Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

100% success rate against every team in the comp accept Adelaide (66.66%).
Everybody knows Brisbane took their foot off the pedal in Round 7 when they basically had nothing to play for. Still, that match ended in a draw, to be fair to Carlton, so call it a 50% success rate against them I reckon.

Everybody knows Brisbane took their foot off the pedal in Round 7 when they basically had nothing to play for. Still, that match ended in a draw, to be fair to Carlton, so call it a 50% success rate against them I reckon.

There's a 90% chance you're right.

Players from Vic teams seem to have all the third party deals.

I'm sure they're able to look after their players a lot better than us.

Kaslar, Stanton, Zielke, Traub, Wuetschner, Anderson and Lutkins named in the AFLW team of the week.

Reading the reasoning here made it seem as though the author picked some of the players based on numbers, and perhaps didn't actually watch all the games. Lutkins (bench) was enormous and I still firmly believe Ashmore swung that game. But nonetheless great recognition for the girls, especially Stanton and Anderson.

Kaslar, Stanton, Zielke, Traub, Wuetschner, Anderson and Lutkins named in the AFLW team of the week.

Reading the reasoning here made it seem as though the author picked some of the players based on numbers, and perhaps didn't actually watch all the games. Lutkins (bench) was enormous and I still firmly believe Ashmore swung that game. But nonetheless great recognition for the girls, especially Stanton and Anderson.

I was slightly disappointed when I saw that. I was looking forward to being ignored in another article so I could complain about it.

Statement from Gil:
'McLachlan also said the AFL had a plan on how to tackle ground availability, with the rise in women's football participation creating difficulties for officiators, particularly in Victoria.

The AFL is expected to lean on the state government to help with the problem, with more than 80,000 women joining the game in the last year alone
.'

Would love to get more details on how that number is made up. Is that players, women involved?? Seems a staggering number

Jeez Ashmore is a gun. We had better not lose her to the expansion clubs.
She seems pretty committed, and the only clubs being forced to make concessions next year are Vic clubs. She would have to go willingly, and it doesn't look likely.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statement from Gil:
'McLachlan also said the AFL had a plan on how to tackle ground availability, with the rise in women's football participation creating difficulties for officiators, particularly in Victoria.

The AFL is expected to lean on the state government to help with the problem
, with more than 80,000 women joining the game in the last year alone
.'

Would love to get more details on how that number is made up. Is that players, women involved?? Seems a staggering number

Are they prepared to do that up here?

Who do we play on Brennan? Tough match up as she can play mid or forward
If forward Lutkins has the height to go with her, with Kaslar as the 2nd option.

In the midfield Zielke would be a good bet, but I'd like to see Ashmore run with her, that would be a fascinating battle.

As far as I understand it, IF she wanted to go, any Victorian club would have to trade for her at least.

The only club we can lose players to without compensation is the Gold Coast.
After watching blues v magpies are we ready for expansion clubs. Pretty ordinary standard.

After watching blues v magpies are we ready for expansion clubs. Pretty ordinary standard.
Didn't see that game but I feel they're rushing it. Consider what impact the expansion of two new teams had to the AFL, a long established professional league with a far greater spread of talent. They risk diluting what's there completely and alienating not only the current viewers but presenting an off-putting product to new viewers. Need to let it grow organically. Develop it at grassroots, give it a chance to flourish then consider expansion. Build the foundation. Don't rush it. 6 teams added within four years to a fledgling league with an already relatively small talent pool? Yikes. Hopefully it's a smooth transition but I feel like they're precipitating.

Didn't see that game but I feel they're rushing it. Consider what impact the expansion of two new teams had to the AFL, a long established professional league with a far greater spread of talent. They risk diluting what's there completely and alienating not only the current viewers but presenting an off-putting product to new viewers. Need to let it grow organically. Develop it at grassroots, give it a chance to flourish then consider expansion. Build the foundation. Don't rush it. 6 teams added within four years to a fledgling league with an already relatively small talent pool? Yikes. Hopefully it's a smooth transition but I feel like they're precipitating.
Too big too quick.
Its one of the most common reasons for builders to go under. Its happened all too often, seen it many a time.

There have been too many pages go by without Phillips being mentioned.

Fortunately, someone asked her about our celebration after the game, which had nothing to frigging to do with her:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/pr...k=ab09c202702133f2ae394fa5455df4d1-1517943619

AFLW best and fairest Erin Phillips has whacked the Lions’ orchestrated ‘shoosh’ celebration, after they defeated the Crows in the Grand Final rematch on Saturday night.
Without Phillips — who was a late withdrawal with a quad injury — Brisbane romped home to a two-goal victory at Norwood Oval.

The Lions celebrated with gusto, having lost last year’s inaugural Grand Final to Adelaide — their only defeat of the season.

Surrounded by photographers, the entire playing group placed their fingers to their lips in a provocative act of defiance.

And Phillips wasn’t a fan.

“If that’s what they want to do good on them. But, for us, it’s probably not something I’d get my teammates to do,” Phillips said on Women’s Footy on Fox.

However the star Crow said the Lions have every right to perform the celebration if it inspires them to victories.

“Every team has their own thing,” Phillips said.

“If that motivates them, good on them.

“For us, we move on, we learn from it. Probably they wanted to prove something, which they did.”

Despite being the two best teams in the competition in 2017, Adelaide and Brisbane have gone into 2018 as relative underdogs.

All AFLW captains were asked for their Grand Final predictions, but none of them- selected the Crows or the Lions.

While Brisbane’s cheeky celebration could have been in response to its Grand Final redemption, it also could have been directed at the rest of the competition.

“They’ve been written off, kind of just like we have been,” Phillips said.

“They haven’t been picked to finish in the top-two teams.”

Despite this, Phillips conceded the Lions were the superior team on the night, with their “endeavour” far greater than that of Bec Goddard’s premiership team.

“I hate to say it but I think their energy, their sense of urgency ... they were just better than us,” Phillip said.

“Whenever you write a team off they generally respond so that didn’t really surprise me from the Lions.

“They came out and wanted it more, which for me to say is really disappointing.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back