Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not talking about developing kids from the VFL competition, but developing kids that we draft. Be they from the VFL, Falcons or interstate.
I would like to see us take a punt on a kid or even a mature player from the state leagues rather then burning picks on players from other clubs that, in the end, are only fringe players. i.e. Stanley and Black.

Cheers

Don't think we need Dalhaus... We have recruited many small forward types, we have a lot on our list, some will make it - Fogarty, Miers, Kelly, Gregson, McCarthy, Jones...

We need a Key Forward and Key Defender more than anything IMO given our list. Maybe one outside class user of the footy too.

While i rate him HBFs are not a positional need for us especially for what pick he would have cost in a trade.

The longer Dahlhaus remains unsigned the more i hope we target him, would feel a real need if McCarthy and Gregson struggle to get back and no trade needed as he's FA.

A small forward and a key forward would be ideal but the latter will cost a heck of a lot in salary and trade.

Don’t get me wrong I would love this kid on my list
But for pure list management I would prefer Dalhuas 100%

I am not talking about developing kids from the VFL competition per se, but developing kids that we draft. Be they from the VFL, Falcons or interstate.
I would like to see us take a punt on a kid or even a mature player from the state leagues rather then burning picks on players from other clubs that, in the end, are only fringe players. i.e. Stanley and Black.

Black was a pick 92 with no salary hit, hard to view his price tag as any real loss.

Ultimately Geelong has a strategy that seeks to balance all different aspects of recruiting and list management. Until something quite significant changes you won't see us go all-in on anything, whether trades/FA/drafting. And hopefully the club prioritises well and makes good decisions within that framework.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While i rate him HBFs are not a positional need for us especially for what pick he would have cost in a trade.

The longer Dahlhaus remains unsigned the more i hope we target him, would feel a real need if McCarthy and Gregson struggle to get back and no trade needed as he's FA.

A small forward and a key forward would be ideal but the latter will cost a heck of a lot in salary and trade.

One problem, Dahlhaus isn't a small forward.

Don't think we need Dalhaus... We have recruited many small forward types, we have a lot on our list, some will make it - Fogarty, Miers, Kelly, Gregson, McCarthy, Jones...

They're all either injured or unproven at senior level.
Would take him in a heartbeat.

His acquisition would be more of a succession plan for the midfield / forward stocks. GAJ is probably a 2 year addition at best.

At 34 , one should not plan for more than 2 years... after that anything is an unusual bonus. Dalhouse would be a hand acquisition if it cost us just dollars. Sure we have smalls ..but we have struggled to keep enough fit , if we have a good group.. the internal pressure for games will push the cream to rise.

I know there has been debate on Sloane and UFA .... it appears its still not clear cut ....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/491a4ebc02f7f56e74115dfb1119fac3

AFL clubs awaiting an AFL ruling on the status of out-of-contract Crow Rory Sloane

THE WHISPER

AFL clubs are sweating on a league ruling on the status of out-of-contract Crows star Rory Sloane.

Some changes to the new collective bargaining agreement has created confusion over whether Sloane is regarded as a restricted or unrestricted free agent.

If it’s the later — which Victorian clubs are praying for — then it makes any poaching attempt a lot easier to execute.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/491a4ebc02f7f56e74115dfb1119fac3

MOST WANTED: TOP 10 2018 FREE AGENCY TARGETS

1. TOM LYNCH (GC)
Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood lead the chase. Big job for Stuart Dew to lift Suns off the canvas.

2. RORY SLOANE (ADEL)
Ultra-courageous (Victorian) midfielder faces a big decision. Adelaide has to act now.

3. ANDREW GAFF (WC)
Has long been linked to a move home to Victoria. Elite wingman would be cream on the cake at a number of clubs.

4. MARC MURPHY (CARL)
Embedded at the Blues, we expect the skipper to re-sign. But compensation pick could be early first-round if he did leave.

5. JEREMY MCGOVERN (WC)
Should stay in the west but Fremantle could make a play after missing out on his brother, Mitch.

6. LUKE DAHLHAUS (WB)
The midfield-forward wasn’t at his best in 2017 and will try and re-establish his contract value early next year.

7. TOM LIBERATORE (WB)
Like Dahlhaus, Liberatore’s status as an elite midfielder was challenged this season. Dogs want to see elite standards.

8. BEN REID (COLL)
Don’t see him leaving after regaining full faith in his body. Pies light on for key position players as it is.

9. TOM MCDONALD (MEL)
Took his time re-signing last year and is still a key pillar for the Dees. Can play anywhere these days.

10. SHAUN ATLEY (NM)
The Roos will have to be creative and open-minded as they try and rebuild the list as quickly as possible. Atley has speed.

Last edited:
I heard Larry Donahue talking on SEN .. in relation to mid year trades.. playing with John Scarlett one week ..playing against him the next . I have to agree that there is something distasteful about this ... do we really want to get to a stage where a side could be so drastically affected in the middle of the year. In the NBA recently LeBron's side Clevland basically turned the side over around him ..different game and fewer players but would we really want to see 5 players cut and 5 brought in mid year from other clubs? Im not sure... Maybe King is correct have bigger lists... or perhaps have the ability to let players play outside your system while still having rights to call them up. Once we had a lot more on lists.
In Draft trades will happen this year and possibly in draft players trades look to be a strong chance soon .... maybe playing games on rectangles with silver balls is affecting my judgement but im not sure we have to go down the path to copy so many things from other codes.

I know there has been debate on Sloane and UFA .... it appears its still not clear cut ....

AFL clubs awaiting an AFL ruling on the status of out-of-contract Crow Rory Sloane

THE WHISPER

AFL clubs are sweating on a league ruling on the status of out-of-contract Crows star Rory Sloane.

Some changes to the new collective bargaining agreement has created confusion over whether Sloane is regarded as a restricted or unrestricted free agent.

If it’s the later — which Victorian clubs are praying for — then it makes any poaching attempt a lot easier to execute.

MOST WANTED: TOP 10 2018 FREE AGENCY TARGETS

1. TOM LYNCH (GC)
Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood lead the chase. Big job for Stuart Dew to lift Suns off the canvas.

2. RORY SLOANE (ADEL)
Ultra-courageous (Victorian) midfielder faces a big decision. Adelaide has to act now.

3. ANDREW GAFF (WC)
Has long been linked to a move home to Victoria. Elite wingman would be cream on the cake at a number of clubs.

4. MARC MURPHY (CARL)
Embedded at the Blues, we expect the skipper to re-sign. But compensation pick could be early first-round if he did leave.

5. JEREMY MCGOVERN (WC)
Should stay in the west but Fremantle could make a play after missing out on his brother, Mitch.

6. LUKE DAHLHAUS (WB)
The midfield-forward wasn’t at his best in 2017 and will try and re-establish his contract value early next year.

7. TOM LIBERATORE (WB)
Like Dahlhaus, Liberatore’s status as an elite midfielder was challenged this season. Dogs want to see elite standards.

8. BEN REID (COLL)
Don’t see him leaving after regaining full faith in his body. Pies light on for key position players as it is.

9. TOM MCDONALD (MEL)
Took his time re-signing last year and is still a key pillar for the Dees. Can play anywhere these days.

10. SHAUN ATLEY (NM)
The Roos will have to be creative and open-minded as they try and rebuild the list as quickly as possible. Atley has speed.
Would be pretty happy to see Dahlhouse and Sloane at the Cats in 2019 :D

Bigger lists would be preferred over mid season trading. Clubs can see the benefit of being able to bring in a ruck for example from the VFL etc if they happened to lose their rucks during the year but isn't that what list management is about?. You want to run the risk of only having 2 rucks on your list and carry extra mids for example, that is your decision. If it fails, then bad luck. You shouldn't get a 2nd bite of the cherry to top up.

I would just do away with rookie listed players (keep the players but lose the rookie component) and increase the list size by 4 or 5 players. Rookies could still be categorized as such from a player payment/contract length standpoint but do away will all elevation/LTI rubbish. Always found it odd. Either the blokes on your list or he isn't.

Larger lists would run the risk of the AFL deeming the season should go longer as clubs have more players to potentially rotate. Its unlikely but they are driven by money.

The NRL is a complete cluster with their player movements/trades. I don't want to see the AFL go down this path.

Bigger lists would be preferred over mid season trading. Clubs can see the benefit of being able to bring in a ruck for example from the VFL etc if they happened to lose their rucks during the year but isn't that what list management is about?. You want to run the risk of only having 2 rucks on your list and carry extra mids for example, that is your decision. If it fails, then bad luck. You shouldn't get a 2nd bite of the cherry to top up.

I would just do away with rookie listed players (keep the players but lose the rookie component) and increase the list size by 4 or 5 players. Rookies could still be categorized as such from a player payment/contract length standpoint but do away will all elevation/LTI rubbish. Always found it odd. Either the blokes on your list or he isn't.

Larger lists would run the risk of the AFL deeming the season should go longer as clubs have more players to potentially rotate. Its unlikely but they are driven by money.

The NRL is a complete cluster with their player movements/trades. I don't want to see the AFL go down this path.

List sizes are big enough as they are, if anything they should reduce them to around 35 players per team.

Bigger list sizers is a great idea they would need to also increase the salary cap to accomodate. If you take Geelong as the example just give them access to call on any of the geelong vfl listed players. You could do that without greatly impacting the overall list. Cats have injuries to half backs and brings in a vfl listed hbf with a contract until there end of the season.
They already train and mix with these players now so the adjustment wouldn’t be to great.

THE WHISPER

We hear one father-son prospect who has a choice of clubs this year won’t be going to one in particular. The reason? His old man is still dirty about being left out of a finals team back in his day.
Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/cc89c43065a33d650cec16278d26d064

In 1999, Scott would miss out on selection for the Kangaroos eventual Grand Final victory over Carlton. According to Captain Wayne Careypost-match, was "very unlucky to miss out".
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Scott_(Australian_footballer)

Looks like Bailey Scott will make a choice between us or the Suns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back