Roger Federer- any CATS come close?

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on your point of view.

Not sure guys like Novak or Nadal or Messi or Slater, etc. arent "squeeky clean".

Even Jordan. What he gambles. Lol. He's allowed to gamble. He cheated on his wife. According to who? Even if he did, unless your privy to the ins and outs of his relationship you can't judge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Always impossible to compare sports and eras, but if Bjorn Borg was playing today at his peak, Federer would be dusting an empty trophy cabinet. Federer has been fortunate to be playing in an era where he hasn't really had much competition.

Borg at his best was always up against some of the greatest other players the game has ever seen.

He also played across all types of courts, with rackets and balls you couldn't even begin to imagine.

But maybe I'm a little biased - I played State junior comp tennis from about age 7-14 during the 70s and early 80s and pretty much lost interest once Borg gave the game away. I knew tennis would never be the same. It never has been.
Sorry, Borg would not have been comparable. He was mentally fragile, if you read the autobiographies, and retired as soon as SuperBrat beat him, at a very young age. That is where again Federer wins kudos. Longevity. He spent 4 years without a Slam, but said he would continue because he loved the game and felt another win was around the corner. He was written off by all and sundry, except by himself.
McEnroe himself, who loved Borg , has said that nobody comes near Federer for sustained excellence.
As far as competition, that is erroneous. Federer said goodbye to Sampras, Agassi, and has had to endure the power games of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray , Safin, Roddick, et al.

Sorry, Borg would not have been comparable. He was mentally fragile, if you read the autobiographies, and retired as soon as SuperBrat beat him, at a very young age. That is where again Federer wins kudos. Longevity. He spent 4 years without a Slam, but said he would continue because he loved the game and felt another win was around the corner. He was written off by all and sundry, except by himself.
McEnroe himself, who loved Borg , has said that nobody comes near Federer for sustained excellence.
As far as competition, that is erroneous. Federer said goodbye to Sampras, Agassi, and has had to endure the power games of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray , Safin, Roddick, et al.
Absolutely!

Schumacher wasn't "universally loved" either....

He was a dirty driver. 2 of his championships were the result of him deliberately taking out his rival in the final race.

Depends on your point of view.

Not sure guys like Novak or Nadal or Messi or Slater, etc. arent "squeeky clean".

Even Jordan. What he gambles. Lol. He's allowed to gamble. He cheated on his wife. According to who? Even if he did, unless your privy to the ins and outs of his relationship you can't judge.

Thats why his wife divorced him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-with-class-why-jordan-should-shut-his-mouth

He was a dirty driver. 2 of his championships were the result of him deliberately taking out his rival in the final race.

Thats why his wife divorced him.
There are numerous people who have publically critised Fed and I'm sure there are people who don't like him.

A sport like tennis is also harder to play dirty. What are you doing that's dirty? Throwing a tantrum is maybe poor sportsmanship but it's not dirty.

Tennis is just not the same for me anymore. I'm not sure why.

1-anna-kournikova1-e1302051209473.jpg

I don’t get this “universally loved” as its purely subjective and can change over night.
Lance Armstrong was universally loved.
Tiger Woods loved universally.
That changed pretty quickly though....

EFA.

Senna > Schumacher
Racer perhaps but not wins..

It’s arguable.. and I’m not a schuey homer.. just acknowledge the talent

Go Catters

There are numerous people who have publically critised Fed and I'm sure there are people who don't like him.

A sport like tennis is also harder to play dirty. What are you doing that's dirty? Throwing a tantrum is maybe poor sportsmanship but it's not dirty.

Ivan Lendl used to hit the ball at people when they were at the net.
That was sorta playing dirty as far as tennis goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Cats equal Fed - but its a bit hard to compare for so many reasons.

What about:
Heather Makay?
Walter Lindrum was a genius?
Margaret Court?
Betty Cuthbert?
Herb Elliot - never beaten?
The Don
Sir Jack
Great names.
But for world-wide acclaim and recognition, for sustained excellence when his chronological peers are well retired, for the total package, Fed still stands above that group

Racer perhaps but not wins..

It’s arguable.. and I’m not a schuey homer.. just acknowledge the talent

Go Catters
Well dying half way into his career kinda made it hard for him to get the amount of wins he was capable of.

In terms of talent he was superior to schuey. And schuey had the luxury of having his ferrari far superior to his rivals cars. Not to say he wasn’t a superior driver in that era.

The greatest drivers anyway were in the Group B's before they got banned.
550+hp, insane boost with no traction aids.
You were considered a brilliant driver if you just finished a rally.
F1 drivers don't really count that much IMO. Except for Senna a bit and a couple of others during that era.

Last edited:
Great names.
But for world-wide acclaim and recognition, for sustained excellence when his chronological peers are well retired, for the total package, Fed still stands above that group
I don't think he stands above all of them.

Its a different world today. Of course FedEx will have greater acclaim than someone living 100 years ago.

Federer has been fortunate to be playing in an era where he hasn't really had much competition.
I think that is abit unfair tbh, he started out having to push the likes of Agassi & Sampras out, then Lleyton & Andy Roddick, and once he'd proved to have their measure he's had Djokovic, Nadal, Murray & Wawrinka ever since......Federer's competition has been of the highest order!......In answer to the question I think our club's closest is Enright, even under the highest of pressure, from the stands he never seemed flustered!

Ablett Junior gets better with the less hair he has and doesnt say much other than nice jibber jabber, so definitely the closest Cat, but as a footballer it would without doubt be a 3 time brownlow, 3 time sandover winner Haydyn Bunton. Never heard a bad word about him either. May have won everything had he not died so young. Possibly even beaten billie jean king.

GAJ
Boris
would be the closest recent Cats.
Polly certainly was UP there a long time

If GAJ can win a 3rd Brownlow, another B & F, and a 1st NS as a winner, in 2018, he will have surpassed the great Fed in my book.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back