News 2018 Pre-season, huff, puff, houses-trained-down and NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

They were 11 goal winners v Bombers the week before?!!
I think they were just mentally and physically fatigued when we got them. Every game leading to the finals was an Elimination final, after their deplorable start to the season. The fact they got there was remarkable enough.
I think the fact that they struggle at the MCG as much as anyone helped our case.... and after the s**t show of the year before we perhaps they just thought we would roll over

Hi All

in Geelong next week and wanted to go and have a look at training. Any clues when and where ? Couldn't see anything on website but possibly not looking very well. Are they back at KP?
Where are you flying in from?

He will be like if we picked up Pods as a kid. Going to break packs and kick bags by his mid 20s.
Will never mark like Pods. But I do like his agression.

I thought they seemed a bit cocky after the Essendon final and IMO thought beating us was just a formality.
Also they're a bit like us as in they can seem a lot better than they are because they play the SCG so well.

Certainly got that opinion based on Buddy's interview after the game. While he was saying "They're a good side and we need to respect them etc, etc", his body language said everything but.

Look out for our Chief Executive, Brian Cook, 11.30am at 95 Malop Street Geelong tomorrow who will be selling The Big Issue alongside street vendor, Darren. Every magazine sale helps a homeless or disadvantaged person who is #ProudlyWorking #VendorWeek #CEOSelling

27750547_1899335263429607_6556453704685602555_n.png

So I noticed there was a short interview with Jackson Thurlow on the club website regarding AFLX. I think it's a pretty natural reaction that my first thought was that he would be one of the guys in our squad.

However I'd just like to isolate a quote
I'm excited to see Nakia Cockatoo running down the wing and kicking goals and hopefully someone like Rhys Stanley sits on peoples shoulders

You don't think they could... could they?

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2018-02-07/jackson-thurlow-on-aflx

The club may want to see how this new program for Nakia is going.
As much as the club would try, they won't replicate the true nature of competition at training. Getting him playing some form of football at the earliest possible time may be the best option for him.

If the worst happens and he pings another hammy, at least they have more time to set out a new rehab plan or change his running style.

If the whole "rebuild" of Cockatoo hasn't worked, I'd rather know in the AFLX as opposed to round 1.

The club may want to see how this new program for Nakia is going.
As much as the club would try, they won't replicate the true nature of competition at training. Getting him playing some form of football at the earliest possible time may be the best option for him.

If the worst happens and he pings another hammy, at least they have more time to set out a new rehab plan or change his running style.

If the whole "rebuild" of Cockatoo hasn't worked, I'd rather know in the AFLX as opposed to round 1.

Agree. The old “let’s not play injury prone blokes in the preseason” is simplistic and outdated.

Very interesting to see two different takes on it... ultimately though my concern is more just that I would regard Cocky as a very high value player, the kind of player that I wouldn't expect to see played in something like AFLX.

I wonder if it will actually be less risky than a JLT match because of the relatively short timeframe and potentially only needing to play one game? On the one hand if he breaks down playing AFLX the backlash will be palpable. On the other hand it may be an inspired choice and he has the mix of speed, explosiveness and footy ability that could really X-cel in the AFLX.

If Cocky pings a hammy playing this s**t i'll crack the shits big time
He could easily ping a hammy in the first JLT or Round 1 or even training.
Reportedly on a different program now so we shouldn't imo be too cautious with testing him out, we nee to find out if this modified program is working or not.

Agree. The old “let’s not play injury prone blokes in the preseason” is simplistic and outdated.
I'm more than happy to play him in preseason and to build him up.
I'm not thrilled if he plays a game that is experimental, and will not resemble what we are actually training and building him up for.

He probably is the perfect prototype for the game, but his history suggests they would be better not playing him in 20 min stop start max speed sprint game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Tbh that’s an easy hit up kick.
Yeah it is, but still outside of Duncan it's one that most of our players fail to execute still... just ask Tommy how many he has on his head or at his ankles

Tbh that’s an easy hit up kick.

That's true, the kick itself was easy. But having the vision to identify the leading target in the first place, rather than mindlessly bombing it long, is something we've been sorely lacking of late.

Or maybe I'm just a bit delirious from a lack of footy, and getting excited over anything. Hurry the * up round 1!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back