North Melbourne and the 1990's

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
these two go together like ham and cheese. What a time, special time in my life and in AFL Football. The 1990's. North were truly amazing to watch back then and for me, probably the best to watch as a whole since I've been a footy fan. My first memory of the Roos was in 1992 watching wings over Waverley, a 1991 documentary on the great season of the West Coast Eagles and their maiden grand final appearance. In the program North led by a Jose Romero inspired performance were just the 2nd team to beat WCE that season { WCE won their first 12 games } on a friday night. WCE's gallant effort at a comeback fell short by about 3 points or so. In 1992 North didn't amount to much, but come 1993 and this was the start of a North Melbourne emergence that would eventually rise to prominence in the decade that delivered.

Carey would have his first breakout season amassing over 60 goals, Longmire snagged 75 and a new kid called Adrian McAdam would bang home 68 himself many coming early on. Glen Archer would get regular games at this point in time and North were racking up big scores on the board and looked as though they could win the flag, a complete turnaround from the year before. Carey finished the season injured and North dropped their last two games, one a final vs WCE. The year ended an anti climax but for much of the year North were a force to be reckoned with. Something that would remain the same for the most part for the next 7 years where the Roos managed a prelim birth or higher.

1994 they were denied a grand final After Ablett famously marked seconds before the final siren with scores locked then finished from the goal square after the siren. 1995 the Kanga's got poleaxed on a Saturday night prelim to eventual premiers Carlton. Their long awaited flag duly arrived in 1996 after they beat Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly's and Paul Roos's Sydney Swans who for many years struggled themselves. 1997 North upset the top of the table Geelong in a sunday night twighlight showdown at the G where Carey netted 7 goals. Allison chipped in with 3 and the 7th placed Roos caused a major boilover. They would then repeat the feat with a big come from behind win the next week after being down 32 points to the Eagles. 4 to Mckernan and 3 to Sholl saw the Roos triumph 15.8, to the Eagles 12.13. Their luck ran out a week later as Jason Heatley, who booted 9 goals out at Waverley the last time the two met once again stuck the daggers in with a further 7. Pagan slammed Schwass and Archer who missed the game through suspension as the dejected players were coming down the race.

1998 - 6.15 to 4.3 at half time in the Grand Final against the Adelaide Crows. Jarman goes berserk, again, and the rest is history. Wasted opportunity and literally kicked away a flag. Would make amends a year later in 1999 and solidify themselves as the best team of the 1990's.

Started with Carey, Longmire and many other players of high quality but finished the decade with more like Bell, Abraham, Pickett and Grant who made an impact. Corey Mckernan rose to prominence as did a young Brent Harvey. Little fella's like Brett Allison and Robert Scott acted as foot soldiers and Anthony Stevens and Adam Simpson were trojan work horses. Micky Martyn, a very solid Full Back and hard man.

Loved this great side and North under lights was what 1990's football was all about.

As I said, ham n cheese.

What’s a shame is that we never capitalised with flags. 1994 we were a strong chance, and 98 really should have been ours. But conversely, we kind of nicked 99. 8 straight prelim finals for only 2 flags isn’t the best return. Good times though.

What’s a shame is that we never capitalised with flags. 1994 we were a strong chance, and 98 really should have been ours. But conversely, we kind of nicked 99. 8 straight prelim finals for only 2 flags isn’t the best return. Good times though.

2 flags is a great effort but three, four or even five was possible given the quality of the squad.

94 would’ve been amazing. The best sides of the nineties in a GF.

Your TRUE failure to capitalise is on memberships.

Given how the Kangaroos dominated the second half of the 90s with one of the most exciting styles of play and with the King during an era when CHF was the most decorated position on the ground, it is an absolute shame on your club that you couldn't convert young kids from then into paid up members today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your TRUE failure to capitalise is on memberships.

Given how the Kangaroos dominated the second half of the 90s with one of the most exciting styles of play and with the King during an era when CHF was the most decorated position on the ground, it is an absolute shame on your club that you couldn't convert young kids from then into paid up members today.

Boomer Harvey mentioned this in 2016 and how they didn't capitalise on their success. He blamed Denis for not having North doing enough media appearances and the like. Personally I think that North just aren't a club who'll ever become a powerhouse even if they dominated the comp for 10-15 years.

Boomer Harvey mentioned this in 2016 and how they didn't capitalise on their success. He blamed Denis for not having North doing enough media appearances and the like. Personally I think that North just aren't a club who'll ever become a powerhouse even if they dominated the comp for 10-15 years.
Well we will know if that is true in 20 years.

There was one team that won two flags in the 1990s and played finals in every year of that decade. And it wasn't North.
Mentioned this months ago. After 1994 WCE disappeared from the biggest games on stage. After that success in 94, they won just two more finals games in the 1990's. And they got a good old fashioned beating in most of them. North started slow but finished the decade like a house on fire.

From 95 onwards this is how WCE fared.

Loss to Essendon by 19, lost to north by 11 goals.

1996 - 77 point loss to dons

1998 - 12 goal loss to doggies.

1999 - 52 point loss to the blues.

North made 3 grand finals and 2 prelims. Made the prelim also in 1994. Playing off to get into the gf 6 times is better than 4.

WCE in 1990

Beat Melb. Drew with Pies, lost replay by 10 goals. Lost to dons by 10 goals.

1991 lost GF by 53 points

In 97 and 98 went out in straight sets and went out first crack in 98.

Not giving the eagles the best side of the 90's tag when you win 2 finals games in 5 seasons going out without a win in 95, 97, and 1998, and getting belted in elimination in 96 and 99.

Growing up in that time as a tigers supporter was hard enough let alone having my best mate at the time fanatical north supporter

I would tag along with them to games a couple of times a year and be in awe

WCE in 1990

Beat Melb. Drew with Pies, lost replay by 10 goals. Lost to dons by 10 goals.

1991 lost GF by 53 points

In 97 and 98 went out in straight sets and went out first crack in 98.

Not giving the eagles the best side of the 90's tag when you win 2 finals games in 5 seasons going out without a win in 95, 97, and 1998, and getting belted in elimination in 96 and 99.
Don't tell Sooky Al this no doubt he would still be trying to look for a excuse

Don't tell Sooky Al this no doubt he would still be trying to look for a excuse
I mean... playing home finals in Melbourne is a pretty legitimate grievance and part of the reason for our struggles in finals in the second half of the decade with our premiership winning players on the decline.

I mean... playing home finals in Melbourne is a pretty legitimate grievance and part of the reason for our struggles in finals in the second half of the decade with our premiership winning players on the decline.
Seeing that West Coast lost those 2 finals by 77 and 54 points I reckon there was more than just the grounds that the games were played at at play

Seeing that West Coast lost those 2 finals by 77 and 54 points I reckon there was more than just the grounds that the games were played at at play
Playing big games away is incredibly difficult, especially in finals. I think there's a good chance we would have won both those games at home, but we'll never know.

Unfortunately it took almost another decade to get rid of that unfair scheduling issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back