Women's Footy AFLW and MFC Women's General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Please, goal kicking in the AFL has been an issue for years. Club fitness professionals dont allow most players to practice it at training any more due to risk of injury.

What? You have one or maybe two guys in a forward line who are terribly inconsistent in front of goals in a team. The women are lucky to have one player who IS a good shot for goal in the forward line.

I went along today and couldn't think of a greater example of a game of "two halves".

First half I was bored out of my mind and cursing the terrible standard and sloppy play.

2nd half was absolutely enthralling and had the same rush of excitement as if I was watching the men's team. Daisy is a natural and Rocky Cranston is a matchwinner. Game next week is looking good for another road trip out casey way

No, its not a novelty. In the context of 1 quarter of footy, it usually isnt a novelty.

I think you misunderstand. I find it hilarious when Travis Cloke or Joe Daniher kick 0.7 - it very much is a comical novelty.

Back from Casey - it's a loooong journey by public transport, especially with train replacement buses from Westall to Dandenong.

I was terrified it was looking like a repeat of round one last year - a loss to an unfancied interstate team where they were just so much more efficient than us when they got it into their forward 50. And Paxy out of action. But courtesy of Rocky, Daisy (of course), Elise O'Dea, Cat Phillips and Meg Downie, we got through.

Really hope Paxy is Ok and right for next week, though........

Just saw the rules for how the Victorian sides surrender players for Geelong and North at the end of this season. Each player is given a points ranking between 10 and 50, the 4 Vic clubs then have to surrender 2-4 players to a total of 100 points for Geelong and North.

Makes it interesting strategically. Geelong board is eyeing off four at the MFC who play for their VWFL side - Lily Mithen, Rocky, Erin Hoare and Anna Teague. Personally think Lily is a lock, Rocky will depend on this year but if she continues what she did today she has to stay. Hoare and Teague are queries.

Just saw the rules for how the Victorian sides surrender players for Geelong and North at the end of this season. Each player is given a points ranking between 10 and 50, the 4 Vic clubs then have to surrender 2-4 players to a total of 100 points for Geelong and North.

Makes it interesting strategically. Geelong board is eyeing off four at the MFC who play for their VWFL side - Lily Mithen, Rocky, Erin Hoare and Anna Teague. Personally think Lily is a lock, Rocky will depend on this year but if she continues what she did today she has to stay. Hoare and Teague are queries.
I instantly hate these rules

I instantly hate these rules

Yeah, 100 points seems a lot. That's two 50 point players, meaning two top of the line stars, down to four 25 point players, that are most likely middle tier. I'm very much for the expansion of women's football, but if the Vic sides have to give up that much to provide players for Geelong and North, then perhaps we shouldn't be expanding just yet. And what happens the following year when two more Vic teams join? The same again? Will Freo and Brisbane be expected to do the same to get West Coast and Gold Coast going?

We should send some scouts to Ireland and check out the ladies Gaelic players , or have the afl not thought of that yet . Saw some highlites of a couple of games in Ireland and the girls have pace and good hands . Might find a few gems

Yeah, 100 points seems a lot. That's two 50 point players, meaning two top of the line stars, down to four 25 point players, that are most likely middle tier. I'm very much for the expansion of women's football, but if the Vic sides have to give up that much to provide players for Geelong and North, then perhaps we shouldn't be expanding just yet. And what happens the following year when two more Vic teams join? The same again? Will Freo and Brisbane be expected to do the same to get West Coast and Gold Coast going?
I expect that Freo and Brisbane will have to do the same, yes.

And I guess the concern is that they don't want those sides to be blown away. The encouragement is to give away a top-liner I think - because if you give up a 50, you can then give up a 10 and two 20s or something along those lines.

The concern I do have is that, assuming there are multiple 50-point players, you could see multiple 50-pointers on the one side. Risks tipping the balance too far away.

The other thought is that with 10 as the minimum you're looking at 30 as an 'average' player. Give up 3x30 and a 10. I'd give up that, personally.

It more depends on what the points value of the players will be ultimately.

I do wonder, though, if the club might be trying to play it tactically with Mifsud as a result.

Speaking of Brisbane being involved in this scenario, I'm sure some of the older heads will well remember when the men's team was formed, and each of the existing twelve VFL clubs had to give up 2-3 players to help them form a team. The rubbish they got given - it was basically hand over the players you were delisting, older players who were on the verge of retirement and thought a year or two in the sun might be nice, etc. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Brisbane being involved in this scenario, I'm sure some of the older heads will well remember when the men's team was formed, and each of the existing twelve VFL clubs had to give up 2-3 players to help them form a team. The rubbish they got given - it was basically hand over the players you were delisting, older players who were on the verge of retirement and thought a year or two in the sun might be nice, etc. :)
Of course, but the flip side is ripping out the heart and identity of the existing squads.

Alright. Good, bad and Fugly
Good
Meg Downie was a star in defence yesterday, probably saved us some goals
Newman has some serious wheels, brings good pressure and speed
Our Kat Smith took a courageous mark late going back, although a teammate had to get out of the way
Rocky... Wow! Just wow! She lit it up in the final term, three goals and an outstanding pick up. Hoping her confidence carries from this game.
Daisy's final term was pretty good

Bad

losing Paxy early
Team was a bit fumbly at times. I suspect for season two with been working flat out on speed and endurance to be pro athletes. Sometimes i feel our girls where going so fast at times that they missed gathering the ball cleanly or disposing of it.

Fugly
Sorry Mel, keep working at it though, but the midfield didn't work for you today.

I did like Cunningham up forward, although i'd much prefer Mifsud. She worked hard to get to a lot of contests, although i feel she was slow at times and often took out teammates. Does have a presence but needs to learn a bit still. Good player to work on though.

Votes
Downie - 5
Rocky - 3
Daisy - 1
O'Dea - 1

Of course, but the flip side is ripping out the heart and identity of the existing squads.

Yes, obviously. But perhaps draft concessions are a better way to go than forcing clubs to give up players. With more AFL involvement in the VFLW next year there should be an increase in standard across many of the teams, so let Geelong and North have an extra dip in that pool. I'm sure they'd pick up some good players from the existing Vic clubs simply via general player movement and the possibility of swapping some of their extra draft picks for existing AFLW players at the other Vic teams.

The haha bears . Called them Brisbane and played out at Gold Coast . Shambles because the clubs were never going to give up quality players

Good
Our Kat Smith took a courageous mark late going back, although a teammate had to get out of the way
Rocky... Wow! Just wow! She lit it up in the final term, three goals and an outstanding pick up. Hoping her confidence carries from this game.

Bad

losing Paxy early
Team was a bit fumbly at times. I suspect for season two with been working flat out on speed and endurance to be pro athletes. Sometimes i feel our girls where going so fast at times that they missed gathering the ball cleanly or disposing of it.

Fugly
Sorry Mel, keep working at it though, but the midfield didn't work for you today.

I did like Cunningham up forward, although i'd much prefer Mifsud. She worked hard to get to a lot of contests, although i feel she was slow at times and often took out teammates. Does have a presence but needs to learn a bit still. Good player to work on though.

Votes
Downie - 5
Rocky - 3
Daisy - 1
O'Dea - 1
I’ll take your good/bad/fuglys thanks. Though I would probably put more emphasis on Daisy’s leadership in the second half - true Captain stuff. She stood up where it counted and had to shrug off a decent tag to do so. I loved Rocky and that pickup was insane. I also think once Cunningham gets some experience with that group of forwards she will be an asset - she looks a bit uncertain of the structures at the moment. Kate Hore went okay - if she can shake off the nerves/errors in front of goal she will have a good season. I also love the speed of Phillips and Newman.

Good

Bad

losing Paxy early

Fugly

Votes
Downie - 5
Rocky - 3
Daisy - 1
O'Dea - 1
Mel went back to half back late in the game and I thought she looked much better, didn't looked to have much ability to win her own ball in the middle.

Also think Cunningham will be much better when she's got Mifsud down there to take the pressure off. Hopefully she's back next week, and her, Cunningham and Rocky can cause all sorts of headaches for the Crows.

We're going to be 4th I would say, but I definitely think our win is more impressive than Carlton's.

It's going to be bloody tough to make the GF. Five sides in play for mine right now - Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, Adelaide and the Dogs. Carlton have a win too so they could definitely strike at some point, they really came together mid-last year.

We're going to be 4th I would say, but I definitely think our win is more impressive than Carlton's.

It's going to be bloody tough to make the GF. Five sides in play for mine right now - Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, Adelaide and the Dogs. Carlton have a win too so they could definitely strike at some point, they really came together mid-last year.
I still think we got a good list to play in the GF, just needs to click. Took a game and half last year to get going

Adelaide will depend a LOT on how Erin Phillips is. If her quad injury is serious and keeps her out for a few weeks I'd say they are in big trouble. I saw some stats a few days ago which suggested the Crows had the smallest number of elite, and highest number of below average, players in the comp last year. They really relied on a few stars - Phillips, Randall, Marinoff, Perkins, etc, and with the standard of the comp rising it will be more difficult to get away with this.

Mind you, if we lose Paxy for an extended period I think we're in trouble too. :(

I still think we got a good list to play in the GF, just needs to click. Took a game and half last year to get going
Adelaide will depend a LOT on how Erin Phillips is. If her quad injury is serious and keeps her out for a few weeks I'd say they are in big trouble. I saw some stats a few days ago which suggested the Crows had the smallest number of elite, and highest number of below average, players in the comp last year. They really relied on a few stars - Phillips, Randall, Marinoff, Perkins, etc, and with the standard of the comp rising it will be more difficult to get away with this.

Mind you, if we lose Paxy for an extended period I think we're in trouble too. :(
Clarity: 4th after Rd1. Kicked the second highest score of the round though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back