Politicians having affairs- does it change your vote?

Inspired by Barnaby's playing the field where he has left his wife for a staffer (and since got her pregnant). Im interested by the SRP's views as there has been significant coverage of affairs through Australian political history (Hawke, Kernot etc).

My question for the SRP is if a candidate was to engage in a affair during their stay in office, would it convince you to vote for them or not change your vote at all.

Thoughts?

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Greens MP Adele Carles having a relationship with a conservative Liberal politician changed the votes of many Freo residents.

Sounds like a story the #metoo people should get on to. Disgraceful.

My cynical world view- she was shuffled when it started getting noticeable to people from N.England that they were getting too close.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
In general, no, but I reject the idea that this is just a 'personal matter'. He was preaching traditional marriage while seeking to prevent marriage rights to other members of our community, and was banging a subordinate being paid for by the taxpayer. That Labor are so desperate to leave it alone, suggests it's hardly uncommon.

Last edited:

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
In general, no, but I reject the idea that this is just a 'personal matter'. He was preaching traditional marriage while seeking to prevent marriage rights to other members of our community, and was banging a subordinate being paid for by the taxpayer. That Labor are so desperate to leave it alone, suggests ut's hardly uncommon.
I read something on Reddit today which said something very similar has happened with an ALP member recently.

So, I guess it's not that uncommon. Cheaters gon cheat regardless of any political spectrum.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
only reason why Joyce having an affair/leaving his wife should have even a modicum of an effect on his parliamentary career is, as already mentioned, he has run for office on 'family values' bullshit and was openly trying to save the 'sanctity of marriage' by trying to stop gay couples from getting married

otherwise it's of no one's concern short of those directly involved

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disgraceful antics from the left.

Labor
Bill Shorten - had an extra-marital affair with cute blonde Chloe Bryce 10 years ago - and got Ms Bryce pregnant while both were still married.

Tony Burke - had an affair with office staffer Skye Laris while married to Cathy Bresnan with kids.

Bob Hawke - had an affair with Blanch d’Alpuget while married to Hazel - while he was PM.

Greens
Nick McKim - had an affair with married staffer Cassy O’Connor while her husband artist was at home keeping the home fires burning and raising their 4 kids. McKim’s affair ended up breaking up the young family.

There are lot of shout-outs that Barnaby Joyce should resign.

https://www.facebook.com/paulzanetticartoonist/

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast

Labor
Bill Shorten - had an extra-marital affair with cute blonde Chloe Bryce 10 years ago - and got Ms Bryce pregnant while both were still married.

Tony Burke - had an affair with office staffer Skye Laris while married to Cathy Bresnan with kids.

Bob Hawke - had an affair with Blanch d’Alpuget while married to Hazel - while he was PM.

Greens
Nick McKim - had an affair with married staffer Cassy O’Connor while her husband artist was at home keeping the home fires burning and raising their 4 kids. McKim’s affair ended up breaking up the young family.

Didn't know about the Bilbo thing but here according to newscorp from 10 years ago:

'The now Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities left his wife, Ms Beale, for the daughter of Kevin Rudd's newly appointed Governor-General, Quentin Bryce, around August last year.

Ms Beale is the daughter of wealthy Melbourne investor and former Liberal frontbencher Julian Beale.

Through her family connections, she was widely seen as assisting Mr Shorten's acceptance by business - an acceptance widely likened to that given another former Melbourne union leader, Bob Hawke.'

Sounds like that's what Malcolm was slyly referring to when he said that Bill keeps aspiring to reach higher societal classes - Bill moved onto the next woman who might help his career.

Anyone with a bit of power becomes creepy far too easily.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC

Labor

Greens

far out you are pathetic

Reckon there are a lot of them worried about it coming out
Long hours, time away from home, close working relationships that involve travel

Pollies can keep that private when they don't worry about what everyone else does at home and campaign on platforms like family values and sanctity of marriage

When they don't wheel their family out as proof of why you should vote for them

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Yes and no. I wouldn't vote for any "traditional family values" politician in the first place, that is just red flag stuff that screams out don't vote for them.

For the rest I guess it depends a bit who they are cheating with. The Buswell/Carles thing would make me less likely to vote for either of them. They are opposites politically and I couldn't see it working out. Smacks of bad judgment, even though it is a private matter.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In general, no, but I reject the idea that this is just a 'personal matter'. He was preaching traditional marriage while seeking to prevent marriage rights to other members of our community, and was banging a subordinate being paid for by the taxpayer. That Labor are so desperate to leave it alone, suggests it's hardly uncommon.

What preaching was he doing? Was he fighting for the right to have 2 wives while at the same time against SSM?

I think Cheryl Kernot was my favourite.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
What preaching was he doing? Was he fighting for the right to have 2 wives while at the same time against SSM?

I think Cheryl Kernot was my favourite.
He was preaching for traditional marriage values like a good Christian boy. Don't think he read the 10 commandments well then..

Back