MFC Fans Only 2017/2018 Summer sports talk

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was that TD!

Even better that Brady tried the same play earlier and stuffed it!
Sensational. Big Dick Nick does it again.

Geez the trophy presentation is painful ... "World Champions" ... the owner dedicating the win to his parents, while the players and coach credited it to god ... just horrible.
Yeah the world champions thing is pretty stale.

They haven't realised yet that 5 days of boring cricket will end up killing the game. Better to have 3 days of interesting play than the boring rubbish we are getting served up now. My favourite test each year used to be the Perth test, fast and bouncy with no hope of it going 5 days.

This is a good point. Also the Gabba used to be a good test wicket when Australian bowlers actually knew how to swing the new ball. But they don't bother learning that craft as much now because most wickets in Australia are roads like you say

I think it more speaks to the quality or lack thereof of pace bowling globally. The closest since would likely be McGrath/Lee/Dizzy but it still isn't in the same stratosphere.

I would go McGrath/Fleming/Dizzy, I rated Fleming well above Lee in terms of skill, he just wasn't durable unfortunately. But for a period there those three were dynamite. Still remember Fleming bowling I think at the Gabba, maybe Perth, and for a few balls literally every player bar himself was behind the wicket for a catch because his swing in his first spell was almost unplayable.

Faulkner shouldn’t be on the list next year, bloke has fallen away quickly. He no longer has the power hitting and his bowling is not troubling at all.

While I’m at it Ben Dunk should hand back his pay cheque this season

Yeh I used to really like Faulkner, but his bowling technique is just getting more bizarre, its like he is trying to get low and hunched down as possible. And his big hitting is gone. Not sure what's happened to him, whether it's loss of confidence, nagging injury or just gone past it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh I used to really like Faulkner, but his bowling technique is just getting more bizarre, its like he is trying to get low and hunched down as possible. And his big hitting is gone. Not sure what's happened to him, whether it's loss of confidence, nagging injury or just gone past it.
A little from columns A, B and C.

Reminds me of a time someone hit a big six at our home ground & the ball ended up across the road in someones front yard a teenage teammate went to retrieve the ball only to have the resident grab the ball & refuse to give it back. Being captain it was up to me to go over there to talk to the guy. He ended up giving it back to me but he told me he wanted players to stop hitting the ball near his house. I told him to take it up with the council. Guy buys a house near an oval & complains about the odd stray ball. It's like someone buying a house in Tullamarine & complaining about airplanes.

Happens in Sydney all the time - that's why Sydney Airport has a curfew for plane movement.
Its different in Melbourne. Tullamarine residents traditionally complain about being too close to the Essendon Football Club.

Reminds me of a time someone hit a big six at our home ground & the ball ended up across the road in someones front yard a teenage teammate went to retrieve the ball only to have the resident grab the ball & refuse to give it back. Being captain it was up to me to go over there to talk to the guy. He ended up giving it back to me but he told me he wanted players to stop hitting the ball near his house. I told him to take it up with the council. Guy buys a house near an oval & complains about the odd stray ball. It's like someone buying a house in Tullamarine & complaining about airplanes.

A QC bought a house across the road from one of the home grounds of the club I used to play for in Sydney and had a local rule brought in that if a ball was hit over the (large baseball style) fence, it was a dot ball instead of 6. That fence went from about mid on to square leg on one side of the ground. I've seen a guy get 98 with two "dot balls" and numerous players get out because instead of tanking one out of the park, they tried to ease the ball into the fence and got caught by the man on it.

At our other home ground, a resident had a similar style fence put up on the part of the field right in front of their backyard because Big Dicky Cheeks smoked 4 or 5 maximums off onto their property one quiet Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back