News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

DE for inside mids is usually low....in particular for players with less than 40 games experience at AFL level.

Some posters are very harsh on Menegola...

Totally agree , amuses me how some expect him to play like a veteran even though he's only a few seasons into his AFL career.
Reality is he'll make mistakes as he gains experience like they all do . Upside is he's finding plenty of the footy and should stamp himself as best 22 this season IMO - one proviso is we play him predominantly as a mid resting forward rather than a forward with occasional bursts on the ball.

Totally agree , amuses me how some expect him to play like a veteran even though he's only a few seasons into his AFL career.
Reality is he'll make mistakes as he gains experience like they all do . Upside is he's finding plenty of the footy and should stamp himself as best 22 this season IMO - one proviso is we play him predominantly as a mid resting forward rather than a forward with occasional bursts on the ball.

Equal 2nd best tackler with PD, 5.9 a game, so not to bad.

And with Harry going down back does not mean that there is a spot for him.
But Buzz wants to do everything in his power to make sure that he is a good second man for Hawkins and that he would love to play along side of him.

He is working on his endurance so that he can stay in games longer rather than fading out of the game. He also says that he needs to work smarter as well as harder to stay in the game. The other areas that he admits that he needs to tidy up are marking the ball better, and kicking straighter to make more of his opportunities.

He also said that he needs to get rid of that ridiculous man bun.

*Disclaimer: Some statements made in this post are not factual.

Kick straighter? He’s probably the straightest set shot on the list.

Kick straighter? He’s (Buzza editing mine) probably the straightest set shot on the list.

I think that Duncan wins that award.
Buzza had the opportunity to kick three goals in one game last year (against the Giants at K'Park), but completely shanked two relatively easy shots. There are no problems with the penetration of his kicking, but I think that he needs to make the most of his goal scoring opportunities if he is serious about wanting to form a partnership with Hawkins as a KPF.

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly - King played in three GF wins (ie. consecutive games) - 2007 VFL GF, 2007, AFL GF then 2008 Pre season (StKilda). Presume a rare happening.

Arguably best ruck on AFL GF day 2007.

I thought Ottens was better. It was Walls 101. He mentioned briefly that he thought King might have been the best ruckman out there. Not long after he stated it like incontrovertible fact. It was his best game for a long time for Geelong though.

I thought Ottens was better. It was Walls 101. He mentioned briefly that he thought King might have been the best ruckman out there. Not long after he stated it like incontrovertible fact. It was his best game for a long time for Geelong though.

This is just an opinion but I agree. Ottens was a much better ruck.

I am on record (within family) of being disappointed with King's effort in a number of games I saw at K.P. . My main gripe was he never blew out- he left the ground on the final siren too composed. Always looked like he could go 2 more quarters when the final siren sounded.

I don't doubt his physical attributes or talents but I always thought he had too much in the tank at the end.

On the other hand later when Ottens played for us he had the same attributes and skills but went harder.

As I said just an observation / opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just an opinion but I agree. Ottens was a much better ruck.

I am on record (within family) of being disappointed with King's effort in a number of games I saw at K.P. . My main gripe was he never blew out- he left the ground on the final siren too composed. Always looked like he could go 2 more quarters when the final siren sounded.

I don't doubt his physical attributes or talents but I always thought he had too much in the tank at the end.

On the other hand later when Ottens played for us he had the same attributes and skills but went harder.

As I said just an observation / opinion.
How do you think King and Ottens will go this coming year?

Gaz still has it - just needs to remain injury free. Need our small forwards to stay on the field and have an impact - also need our backs to gel and become a fortress. Chris Scott also needs to fix our shitty zone that only works well at Skilled.

Gaz still has it - just needs to remain injury free. Need our small forwards to stay on the field and have an impact - also need our backs to gel and become a fortress. Chris Scott also needs to fix our shitty zone that only works well at Skilled.
And against Swans at the G late Sep 17?
Maybe the problem is getting on the front foot before the opposition does- if we do, we rarely get beaten.

And against Swans at the G late Sep 17?
Maybe the problem is getting on the front foot before the opposition does- if we do, we rarely get beaten.

It was pretty clear that Sydney were not at the level of the top teams during the finals. Although there was an endless exercise in making excuses for them, the reality was they just weren't as good as the year before. Nowhere near it.

It was pretty clear that Sydney were not at the level of the top teams during the finals. Although there was an endless exercise in making excuses for them, the reality was they just weren't as good as the year before. Nowhere near it.
They were 11 goal winners v Bombers the week before?!!
I think they were just mentally and physically fatigued when we got them. Every game leading to the finals was an Elimination final, after their deplorable start to the season. The fact they got there was remarkable enough.

They were 11 goal winners v Bombers the week before?!!
I think they were just mentally and physically fatigued when we got them. Every game leading to the finals was an Elimination final, after their deplorable start to the season. The fact they got there was remarkable enough.

Sure, that's a fair enough statement. But too often I read how they were unlucky because they'd lost their first six games. My thoughts are they shouldn't have lost their first six games then. They were good, but weren't just beaten by us, they were demolished. Considering how far behind Richmond and Adelaide we were that speaks pretty strongly about their true worth last season.

Sure, that's a fair enough statement. But too often I read how they were unlucky because they'd lost their first six games. My thoughts are they shouldn't have lost their first six games then. They were good, but weren't just beaten by us, they were demolished. Considering how far behind Richmond and Adelaide we were that speaks pretty strongly about their true worth last season.
I thought they seemed a bit cocky after the Essendon final and IMO thought beating us was just a formality.
Also they're a bit like us as in they can seem a lot better than they are because they play the SCG so well.

I'm not convinced that that's the case. Ultimately it was more or less all the away finalists that lost - by big margins. The exceptions to this were if you count Richmond as the away team vs us ( :rolleyes: ) and the actual exception of a not-great West Coast beating a not-great Port but then getting flogged when travelling to face the Giants.

I think that Duncan wins that award.
Buzza had the opportunity to kick three goals in one game last year (against the Giants at K'Park), but completely shanked two relatively easy shots. There are no problems with the penetration of his kicking, but I think that he needs to make the most of his goal scoring opportunities if he is serious about wanting to form a partnership with Hawkins as a KPF.

I think he is potentially a straight kick ... if and when he is acclimatised to the level to the point he can relax a bit his kicking will be better. May help leading left side as well.

I think he is potentially a straight kick ... if and when he is acclimatised to the level to the point he can relax a bit his kicking will be better. May help leading left side as well.
He will be like if we picked up Pods as a kid. Going to break packs and kick bags by his mid 20s.

Hi All

in Geelong next week and wanted to go and have a look at training. Any clues when and where ? Couldn't see anything on website but possibly not looking very well. Are they back at KP?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back