Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching the brief highlights from training the other day I think we can see what the benefit of Gaz will be.
Not only does he win his own ball, he creates space for players like Duncan.
So to answer the question yes he does make us a Premiership threat but will he stay fit long enough to be a credible threat? That is the $64,000 question.
The number one asset ablett still provides is his accurate passing which lack of killed us in the prelim. We should give him the role stokes had in his last years as the player who sets things up from the middle.

ScarlosToe

Rookie
Nov 1, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes. Given teams (generally) only run with one tagger, Ablett in means two of himself, Danger and Selwood will be free to run amok (plus Duncan) of our starting mids. We all know how dangerous they can be when allowed to run free. Scary thought for other teams.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Q2. HOW MUCH WILL THE RETIREMENT OF LONG TIME DEFENDERS DOMS/MACKIE HURT US?
As much as I loved both those players it will actually help.
I think people will be surprised at how much better we play with a more reasonably balanced backline. Particularly at the G.
Ever since we got Rivers we've been too tall.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I think a lot of this will actually hinge on how Hendo recovers from his off-season knee troubles. If we can roll out our ideal back 6 then we'll be in good stead, but if we have to cover the loss of another tall then we have to hope that a Gardner or House or someone is ready to pitch in.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
As much as I loved both those players it will actually help.
I think people will be surprised at how much better we play with a more reasonably balanced backline. Particularly at the G.
Ever since we got Rivers we've been too tall.

Even before that.

Since the start of 2007, the line up in the backline has been three tall defenders + Mackie. Starting with Scarlett/Egan/Harley, through to Scarlett/Taylor/Lonergan, all the way to last year with Lonergan/Taylor/Henderson. They obviously like that combination a lot.

I think Lonergan may leave a bit of a hole, as he was still our best negating key defender.

Gorillas will kick more goals against us post-Dons but our better ball movement will outweigh that effect.

Not convinced we have the player to replace Mackie yet. Thurlow is the most likely but he’s not a quarter of the player Mackie was yet.

It'll improve our structure.

We were too tall and cumbersome against the most nimble of forward lines and these retirements will enable us to add a bit more run whilst only playing 2 key defenders.

It also allows Taylor to play in his rightful position down back.

To answer the question ... minimal if at all.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Even before that.

Since the start of 2007, the line up in the backline has been three tall defenders + Mackie. Starting with Scarlett/Egan/Harley, through to Scarlett/Taylor/Lonergan, all the way to last year with Lonergan/Taylor/Henderson. They obviously like that combination a lot.

I think Lonergan may leave a bit of a hole, as he was still our best negating key defender.
True but Scarlett was a lot different to your average tall defender though. Provided more dash than your average HBflanker.
Unbelievable defender.
Last year at times we had Hendo, Taylor, Lonners, Kolo, Mackie & Stewart.
That's quite a tall backline.

True but Scarlett was a lot different to your average tall defender though. Provided more dash than your average HBflanker.
Unbelievable defender.
Last year at times we had Hendo, Taylor, Lonners, Kolo, Mackie & Stewart.
That's quite a tall backline.
Also, forward structures have changed. We've seen this the last 2 years with the both the Bulldogs and Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than probably expected.

Domsy could take a bloke out of the game - and we dont have that anymore -and while CD, Supercoach list him low on the list, his abilities defending are not measured well IMO and as such, there will be more times than not I feel ill be watching thinking " Domsy would have killed that"

As for Mack - it will be different. His drive and attack from HB might be replaced ok in 2E, thurls et al - but he played big and small a bunch so that flexibility in player rotations could be noticed.

And experience. That just takes time to replace. Not saying that Gardner, Thurls et al wont be any good and I dont want them out there - I do and I want games into them -but Domsy and Mack will still be missed.

Go Catters

Gorillas will kick more goals against us post-Dons but our better ball movement will outweigh that effect.

Not convinced we have the player to replace Mackie yet. Thurlow is the most likely but he’s not a quarter of the player Mackie was yet.
FWIW... this point has been missed by most I reckon. I agree 100% :thumbsu:

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Fantastic players and pretty much the last of the core that was our halcyon era. Will miss their experience , skills and camaraderie no doubt.
However as others have noted this will allow a more versatile and quicker backline and increase our ability to move the ball at pace - from the training footage looks like we're aiming at quick movement and playing on a lot more than 2017. Benefits of this should outweigh perhaps a slight nett loss of defensive ability with these two departing.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Less than it would have a couple of years ago. The power gorilla forward is rare thing and Mackie at times was brilliant but others less so. Im happy to give time to another new face to replace Lonergan and Mackie spot will be taken filled and covered

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
We have retired better players and moved on, the system is greater than the individual. Mackie wasn't the player he had been at his peak. Guthrie going back and a shuffling on roles covers him. Taylor back covers for Lonergan. With hindsight we shouldn't have brought back Lonergan for the preliminary final. A dominant midfield will protect our defense anyway. Our defense is stacked with quality users of the ball.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

Only if our forwards don't press so far up the ground,leaving the backs on a quick break with no options in front of them to go to and having to hold on to the pill go side ways and back to give time for the forwards to get forward again.

Will make our ball movement a lot better for mine. Good coaches used to allow Longergan to be isolated which would slow our rebound game. I do think however Mackie will be a bigger loss than people realise though.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi All,

With the excitement (lol) that is AFLX only 10 days away (including today) I thought it would be good to do a burning questions type thing, 1 question a day until game day. Basically I ask a question, for that day we discuss that question alone and move on the next day. I will also link every days question back to here so at the end you can just click through and find where the question and responses it got are...
Clear as mud? Good

Q1. Does the return of Gaz instantly make us a credible threat for the premiership?
Not solely Gaz arriving but if fogarty cocky and linc can tackle and pressure up forward and kelly be a force, the team will be vastly improved for pressure and skill. Gaz will make the midfield a force though and allow pfd senior to parade his goalkicking skills. Letts sel danger

Back