Roger Federer- any CATS come close?

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as Cats players go, Jimmy Bartel might be our closest - universally liked, won nearly all there is to win (except Carji!), good looking, nice guy, speaks (reasonably) well, humble....the list goes on.

Wouldn't have him close to be honest. Was never even the best player at his club, and he won zero best and fairest awards.

Gary Ablett junior you could make a much stronger case for.

Is just too damn likeable. He even cries and thanks the fans FFS.
While our contribution to the tennis world are Hewitt, Kyrgios and Tomic.
I gotta say I don't think he's the best ever though. Thought tennis was at its strongest during the Agassi/Sampras days.

I gotta say I don't think he's the best ever though.
Rod Laver stands out, just that I doubt any posters here would have seen him.

Rodney George Laver AC, MBE (born 9 August 1938) is an Australian former tennis player widely regarded as one of the greatest in the history of the sport.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Laver#cite_note-14 He was the No. 1 ranked professional from 1964 to 1970, spanning four years before and three years after the start of the Open Era in 1968. He also was the No. 1 ranked amateur in 1961–62.[3]

Laver's 200 singles titles are the most in tennis history. This included his all-time men's record of 10 or more titles per year for seven consecutive years (1964–70). He excelled on all of the court surfaces of his time: grass, clay, hard, carpet, and wood/parquet.

Despite being banned from playing the Grand Slam tournaments for the five years prior to the Open Era, he won 11 singles titles. Laver is the only player to twice achieve the calendar-year Grand Slam, in 1962 and 1969, and the latter remains the only time a man has done so in the Open Era. He also won eight Pro Slam titles, including the "pro Grand Slam"[13][14] in 1967, and he contributed to five Davis Cup titles for Australia during an age when Davis Cup was deemed as significant as the Grand Slams.[15] Given these achievements, some players and analysts consider Laver the greatest tennis player of all time.

I'd say Jnr is a true champion of the game.

Not sure Fed is as squeeky clean. Supposedly a few mind games, trash talk, etc. go on in games and the change rooms (and media interviews). Also used to lose it at umpires when he was younger. He was actually known as a hot head.

I think there are quite a few others. Michael Shuueeeymacher, Kelly Slater, Messi, Jack Nicholas, Pele, etc.

Tom Brady and Fed remind me a lot of each other actually. People will bring up Deflategate for Brady, which I think is sad. Still haven't found a decent sports journo that doesn't think that was an absolute farce! He is now just putting records upon records at an age where he should have been retired years. He is a bit cultish in how "perfect" he projects his life, diet, training, etc. but you have to admire it.

Rod Laver stands out, just that I doubt any posters here would have seen him.

Rodney George Laver AC, MBE (born 9 August 1938) is an Australian former tennis player widely regarded as one of the greatest in the history of the sport. He was the No. 1 ranked professional from 1964 to 1970, spanning four years before and three years after the start of the Open Era in 1968. He also was the No. 1 ranked amateur in 1961–62.[3]

Laver's 200 singles titles are the most in tennis history. This included his all-time men's record of 10 or more titles per year for seven consecutive years (1964–70). He excelled on all of the court surfaces of his time: grass, clay, hard, carpet, and wood/parquet.

Despite being banned from playing the Grand Slam tournaments for the five years prior to the Open Era, he won 11 singles titles. Laver is the only player to twice achieve the calendar-year Grand Slam, in 1962 and 1969, and the latter remains the only time a man has done so in the Open Era. He also won eight Pro Slam titles, including the "pro Grand Slam"[13][14] in 1967, and he contributed to five Davis Cup titles for Australia during an age when Davis Cup was deemed as significant as the Grand Slams.[15] Given these achievements, some players and analysts consider Laver the greatest tennis player of all time.

"Rod Laver stands out, just that I doubt any posters here would have seen him."
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Muhammad-Ali.jpg
i dont know about that. There are a lot of rumours that some of his biggest wins were the result of players taking dives.

Althougg federer always lost to Nadal even during his peak so he too wasnt as dominant as the stats suggest.

Always impossible to compare sports and eras, but if Bjorn Borg was playing today at his peak, Federer would be dusting an empty trophy cabinet. Federer has been fortunate to be playing in an era where he hasn't really had much competition.

Borg at his best was always up against some of the greatest other players the game has ever seen.

He also played across all types of courts, with rackets and balls you couldn't even begin to imagine.

But maybe I'm a little biased - I played State junior comp tennis from about age 7-14 during the 70s and early 80s and pretty much lost interest once Borg gave the game away. I knew tennis would never be the same. It never has been.

He was only "universally loved" if you discount significant numbers of team-mates, opponents, administrators and, later on, the players he administered.
I was thinking about the skill side of things, forgot about that "minor" issue. I have no idea how Laver was regarded.

Valentino??? The most likeable sportsperson you'd find.
10 championships across all 3 classes and 3 manufacturers.
Had a bit of a renaissance thing happen in 2008 when he won it again after 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always impossible to compare sports and eras, but if Bjorn Borg was playing today at his peak, Federer would be dusting an empty trophy cabinet. Federer has been fortunate to be playing in an era where he hasn't really had much competition.

Borg at his best was always up against some of the greatest other players the game has ever seen.

He also played across all types of courts, with rackets and balls you couldn't even begin to imagine.

But maybe I'm a little biased - I played State junior comp tennis from about age 7-14 during the 70s and early 80s and pretty much lost interest once Borg gave the game away. I knew tennis would never be the same. It never has been.

True. But he only won majors at Wimbledon and Roland Garros. Never won an Australian Open, and never won the US Open.

i dont know about that. There are a lot of rumours that some of his biggest wins were the result of players taking dives.

With Ali? Which opponents were those?

The only one with any real controversy was the second Liston fight. And given how he'd pummeled him the first time I'm not sure it lasting longer would have led to a different outcome. Prior to being stripped of the title in 1967 no one got near him.

With Ali? Which opponents were those?

The only one with any real controversy was the second Liston fight. And given how he'd pummeled him the first time I'm not sure it lasting longer would have led to a different outcome. Prior to being stripped of the title in 1967 no one got near him.
There should't have been the controversy there was in that fight he got Liston flush with the right.Pitty Ali didn't know when his time was up, a sad ending for a wonderful sportsman and entertainer.

For me it's the constant "UAGH!" every time they hit the damn ball that has put me off.
Beauty of Fed is zero labour pains, unlike most of the women and Rafa. Almost Effortless pursuit of excellence

Senna > Schumacher
For sure. Better and more attacking driver and drove in the turbo era.
Any driver would of won as many races as Schumacher if they were No1 at Ferrari.
Irvine and Massa used to have to let him pass if they were beating him.

I'd say Jnr is a true champion of the game.

Not sure Fed is as squeeky clean. Supposedly a few mind games, trash talk, etc. go on in games and the change rooms (and media interviews). Also used to lose it at umpires when he was younger. He was actually known as a hot head.

I think there are quite a few others. Michael Shuueeeymacher, Kelly Slater, Messi, Jack Nicholas, Pele, etc.

Tom Brady and Fed remind me a lot of each other actually. People will bring up Deflategate for Brady, which I think is sad. Still haven't found a decent sports journo that doesn't think that was an absolute farce! He is now just putting records upon records at an age where he should have been retired years. He is a bit cultish in how "perfect" he projects his life, diet, training, etc. but you have to admire it.
He has been squeaky clean since his first Slam. The fact that he was human is what gives mere mortals hope, but he is right up there now.
Bjorn Borg had a problem llke McEnroe when he was evolving and developed into the IceBorg after an ultimatum from his coach. He liked McEnroe as he could see some of himself in his actions and demeanour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back