Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

How North Melbourne still exist and Tassie don't have their own team is one of life's great mysteries. Well not really, because how stupidly this league was concocted, but it is ridiculous.
We dont need Port Adelaide
As recently as 5 years ago you were nearly gone.

AFL could simply stop giving North all the extra cash they get to keep them afloat. They'd be in the shitter in no time. It' obvious that they don't have the appetite to do it unfortunately because it would have been done already.
LOL
You do understand there are contracts in place and that the AFL will be litigated due to restraint of trade.
That opens up so much problems to the point of the AFL damaging its brand. Its not worth it.
It would be a PR disaster and any AFL commission willing to do so would be sacked within weeks.

This isnt 1996. Mate.

20,000 non Taswegians would travel to Tasmania every second week?

The proof of this would be the 20,000 away team supporters who travel to Tasmania every time Hawthorn and North Melbourne play there?

Even 2,000 would be pushing it.

With a Tasteam we'd get 5/6 games in Launceston & 5/6 in Hobart. So interstate supporterz would get a game in either city once each 2 years. Much better for attracting supporters than Hawthorn. Anyone would get tired of flying into Launceston 4 times a year to see mych the same opposition year after year.

Absolutely true.

And why would Tas want a Melbourne suburban team?
Tasmanians are not foreign to the code. They arent Rugby fans first.
A relocated team would never be accepted and would teeter out fail because 2 supporter bases from Melbourne and Tasmania will jump off.
Its the quickest and easiest way to have a proposal fail.

We dont need Port Adelaide
As recently as 5 years ago you were nearly gone.

LOL
You do understand there are contracts in place and that the AFL will be litigated due to restraint of trade.
That opens up so much problems to the point of the AFL damaging its brand. Its not worth it.
It would be a PR disaster and any AFL commission willing to do so would be sacked within weeks.

This isnt 1996. Mate.

Your 2nd point might be valid, but you're clutching at straws to suggest the league would be breaking any law by ending discretionary handouts to a particular club.

Your 2nd point might be valid, but you're clutching at straws to suggest the league would be breaking any law by ending discretionary handouts to a particular club.
Thats my point. Where does it end?
The AFL exists because of the 18 clubs not for them. If they wanted to run a club into an act of submission it opens up a can of worms that would be a legal mind*.

The AFL exists because of the 18 clubs not for them. If they wanted to run a club into an act of submission it opens up a can of worms that would be a legal mind****.

Where does it say it has to be the same 18 clubs we have now? The AFL could run its commercial interests with any changes it likes.

However I cant see any real change in that regard, except maybe for the addition of new clubs, in the foreseable future.

WA3 & Tas1

Where does it say it has to be the same 18 clubs we have now? The AFL could run its commercial interests with any changes it likes.

However I cant see any real change in that regard, except maybe for the addition of new clubs, in the foreseable future.

WA3 & Tas1
It doesnt. If the current 18 clubs were guaranteed asylum then it would inbreed incompetence and a lack of accountability.
The league needs to keep clubs honest and a byproduct of that is clubs must ensure they are governed correctly.
Its a massive cycle of do the right thing and we will do the right thing by you.
The AFL has always made that known to its clubs in Melbourne and has been public about it too.

But to suggest they could financially strangle a club and have it their way is fanciful.

The AFL exists because of the 18 clubs not for them. If they wanted to run a club into an act of submission it opens up a can of worms that would be a legal mind****.

Ending discretionary handouts is hardly the same as running a club into submission. It would merely put the club on the same footing as many others. It could easily be done.

Ending discretionary handouts is hardly the same as running a club into submission. It would merely put the club on the same footing as many others. It could easily be done.
So you are one of those. Im all for the equalisation funding being removed and allowing each club the opportunity to play in marquee timeslots in an equal setting, but thats why we have a FIXture. This isnt 2009 so lets not regurgitate the usual dribble as to how the AFL runs things.

So you are one of those. Im all for the equalisation funding being removed and allowing each club the opportunity to play in marquee timeslots in an equal setting, but thats why we have a FIXture. This isnt 2009 so lets not regurgitate the usual dribble as to how the AFL runs things.

I'm certainly all for the AFL being transparent about how and why additional funding is allocated. It clearly has little to do with blockbuster fixtures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the court case if they did that would be interesting.

Just been talking about that, What a gutless useless pratt he turned out to be. Typical climber. He couldn't 'head' anything unless his brother set it up for him.

Auld? What do you think of the new head of AFL tasmania?

Auld? What do you think of the new head of AFL tasmania?

I've no idea. She was part time a AFLTas doing 'community something something something'. I see they went over the 2ic Carl Saunders, so something fishy their. Who knows she may actually concentrate AFLTas on 'Tasmanian' footy for a change. That'd be a bloody miracle in itself.

I think the big joke is Auld being promoted to head of game development at the AFL. What is he going to develop, his career under his brothers desk? 20months here & he developed precisely 2 clubs out of the TSL, & SFA else. What fraud.

Yeah, that explains why the 2 Perth clubs get big handouts every year, with the lack of blockbuster fixtures they get.

Hint: Only part of the above statement is true.
Id love the luxury of sharing my home ground with one team too. And have it all for myself every other weekend ;)

Imagine if they properly investigated what Dank did when at Geelong. You know... if ethics actually mattered to the AFL.

They did a full audit of the club with emails, paper records and texts over those 5 or so years. Since everything has already been done I'm not sure what you'd suggest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back