. I couldn’t help it. Federer is just God and I’d pick the corn from his s**t and eat it for his blessing but it’s just instinctive for me to go for the underdog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did the umpire allow Marins challenge on the last ball? He challenged after his ball hit the net. Bit of a s**t move from Marin challenging the last ball being 2 breaks and 3 champion shop points down stealing the “moment” from Fed (repeat of last year).

Earlier in the game Fed challenged a Cilic serve and Cilic actually complained to the umpire? The return ball was still in the air and hadn’t even landed when Federer challenged

Michael Jordan was something else though... Federer still has close competition and isnt even the best when Nadal and Djokovic are fully fit.

The majority of Djokovics wins V Fed came while Novak was in his prime years (24 thru 28 ) and Fed was past his prime ( 29 thru 34 ). Remember that Fed is 5 years - half a tennis lifetime - older than Novak. There is no evidence that a prime age Novak is consistently better H2H than a prime age Fed. None.

Rafa has always troubled Fed but it is widely acknowledged their H2H record is largely down to a preponderance of clay matches.

Be careful about H2h when you don't take surface and age into account.

Last edited:

Michael Jordan was something else though... Federer still has close competition and isnt even the best when Nadal and Djokovic are fully fit.

Jordan also never played against a fully fit Larry Bird and a fading Jonhson

I'm a big fan of just appreciating and supporting greatness when its infront of you, its the same as the endless Messi v Ronaldo debate, who cares, they're both fantastic and we are lucky to see them play.

Jordan also never played against a fully fit Larry Bird and a fading Jonhson

I'm a big fan of just appreciating and supporting greatness when its infront of you, its the same as the endless Messi v Ronaldo debate, who cares, they're both fantastic and we are lucky to see them play.
I am as well, but people are free to like and dislike players as they choose. This isn't North Korea.

I am as well, but people are free to like and dislike players as they choose. This isn't North Korea.
Disliking a player like Fed is oxymoronic for starters, but attempting to back it up by looking at skewed results and stats is off as well.
If somebody just came out and said they can't stand Fed because he is too perfect- fair enough.
But no justification in trying to denigrate anything he has achieved in the past or now.

Disliking a player like Fed is oxymoronic for starters, but attempting to back it up by looking at skewed results and stats is off as well.
If somebody just came out and said they can't stand Fed because he is too perfect- fair enough.
But no justification in trying to denigrate anything he has achieved in the past or now.
Okay. Let’s all just <3 Fed. Because, after all. He is peRFect.

So true.

For those who dislike Fed i would say don't worry. he will be gone soon enough.

For the millions of tennis and general sports fans who admire him I would say enjoy every match and tournament he plays. The end is soon and perhaps less than a year away if he fails at Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows.

When he’s gone he will be missed, most likely by many of those same people who dislike him who in 2025 will probably write posts saying men’s tennis is crap after the golden era of Fed, Nadal and Novak.

It’s just the way it is, some people always want something different to what is currently happening

Imagine not liking him, You'd hate tennis because of how much you've been disappointed over the years.

He's probably the greatest sportsman to ever live, He certainly is in my opinion.

He’s certainly in the conversation, and the best male tennis player ever no doubt.

Nadal and Djokovic at their best have been great as well, but Federer has done it longer and I don’t think either will be winning slams at 36 like Fed.

Halep ended up spending more time on court than Federer for the tournament.
Fed plays so much quicker than Nadal; similar to Wozniacki, they like to get their mojo and keep going.
Nadal games are noisy and slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Federer is winning Slams at age 36 while his rivals are forfeiting, having ops, and simply not able to match his durability and his all court excellence.
He doesn't need any apologists defending him- his records are sublime- what is ridiculous is the jealousy.
You could easily conclude that the slams Fed lost to Djoker and Rafa were the ones where he was NQR himself.
Why would I need to ignore pure facts? Look at Novak vs Roger since 2011. Heck, throw in 2010 too if you wish. Or has Federer lost his touch and playing bad since then? I see absolutely no reason why you would ignore facts in this scenario. Federer is NOT the best in the world when Djokovic is fully fit.

The majority of Djokovics wins V Fed came while Novak was in his prime years (24 thru 28 ) and Fed was past his prime ( 29 thru 34 ). Remember that Fed is 5 years - half a tennis lifetime - older than Novak. There is no evidence that a prime age Novak is consistently better H2H than a prime age Fed. None.

Rafa has always troubled Fed but it is widely acknowledged their H2H record is largely down to a preponderance of clay matches.

Be careful about H2h when you don't take surface and age into account.

Are Fed fanboys going to keep using his age as an excuse? The excuse has been used since 2010, yet every time he has shown zero signs of old age. Are you saying Federer was not playing sublime, career-best tennis these last few years? You would be going against the opinion of many tennis expert commentators if so.

Does Novak have a relatively large (recent) winning record even whilst not being that young himself?

Btw, I said Novak is the best in the world when he's not injured. I never said or argued that he's the greatest of all time based on h2h.

Why would I need to ignore pure facts? Look at Novak vs Roger since 2011. Heck, throw in 2010 too if you wish. Or has Federer lost his touch and playing bad since then? I see absolutely no reason why you would ignore facts in this scenario. Federer is NOT the best in the world when Djokovic is fully fit.
When Djokovic was at his best, Fed was injured.

Back