Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Dortmund actually do it more than your lot but that's a different story for a different day.

Bayern however have the extremely uncanny ability to snag a player or two from teams who look like being able to eventually challenge them. Lewa, Goetze, Gomez, Sule, Rudy, Goretzka?, Gnabry, Hummels, Klose, Neuer, Wagner, Mandzukic.

Fair list I'd say.
I don't get why Bayern wanted Gnabry. He will never be good enough for them.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
now hang on, Hummels and Wagner are Bayern academy products who were cruelly pillaged from us ;)

nah it's a fair point. the trouble is Germany produces a fair amount of talent, and they all want to play in the national team, and Bayern is the best stage to audition for a spot + obviously much higher wages. I don't really know what the answer is, but I'm kinda happy that Leipzig is building a strong club, even if it is artificially through corporate ownership.

I'll give you Hummels and Wagner...just.

With Bayern wanting to be FC Deutschland, more and more German talent will find their way to Munich eventually.

RB Leipzig is good for German football whether people want to admit it or not. They're building up football in a seriously depleted region and adding to the talent pool for Die Mannschaft and the clubs.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Robben and Ribery are the most underrated players of the 21st century (so far obvs) not many people would have either in their top 20, let alone top 10. Reckon Robben deserves to be up there.
Robben is a great player but he is not a top 10 player of this century by any stretch.

I wouldnt mind Leeds coming back up. We used to have a decent rivalry with them. Have had some cracking matches against them. Stole Kewell off them too which they didnt like.
Lucky that happened. I'd be a Leeds fan if he stayed.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind meeting Leeds again either. There's a bit of history between us going back to the 60s and 70s where our matches were always a little heated. Who could forget the 1970 FA Cup final?

That's right, some Chelsea history from before 2004, who would have thought?

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Yeah, I wouldn't mind meeting Leeds again either. There's a bit of history between us going back to the 60s and 70s where our matches were always a little heated. Who could forget the 1970 FA Cup final?

That's right, some Chelsea history from before 2004, who would have thought?
Chelsea fans were worse than Leeds fans in those days. Who would have thought?

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
No. I mean they were feral. Now it is full on prawn sandwhich brigade.

To be fair, at least they are finally representing their demographic.

To think our gang had an intense rivalry with their gang back in the day. Crazy to think about now.

Would be nice to get Leeds back. I'm sick of this Lancashire lot just dominating (I mean big and small).

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When Leeds are a top flight side they are usually a top six side also. Under Don Revie they were barely out of the top two and had a good run under Wilkinson in the 90’s. Even O’Leary had them in the CL. Could shake things at the top up if they ever get their s**t together

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
If Wolves and Leeds both got promoted this season (fingers crossed), Wolves would be far more likely to challenge for the top 6 than Leeds. Could see them finishing in the top 4 in the next 5-7 years.

Leeds will always be a Newcastle/Everton/Sunderland/Villarather than a genuine challenger for anything meaningful.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well history suggests otherwise but I grant you Leeds will need some sort of investment (just as long as the cheques aren’t written by Peter Risdale). The prem needs some of these bigger Cubs from the championship I reckon, we have too many bus parking minnows in the league
now. A team with bigger history and supporter base are more likely to attract investment than your Bournemouth’s, Swansea’s and Hull’s etc

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Well history suggests otherwise but I grant you Leeds will need some sort of investment (just as long as the cheques aren’t written by Peter Risdale). The prem needs some of these bigger Cubs from the championship I reckon, we have too many bus parking minnows in the league
now. A team with bigger history and supporter base are more likely to attract investment than your Bournemouth’s, Swansea’s and Hull’s etc

I know that history suggests otherwise but in this era, you need serious cash to get past a certain level in England. Leeds don't have that (yet).

I do agree with you in that the Premier League needs bigger clubs than Bournemouth and Stoke, but clubs like Leeds, Villa, Forest and the like need to pull their fingers out. You get into the top flight on merit not by success or support.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
I know that history suggests otherwise but in this era, you need serious cash to get past a certain level in England. Leeds don't have that (yet).

I do agree with you in that the Premier League needs bigger clubs than Bournemouth and Stoke, but clubs like Leeds, Villa, Forest and the like need to pull their fingers out. You get into the top flight on merit not by success or support.
Leeds would attract a big investor if they were in the prem. Sleeping giant.

Wolves have the benefit of Jorge Mendes convincing Portuguese internationals to go and play for them.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Leeds would attract a big investor if they were in the prem. Sleeping giant.

Wolves have the benefit of Jorge Mendes convincing Portuguese internationals to go and play for them.

Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa all got s**t owners despite having the history and support that Leeds do.

Wolves also have Fosun who are mega rich and want them to be a successful top 4 club in England. Mendes shouldn't get all the credit for Wolves, it should be going to Fosun and Jeff Shi.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Investors going to clubs north of London is more hit than miss. Leeds if they even did get a new owner is no guarantee they don't just get a Villa type owner who skimps out.

Was actually talking about ownership and a few relegated clubs the other day with a mate. When I first started following spurs there was the clear big 4, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Next rung down were Newcastle, Leeds and Aston Villa. After that came spurs and Everton. Crazy that the current big 6 completely skipped that next rung of 3 and they all got relegated along the way and the biggest of the 6 currently wasn't even in the top flight!

Back