The what if thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Three big moments in the dying minutes of that game:

1. Buddy goal from the boundary was bloody amazing. May have even put us in front.
2. Daisy tackle on rioli
3. Luke Ball snap and goal.

We would have won if either of those last two didn’t happen. Just couldn’t hold
Them down.

Was an amazing game of footy to be at.
Unreal. Yeah once big bud dribbled that pearler I thought it was all she wrote. Luke Balls snap was all class. And that tackle was inspirational from Dale. He was such a quality player in his prime.

For the record Port finished 1.5% ahead of WC on the ladder (about 9 goals) and played after them so would have known what margin they needed to finish 2nd.

For Port Adelaide in 2000, sitting bottom after round 12 with one win after getting thrashed by the Saints, we could have just thrown the season and had Pick 1 in the draft. Nick Riewoldt.
Playing alongside Warren Tredrea, Port would have been scary good that decade.

eagles were about 8-9 goals up at 3/4 and only won by a goal

eagles were about 8-9 goals up at 3/4 and only won by a goal
Yeah, I understand and if the games were at the same time then it would have been interesting for sure.

Oh yes, that 15 minute bike ride from Geelong to Melbourne is really tough on the bodies. Different timezones.

MCG to Kardinia Park is an 160km round trip. 2 hours 30 minutes with no traffic. Ridiculous to suggest it's commutable. For all the Melbourne clubs it's less than 10km away.

For players like Dangerfield who live in Moggs Creek it's actually a longer trip than getting on the plane from Adelaide.

MCG is only a 4 hour flight from Perth as well.

What if Dan Menzel didn't have such baulky knees?
Hawks have no matchup for him, the Kennet curse would still be alive and 2013 PF has entirely different ending

what if gary ablett senior stayed retired in 91... doesn't win 3 colemans in a row and 370 in 3 years, doesn't have anywhere near 1000 goals near his name

For the record Port finished 1.5% ahead of WC on the ladder (about 9 goals) and played after them so would have known what margin they needed to finish 2nd.
The interesting one from 2007 is we hold on in the last minute in the round 20 game against Port. Win that we finish top 4, Port would be no higher than 3rd

Joel Corey hasn’t smothered Chris Bryan’s shot on goal in the 2007 Preliminary Final.

Entirely foreseeable that Collingwood go on to win the 2007 flag and 2007-2011 reads two premierships a piece for the Cats and Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its stupid because what is the outcome now for the Long hit vs. back then? He got weeks. That's still the punishment now, wouldn't have changed the outcome.
Settle pettle long wouldn't have run through him like that in 2017 and Dean Wallis wouldn't have broken Brad Greens jaw. Would have made a difference? Probably not but we were intimidated off the field which as I said I hold no grudges about because that was footy back then.

1964 Neil Crompton (back pocket) doesn't run up the ground in the dying minutes of the Grand Final to kick his only goal of that season
1966 Barry Breen does not kick that point in the last minute of the Grand Final
1970 Ted Hopkins stays on the bench at half time of the Grand Final
1977 Phil Carman plays in the Grand Final
1979 Wayne Harmes is ruled out of bounds in last quarter of the Grand Final
2002 Free kick Tarrant, play on against Lynch or Rocca's goal is paid in the last quarter
2007 Nathan Buckley doesn't do his hammy in the Prelim
2011 Dayne Beames plays, Jolly, Reid, Ball & Didak are fully fit in the GF.

Pies have 23 flags!

Settle pettle long wouldn't have run through him like that in 2017 and Dean Wallis wouldn't have broken Brad Greens jaw. Would have made a difference? Probably not but we were intimidated off the field which as I said I hold no grudges about because that was footy back then.
No it wasn't. It was illegal then too.

No it wasn't. It was illegal then too.

It wasn't anywhere near as frowned upon back then. Listen to the commentary, Jason Dunstall says ' he might get looked at for that'

Long got 4 games which were served in the pre season . In today's footy he would have got 6-8 then had it double for GF loading so potentially 16 weeks. He wouldn't have done it

It wasn't anywhere near as frowned upon back then. Listen to the commentary, Jason Dunstall says ' he might get looked at for that'

Long got 4 games which were served in the pre season . In today's footy he would have got 6-8 then had it double for GF loading so potentially 16 weeks. He wouldn't have done it
So you admit he got punished? So it was against the rules same as in 2000?

Keep in mind your original argument was

Essendon fans will probably call me stupid but to go with the out of the box suggestions what if the 2000 GF was played with the rules of 2017?

Which is the stupid part I called you on.

1977 Phil Carman plays in the Grand Final

You're a good poster, but this gathers steam every year and it is somewhat misleading.

Carman had a good game against North in round 13 that year (4 goals, 11 marks) but he had no influence in round 2 (1 goal).

His games against North 1978 were 2 goal and 1 goal affairs.

In his 15 games against North he only kicked 18 goals with the bag of 4 goals in 77 being his standout return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back