News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who were paying attention, the whole point of my post was to say that Steven Motlop has in no way ever deserved to be rated as first round talent. The AFL compensated Geelong with pick #19, which the Cats flipped our way so they could welcome Gary Ablett back to the warm teat. Maybe Ablett and Stevie J got some videos on YouTube a few years ago, but all the Motlops are particularly renowned for trick shots without earning quite the plaudits for their overall performance. I might be showing my age, but it seems like there's been one Motlop brother or other in the highlights packages for the past 20 seasons and none of them have been first round value.

For those keeping score, Mr bods was correct, SaadyArmy worked it out - appreciate the apology, but no dramas - while the usual bookends came in swinging as per usual and proved that even after having their error pointed out to them they are thicker than 50 bricks. Lift your game, lads! Your bullying and persistent sniping isn't even up to the standard of 12 year old girls.

For those who were paying attention, the whole point of my post was to say that Steven Motlop has in no way ever deserved to be rated as first round talent. The AFL compensated Geelong with pick #19, which the Cats flipped our way so they could welcome Gary Ablett back to the warm teat. Maybe Ablett and Stevie J got some videos on YouTube a few years ago, but all the Motlops are particularly renowned for trick shots without earning quite the plaudits for their overall performance. I might be showing my age, but it seems like there's been one Motlop brother or other in the highlights packages for the past 20 seasons and none of them have been first round value.

For those keeping score, Mr bods was correct, SaadyArmy worked it out - appreciate the apology, but no dramas - while the usual bookends came in swinging as per usual and proved that even after having their error pointed out to them they are thicker than 50 bricks. Lift your game, lads! Your bullying and persistent sniping isn't even up to the standard of 12 year old girls.
You were wrong though there isn't any videos of Motlop kicking footballs in bins. No one is out to get you, your post was just confusing.

You were wrong though there isn't any videos of Motlop kicking footballs in bins. No one is out to get you, your post was just confusing.
Mate, I just said I might have confused the Motlop brothers for one another. It is pretty easy to find trick shots of both Steven and Daniel, both on and especially off the field. Daniel had a very good trick shot compilation and Steven has put some out too.

My post wasn't confusing, it was just written with direct reference to the previous post. It says in plain English that I am talking about Geelong's trade of Steven Motlop that ultimately allowed them to make the Ablett trade. The first person who read it with the wrong impression realised his mistake on the second read through. Others didn't bother to correct their mistakes or admit that they'd been gooses. This is because they troll every post I make with their snide little remarks and they don't care if they are wrong or called out for it. One of them claims he has "stopped retaliating", yet his constant baiting is daily and has been for a number of weeks since he first quoted a comment I'd made 6 weeks prior. He was late to that bunfight and has been trying to whip up other bullies like his little henchman in this thread. Not in my head, Cochblocked. Just calling it as I see it.

Mate, I just said I might have confused the Motlop brothers for one another. It is pretty easy to find trick shots of both Steven and Daniel, both on and especially off the field. Daniel had a very good trick shot compilation and Steven has put some out too.

My post wasn't confusing, it was just written with direct reference to the previous post. It says in plain English that I am talking about Geelong's trade of Steven Motlop that ultimately allowed them to make the Ablett trade. The first person who read it with the wrong impression realised his mistake on the second read through. Others didn't bother to correct their mistakes or admit that they'd been gooses. This is because they troll every post I make with their snide little remarks and they don't care if they are wrong or called out for it. One of them claims he has "stopped retaliating", yet his constant baiting is daily and has been for a number of weeks since he first quoted a comment I'd made 6 weeks prior. He was late to that bunfight and has been trying to whip up other bullies like his little henchman in this thread. Not in my head, Cochblocked. Just calling it as I see it.

Mate, I don't see whats going on as baiting. And all the personal remarks are coming from you. I have had a chat with him. But you are walking a fine line. The debating is fine. I have said it before, I welcome it. But if you get personal, im going to infract/ban you every time.

Goes for everyone on here. Personal attacks wont be tolerated.

I've had a break from Bigfooty for a bit over the off season and come back to the Suns board fiiled with negativity, what the hell happened? Lets get back to productively debating footy and supporting the team we all love. #dewforaflag Go Suns!

May signed on and we promptly lost every game from a position of potential top 8.

Anyone got a link to this?

He won’t be Lynchy to me anymore if it’s true....he will be Tom “it’s all about me me me” Lynch if he’s going to play this game.
It's just old mate Tom Browne with the #OldNews
Lynch's manager told everyone this was going to happen on trade radio back in October

If a Captain of a club can’t sign on now and knowing we’ll offer potentially 5yr/4-5mil then he’s already GONE!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a Captain of a club can’t sign on now and knowing we’ll offer potentially 5yr/4-5mil then he’s already GONE!!
If you go and buy a car - do you buy the first one you see ?
Suggest you'd look at several - take time to ensure that the one you get is the one you want.
It might be an expensive one with bells and whistles, It might be an average one that will get from A to B, It might be a rust-bucket because you don't give a toss.
But you will make the choice that is right for you - and in a timeframe that suits you.
Find nothing wrong with Tom's stance (which by the way was publicly known as far back as September).
Funny that it still make headlines... IN MELBOURNE !!!!

THE "COMPLICATED" ISSUE FACING LYNCH'S FREE AGENCY DECISION

SEN Breakfast newsman, and Herald Sun sports reporter Sam Edmund, has flagged a Tom Lynch personality trait that could impact his club of choice next year and beyond.

Lynch’s looming free agency is set to dominate headlines in 2018, with the 25-year-old giving no indication he will recommit to the Suns prior to hitting the open market.

Despite not indicating whether he wants to stay or leave, there is a critical personality trait that Lynch has, which could help Gold Coast’s cause, a club that has struggled to keep their players.

“It isn't like he will be leaving a club that has a history or culture of people staying,” Edmund said.

“Everyone there has gone. (Jaeger) O’Meara, (Dion) Prestia, (Harley) Bennell, and (Charlie) Dixon, for a variety of reasons.

“He (Lynch) is shy and polite, but extremely loyal, and this is where it gets complicated.

“He is a guy who always wants to do the right thing, he is very conscious of others, and how he is perceived.”

Lynch is the game’s most valuable asset available, with clubs such as Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood reportedly interested in acquiring Lynch’s services.

While accepting his loyalty, Edmund has wondered how the 2016 All-Australian could decline a move back home.

“The Suns are paying Lynch close to a million dollars as it stands,” he said.

“They're well placed to go north of that and match any rival offer. Coin isn't driving Tom Lynch’s decision.

“He is Victorian, he is 25, so his career is already half over. He has never played a final, he runs out in front of 10,000 people every week.

“How can you know back a lucrative offer from a big club, whether it be Richmond, Hawthorn or Collingwood, when they can offer you all that?

“If you don't take it, are you always going to wonder, why didn't I take it? There is no guarantee it will come back.

It has been reported the AFL will pay Lynch a sum of money to stay with the Suns as a marketing tool, as the team has struggled with crowd numbers and TV viewers.

Former Essendon captain Tim Watson believes it is imperative the Gold Coast and the league do everything in their power in an attempt to keep Lynch there.

“Surely the AFL will be prepared for Tom Lynch to stay at the Gold Coast,” he said.

“It is vital.”

SEN Breakfast newsman, and Herald Sun sports reporter Sam Edmund, has flagged a Tom Lynch personality trait that could impact his club of choice next year and beyond.

Lynch’s looming free agency is set to dominate headlines in 2018, with the 25-year-old giving no indication he will recommit to the Suns prior to hitting the open market.

Despite not indicating whether he wants to stay or leave, there is a critical personality trait that Lynch has, which could help Gold Coast’s cause, a club that has struggled to keep their players.

“It isn't like he will be leaving a club that has a history or culture of people staying,” Edmund said.

“Everyone there has gone. (Jaeger) O’Meara, (Dion) Prestia, (Harley) Bennell, and (Charlie) Dixon, for a variety of reasons.

“He (Lynch) is shy and polite, but extremely loyal, and this is where it gets complicated.

“He is a guy who always wants to do the right thing, he is very conscious of others, and how he is perceived.”

Lynch is the game’s most valuable asset available, with clubs such as Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood reportedly interested in acquiring Lynch’s services.

While accepting his loyalty, Edmund has wondered how the 2016 All-Australian could decline a move back home.

“They're well placed to go north of that and match any rival offer. Coin isn't driving Tom Lynch’s decision.

“He is Victorian, he is 25, so his career is already half over. He has never played a final, he runs out in front of 10,000 people every week.

“How can you know back a lucrative offer from a big club, whether it be Richmond, Hawthorn or Collingwood, when they can offer you all that?

“If you don't take it, are you always going to wonder, why didn't I take it? There is no guarantee it will come back.

It has been reported the AFL will pay Lynch a sum of money to stay with the Suns as a marketing tool, as the team has struggled with crowd numbers and TV viewers.

Former Essendon captain Tim Watson believes it is imperative the Gold Coast and the league do everything in their power in an attempt to keep Lynch there.

“Surely the AFL will be prepared for Tom Lynch to stay at the Gold Coast,” he said.

“It is vital.”
Poor article. Yes he could ask 'what if' if he stays but he could ask the same thing if he leaves. They are making this decision more complicated than it is. If Lynch thinks he'll find success at the Suns he'll stay that's it.

“It is vital.”

Just another Melbourne-centric viewpoint.....a good offer plus loyalty should always be enough to keep players like Lynch on the GC.

“Everyone has gone” is the statement and then names 4 guys

Dixon and Harley were moved on
Dions offer from Richmond was so high we declined to counter and O’Cockface is a self absorbed w***er with a utensil for a face. Laughable article

Who is Sam Edmund - no news breaker just some B grader offering his personal opinion on a sports radio station desperate to be relevant and have something to talk about prior to the footy season.

They make it sound like he has a character flaw - he's a good bloke, keeps to himself, loves his teammates and wants to show loyalty to the team that drafted him.

At the end of the day he can be the player who leads the GC to the promised land with the blokes he grew up with and establish a legacy in SE Qld sport (e.g. Jono Brown) or just some gun for hire down in Melbourne having his ego fellated every minute of the day while sipping lattes and buying Gucci jeans with O'Meara.

It looks to me like Lynch is looking for reasons to stay, rather than reasons to go. Money's not going to be a problem. If he can see the Suns improving under Dew's leadership, staying would also be an attractive option. Imagine being co-captain of a club's 1st ever AFL Premiership. How's that for a legacy?

I don't want to sound all doomsy and depressed but I doubt The Suns will win a premiership in May or Lynch's career window
But you know what- despite the "Amazing GWS" neither will they IMO
Look at Freo- decent supporter base, good players, well coached zilch
To get a medal Pavlich would have had to go to Hawthorn or Geelong- not be captain, less money
It is bloody hard to win that Cup
The decision for Lynch would be if another team had an odds on chance of a premiership and were offering the same deal
Those teams are often bursting at the seams salary cap wise
Prestia and Caddy got lucky.Richmond had it all fall their way as you have to- but I'm not sure even those guys thought they were being traded to a premiership team
It's complex alright but not in the way Melbourne journos see it

I don't want to sound all doomsy and depressed but I doubt The Suns will win a premiership in May or Lynch's career window
To get a medal Pavlich would have had to go to Hawthorn or Geelong- not be captain, less money
The decision for Lynch would be if another team had an odds on chance of a premiership and were offering the same deal
Prestia and Caddy got lucky.Richmond had it all fall their way as you have to- but I'm not sure even those guys thought they were being traded to a premiership team
Agree but then again look at Richmond and Bulldogs who would have picked them as Premiers.
I would suggest virtually nobody.

Last game of the 2016 Richmond where done by 120 pts , i'm pretty sure no one in there right mind would of thought 12 months time they would be premiers , anything can happen if things go your way.

“Everyone has gone” is the statement and then names 4 guys

Dixon and Harley were moved on
Dions offer from Richmond was so high we declined to counter and O’Cockface is a self absorbed ****** with a utensil for a face. Laughable article
Well said. You are a poet Mr Bigun. Just need to mention “the Little Weirdo” for added effect.

Surprised to see so many Suns supporters content with Lynch packing his bags. He has definitely been the club's second best player (behind Ablett obviously) and the chances of the club stumbling upon another key forward of Lynch's quality in the next 5-10 years seems unlikely IMO. Think about the forwards they've drafted that never made it. A guy like Daniel Gorringe was taken with a top 10 pick and look what happened. Then you have a guy like Sam Day who was taken with pick 3 but will probably never reach Lynch's standard.

I think you really have to appreciate a high-level key forward when you have one.
You make some really good points here but i think you may have a considerable amount of Bias towards Lynch

If i was to ask you would you think that Jack Riewoldt in the same way you would say no way and no chance he is as good as Lynch - But if you look at what they have done until the same age - They have been just about Identical with their out put but all supporters prefer their own players and understandable

Your point in finding another foward next 5-10 years, Jack Lukosius is a really special player and will most likely go at #1 with a more rounded foward game than most fowards selected in the last 10 years and well deserved and #2 Izak Rankine also another thats is a massive talent and both players showing they were clearly better than any player selected in 2017 - These 2 players are an amazing get if say Lynch decides to leave and GC have #1 & #2

From an outsider viewpoint i would say the GC are probably 3-4 years away from being a 'Genuine Flag' Contender and perhaps would be better in securing the future of players that are the 'next wave' like the weller's and wright's of the club and letting Lynch go whilst getting a good pick in a draft where there is a realistic chance of getting the perfect replacment.

But in saying that not sure how it would effect the moral and culture of your club ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back