Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Team named for Round 1.

WEBAFLWCROWSLIONS%20ROUND1.jpg

Our two trade recruits in Exon and Ayre didn't make the cut.
But the rookie Collingwood did.

Almost every season preview I've read has the Lions in about third or fourth this season. On paper our team probably looks weaker than most, but there's a bit of hedging going on in case it turns out season one wasn't a fluke.

I wonder if we'd managed to get over the Crows on Grand Final day how differently the team would be perceived.

If we continue to be the best defensive side in the league we'll do very well again. But I'm a bit nervous about how we'll go without Virgo, and whether opposition teams will have figured out how to blunt our counterattacking game this time around.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Almost every season preview I've read has the Lions in about third or fourth this season. On paper our team probably looks weaker than most, but there's a bit of hedging going on in case it turns out season one wasn't a fluke.

I wonder if we'd managed to get over the Crows on Grand Final day how differently the team would be perceived.

If we continue to be the best defensive side in the league we'll do very well again. But I'm a bit nervous about how we'll go without Virgo, and whether opposition teams will have figured out how to blunt our counterattacking game this time around.
I was thinking Cowan looked a ready made replacement, but shee seems done to.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat
If they finished first would they get to have the home grand final at The Gabba with Metricon Stadium being unavailable due to Commonwealth Games?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
If they finished first would they get to have the home grand final at The Gabba with Metricon Stadium being unavailable due to Commonwealth Games?

My understanding is that if they finish first this year it is at the Gabba no matter what. Metricon unavailability isn't even a factor in that.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the AFL website's podcast for the AFLW they confirmed the Gabba would be ready to go. But huge task getting in that position again.

Erin Phillips out tonight too! Big opportunity for us.

On the AFL website's podcast for the AFLW they confirmed the Gabba would be ready to go. But huge task getting in that position again.

Erin Phillips out tonight too! Big opportunity for us.

Massive out. I reckon we'll be in this with a big chance as she was literally the difference in the GF. That and Harris missing like 4 shots at goal.

Forward line doesn't seem very potent.

Frederick-Traub will likely be our focal point and shes proven damn competitive last season, I think we should be alright. Fair few of our midfielders are fast linebreakers who like goals as well!

Im keen for the match either way, sport is sport at the end of the day and Im keen to see our girls play!

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Unreal effort - could've been more when you consider one Adelaide goal was a direct result of a terrible shepherding call against Woosh.

That defence is elite - we should throw them in round 1 v the Saints! Lutkins was HUGE and Kaslar as solid as ever. Sabrina and Woosh were A-grade but Ashmore swung the game in the third quarter, then finished it with a goal in the fourth. I think Sabrina enjoyed being numero uno

Zanchetta will be a machine when she gets the tempo of the game.

LOVE IT

Of course got to add in we won because Adelaide were missing ONE player.

Guess if they won it would have read:

Adelaide has claimed victory in the Grand Final rematch over Brisbane, playing without Erin Phillips, coming from behind at half-time to win by 12 points.

Back