List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone tell me why we chose to keep Hopper instead of Kennedy? Kennedy does everything Hopper does and is a better kick off both feet, and a better overhead mark. What am I missing?

Can anyone tell me why we chose to keep Hopper instead of Kennedy? Kennedy does everything Hopper does and is a better kick off both feet, and a better overhead mark. What am I missing?
I am totally with you on the player comparison, I also think Matt will be a bigger bull.
Maybe we were committed to Hopper already?

Dont disagree with either of you.
Could it just be the coaches see them a lot more in training, and Hopper has had injury problems. Maybe He's seen as having the higher ceiling although It's not yet been seen on game day?

Phil Davis's contract expires this year as well. I've never thought much about him leaving and assumed he was locked in long term like Callan. Does the fact he isn't mean he didn't want to? I hope not.
His position doesn'tseem to be under any threat and he seems a good captain.
I recall a players survey in 2015 I think about which team mate has your back. The mids all chose Mummy in no surprise, but he challenged Mummy overall.
Hopefully a quiet re-sign early in the year.

My 5 cents worth. I am of the view that the recruiting team got a little fixated on the small/medium forward problem that Giants suffered in season 2017, given our recruiting was heavily biased in that area - Bonar, Daniels, Langdon, Buckley - with the loss of just Smith & Johnson. I feel that we're a touch unbalanced with the list position diversity now. I therefore remain disappointed that we gave away Matty Kennedy, who I think has good potential for midfield development and was OK in that forward position (albeit lacking speed - which seems to have been the overarching factor during the 2017 trade/draft week). (So, IMHO we'll have to play forwards in midfield in NEAFL, which puzzles me as to why then we gave away Bam Bam.) I am also a touch concerned that we simply copied the Richmond model in our recruiting approach. Still, I am just an amateur, so it's now up to the professionals to make their selections work.

I have also long held a view that we need to reduce our annual list turnover a touch; which seemed to be on track in 2017 until Wilson's baby news & departure and then Mummy's unexpected retirement. Nevertheless, I hope that we keep the departures to a minimum. Ryan Griffen is out of contract and - whether or not Giants win the flag - I hope that he has a good season but gracefully retires at season's end. That provides one of our required draft slots and releases $ (which presumably has been already factored in!). Tim Mohr is the other I expect to retire, or perhaps get moved to the rookie list. The priority re-signings are naturally Phil Davis & Toby Greene - as always there will be much speculation until the re-sign, so hopefully the $ are worked out and their deals done early. Isaac Cumming would be next priority for mine, with Keefe & Simpson being looked at throughout the whole year as to how they fit into the whole picture. Jeremy Finlayson & Lachie Tiziani are probably a bit at risk too for the third departing spot (the latter IMHO because we are now heavy in small/medium forwards plus Matt Walker is an academy option next year), although TOJ may be safe if Tim Mohr is the one who departs. I won't speculate on the rookies, and the other curveball of course will be anyone in contract who gets enticed to request an early release - but hopefully there will be none of those!

I would be hopeful that Davis & Greene are pretty committed to Giants and the re-signing will be smooth, but the trick is always what $ figure is sufficient to reward their skill but not enough the break the bank and cost us someone else important. While both players are important cogs, neither is the standout that you can build your team around (although Toby is close but not quite [and I am an ardent fan of Toby's]).

My 5 cents worth. I am of the view that the recruiting team got a little fixated on the small/medium forward problem that Giants suffered in season 2017, given our recruiting was heavily biased in that area - Bonar, Daniels, Langdon, Buckley - with the loss of just Smith & Johnson. I feel that we're a touch unbalanced with the list position diversity now. I therefore remain disappointed that we gave away Matty Kennedy, who I think has good potential for midfield development and was OK in that forward position (albeit lacking speed - which seems to have been the overarching factor during the 2017 trade/draft week). (So, IMHO we'll have to play forwards in midfield in NEAFL, which puzzles me as to why then we gave away Bam Bam.) I am also a touch concerned that we simply copied the Richmond model in our recruiting approach. Still, I am just an amateur, so it's now up to the professionals to make their selections work.

I have also long held a view that we need to reduce our annual list turnover a touch; which seemed to be on track in 2017 until Wilson's baby news & departure and then Mummy's unexpected retirement. Nevertheless, I hope that we keep the departures to a minimum. Ryan Griffen is out of contract and - whether or not Giants win the flag - I hope that he has a good season but gracefully retires at season's end. That provides one of our required draft slots and releases $ (which presumably has been already factored in!). Tim Mohr is the other I expect to retire, or perhaps get moved to the rookie list. The priority re-signings are naturally Phil Davis & Toby Greene - as always there will be much speculation until the re-sign, so hopefully the $ are worked out and their deals done early. Isaac Cumming would be next priority for mine, with Keefe & Simpson being looked at throughout the whole year as to how they fit into the whole picture. Jeremy Finlayson & Lachie Tiziani are probably a bit at risk too for the third departing spot (the latter IMHO because we are now heavy in small/medium forwards plus Matt Walker is an academy option next year), although TOJ may be safe if Tim Mohr is the one who departs. I won't speculate on the rookies, and the other curveball of course will be anyone in contract who gets enticed to request an early release - but hopefully there will be none of those!

I would be hopeful that Davis & Greene are pretty committed to Giants and the re-signing will be smooth, but the trick is always what $ figure is sufficient to reward their skill but not enough the break the bank and cost us someone else important. While both players are important cogs, neither is the standout that you can build your team around (although Toby is close but not quite [and I am an ardent fan of Toby's]).

I'm ok with the focus on drafting fwd pressure and speed, we had identified it as a weakness well before it was highlighted as a tiger strength.
Like you I am dissapointed on the MK call, I believe we will come to rue it, especially as he wanted to stay until it became clear he wasn't a priority..

Next year is looking like being one of the best draft pools in years, if it still looks that way after the U18 champs I will be surprised if we don't trade aggresively into the top end of it which will mean losing more current best 22 talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I hate losing MK I can understand why.

We have a lot of similar midfielders and we also have Taranto and Setterfield who both project as point of difference players.

MK was simply surplus to requirements and the list management team viewed hopper as the superior player

As much as I hate losing MK I can understand why.

We have a lot of similar midfielders and we also have Taranto and Setterfield who both project as point of difference players.

MK was simply surplus to requirements and the list management team viewed hopper as the superior player

Time will out, and not much else, I'm on the other side of that equation.
We also really do lack midfield depth of quality so I can't help but question the call, and intend to do so with the club.

How does one go about questioning the club?

Personally I attend whatever forums they hold, mostly I just listen, occasionally ask, this year I have at least one question :)
A few of the club functions also allow for individual interaction where there is occasionally more candour.

Time will out, and not much else, I'm on the other side of that equation.
We also really do lack midfield depth of quality so I can't help but question the call, and intend to do so with the club.
Not a fan of MK. Don't think he will show is up. Hopper is a better player but no superstar. Looking forward to the growth of Taranto and Setterfield.

Not a fan of MK. Don't think he will show is up. Hopper is a better player but no superstar. Looking forward to the growth of Taranto and Setterfield.
TT and Setters are vastly different players to Hopper and MK as you would know.
As I said, time will out on the two in question, I'm betting black, but would love it to be red.

Looking in from the outside of the decision to trade Bam Bam I'd say it came down to who has better personality and work rate for the squad. Would have loved to kept MK but he would have known he's best 22 at most other clubs in the competition so he shouldn't have to be sitting in our NEAFL team until someone gets injured

MK is a nice all around player who ok at most things but isn’t elite at anything. He might make the grade as a mid size forward. Or maybe not.

Hopper is a lot better than MK at some things, namely winning ground level contests, and a lot worse at others. That gives him a clear role in the team of Contest Winner.

Still vividly recall Hopper’s debut where he bulldozed past any Gold Coast player between him and the ball 20+ times.

Hopper has struggled with various injuries. He might get fit and become the midfield contest dominator we hoped for when we first saw him a couple of years ago. Or maybe not.

Point is because Hopper is elite at a couple of things, his upside is much greater.

Club made the correct call based on the odds IMO.

What are peoples thoughts on the OOC players and their options
Davis 28 in August so maybe a 3 or 4 year contract is on the table and hopefully it is done before the start of the season
Greene I would like to see a 5 year contract but it could be another 2 years for him
Cumming Still to extend his draftee contract so maybe in the lead up to his debut they announce something (1 year could be a possibility but hopefully 2
Keefe One of the 2 rucks to be delisted at the end of the season
Simpson One of the 2 rucks to be delisted at the end of the season
Finlayson Him or Tiziani to stay on the list is my pick with a 1 year extension
Griffen Retire
Tiziani Him or Finlayson to stay on the list is my pick with a 1 year extension
Mohr Retire and maybe a coaching or development role

Rookies
Sproule Hope they extend as the squad is high for key forwards
J Buckley Too early
Stein I would like to keep him on the list for 2019 and I can see him having a better season after all the top ups around him and trying to learn the game
D Buckley Too early
Reid I think this is likely to be his last year officially on the list and maybe he will take up a role with the club

What are peoples thoughts on the OOC players and their options
Davis 28 in August so maybe a 3 or 4 year contract is on the table and hopefully it is done before the start of the season
Greene I would like to see a 5 year contract but it could be another 2 years for him
Cumming Still to extend his draftee contract so maybe in the lead up to his debut they announce something (1 year could be a possibility but hopefully 2
Keefe One of the 2 rucks to be delisted at the end of the season
Simpson One of the 2 rucks to be delisted at the end of the season
Finlayson Him or Tiziani to stay on the list is my pick with a 1 year extension
Griffen Retire
Tiziani Him or Finlayson to stay on the list is my pick with a 1 year extension
Mohr Retire and maybe a coaching or development role

Rookies
Sproule Hope they extend as the squad is high for key forwards
J Buckley Too early
Stein I would like to keep him on the list for 2019 and I can see him having a better season after all the top ups around him and trying to learn the game
D Buckley Too early
Reid I think this is likely to be his last year officially on the list and maybe he will take up a role with the club
Agree with you on pretty much all fronts.

I think Simpson will depart to another club that can offer him better opportunity, especially if Lobb experiment goes well claims the full-time #1 ruck spot which I think is very likely to happen

Agree with you on pretty much all fronts.

I think Simpson will depart to another club that can offer him better opportunity, especially if Lobb experiment goes well claims the full-time #1 ruck spot which I think is very likely to happen
Can’t see a club offering big Dawson a contract. It’s us or bust I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back