Player Watch 2. Dylan Grimes

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Amazing what consistency and continuity can do. Was always a gun in the making just couldn't stop pinging those strings.

Team first player. It's why GWS won't a win a flag because they don't have players like Grimes on their list. No fuss look at me type of s**t.

Should have traded him while at the peak of his value. Missed opportunity.

Absolutely!!! And look the value we could have gotten for Dusty, Jack and Rance. Club just doesn't focus on the long term :mad:. All those talls we could have drafted!! We'll never be a proper contender with the attitude that our players are good enough. Youngsters through the draft and you can never have too many talls - do you hear me, never too many talls!!!!!

:rolleyes:

:p

Great stuff, I'm hoping some of the more underrated guys start to earn some more recognition from the wider AFL community. Guys like Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin etc now that they are premiership players. Maybe if we can start a dynasty, it will go a long way to helping get these some recognition and being thrown up in AA discussions etc. :D

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Absolutely!!! And look the value we could have gotten for Dusty, Jack and Rance. Club just doesn't focus on the long term :mad:. All those talls we could have drafted!! We'll never be a proper contender with the attitude that our players are good enough. Youngsters through the draft and you can never have too many talls - do you hear me, never too many talls!!!!!

:rolleyes:

:p
100% correct , He is only a 3rd tall as he is only 193cm tall and less than 100kgs
This team will never get anywhere and will never learn

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Leave Grimes alone...terrific competitor! :mad:
thn3q83e1lwb.gif
:mad:

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond defender Dylan Grimes looks to Sydney’s Dane Rampe in a bid to improve offensive game

RICHMOND defender Dylan Grimes is taking inspiration from a Sydney counterpart as he looks to ramp up the offensive side of his game this year. Confident he has shaken an injury curse after playing every game in a career-best 2017, the 26-year-old is now setting his sights on contributing more to the Tigers’ rebound from halfback.

Grimes said he admired the way Sydney defender Dane Rampe went about his footy and was hoping to add elements to his own game.
“He’s got a really good balance between offence and defence,” Grimes said of Rampe.

“I base my game around by defence and my contest work and as long as I’m sound in those two areas that’s when I try and go (off my man) a little bit more. That’s probably the biggest scope for my improvement I think, investing a bit more into my offensive game to be able to contribute a bit more to the running players like Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Jayden Short, Nathan Broad, those sort of players that really give us a lot of drive out of defence.”

In a dark past ravaged by hamstring and foot injuries, Grimes feared more than once that his body was simply not up to the rigours of AFL football after playing just 79 games across his first seven years. But a full pre-season last year was the springboard for a season which gave him confidence not only in his body but also his ability at the top level.

Spending most of the season as a third tall defender alongside
Alex Ranceand David Astbury, Grimes recorded the sixth-best defensive rating of any general defender in the competition.

Often playing against smaller opponents, Champion Data statistics show he won 43 per cent of one-on-one contests he defended which also ranked as the sixth best percentage of the top-100 players to defend a contest.

“There were certainly stages of my career where I’d had double hamstring surgeries and struggled with a broken foot and stress fractures and that sort of thing that I really doubted my ability to perform and almost my ability in my body to stay as an AFL player,” Grimes said.

“It’s been a huge confidence lifter for me to finish a couple of pre-seasons in really good physical form and then be able to put that into the season and play every game last year was huge tick on my goals list and something I’ll be trying to do again this year for sure.”

In the space of six months, Grimes has become a premiership player and Richmond life member and this week inked a three-year contract extension ending in 2021 which effectively makes him a Tiger for life.

Like his teammates, he is hungry for more success though and believes Richmond is ready for the different dynamic this year of being the hunted rather than the hunter.

“It’s funny you say the word ‘hunt’,” Grimes said.

“The way that we play, we hunt the ball on offence and then we hunt the man on defence. If we’re doing those two things we don’t really worry about the results and what the crowd or the media or anything are saying about us and I think last year we got really good at focusing on what we can control and we’ll certainly be looking to do that as we go forward.

“We based our game last year off our defence and our pressure and we’re pretty keen to take that to another level this year.

“I think that’s probably what’s most exciting about our club at the moment, that although we had some success in the past the scope for improvement with a really young list is really exciting.”

Obviously the HUN reading our board for article ideas!

Good to see Grimes get a special mention though from the media. Given the injuries he (and Astbury is in the same boat) suffered early, he's done so well to carve out the career he has today. Credit to him and long may it last!

How this thread is so far down the queue is an absolute travesty.
I never want this bloke to retire, he is so important to our backline, no, he is so important to this team.
I’m not sure if we will ever find another Dylan Grimes, this is one guy I’d keep in the team until he is no longer physically able to walk out for the Richmond Football Club.

Dusty will always be my all time favourite, Corey Ellis is my favourite up and comer but Dylan Grimes will always be the heart of the Richmond Football Club to me.

Absolute, undisputed gun. There’s not enough superlatives to describe this man.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
He is part of the best backline we've had for decades
Rance, Grimes, Vlastuin are jets while Astbury has improved out of sight. Houli has been amazing of late and now Short is showing flair and excitement. With Broad still to come in, we bat deep too. Garthwaite is also waiting in the wings and now Balta is at the club. Amazing

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
He is part of the best backline we've had for decades
Rance, Grimes, Vlastuin are jets while Astbury has improved out of sight. Houli has been amazing of late and now Short is showing flair and excitement. With Broad still to come in, we bat deep too. Garthwaite is also waiting in the wings and now Balta is at the club. Amazing
We have the next generation of Rance / Astbury / Grimes in the VFL with Balta / Garth / Miller.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
How this thread is so far down the queue is an absolute travesty.
I never want this bloke to retire, he is so important to our backline, no, he is so important to this team.
I’m not sure if we will ever find another Dylan Grimes, this is one guy I’d keep in the team until he is no longer physically able to walk out for the Richmond Football Club.

Dusty will always be my all time favourite, Corey Ellis is my favourite up and comer but Dylan Grimes will always be the heart of the Richmond Football Club to me.

Absolute, undisputed gun. There’s not enough superlatives to describe this man.

Explains much.

Back