Comeback player of the year 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
One of my favourite awards that exists in other sports (most notably to me the NFL) is Comeback Player of the year that recognises a player who has overcome adversity (generally) injury to return to success.

Given the prevalence of major injuries and other adversities in the AFL I thought it would make a good topic on here to predict who could win if it was an AFL award.

Criteria is deliberately vague but in general I've tried to cap it at players who played less that 11 games.

Adelaide: Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Curtly Hampton?
Brisbane: Allen Christensen, Mitch Robinson, Tom Bell?
Carlton: Sam Rowe, Matthew Lobbe?
Collingwood: Daniel Wells, Chris Mayne!
Essendon: ????
Fremantle: Harley Bennell, Hayden Ballantyne, Brandon Matera, Aaron Sandilands?
Geelong: Stewie Crameri, Linc McCarthy, Corey Gregson?
Gold Coast: Sam Day, Rory Thompson, Michael Rischitelli
GWS: Stephen Coniglio, Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen
Hawthorn: Cyril Rioli, Jaeger O'Meara, Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, James Frawley,
Melbourne: Jesse Hogan, Angus Brayshaw?, 13 games does Gawn qualify?
North: Jarrod Waite!, Ben Jacobs, Sam Wright
Port: Lindsay Thomas? Jack Trengove?
Richmond: Sean Hampson, Reece Conca
St Kilda: David Armitage, Tom Hickey? Paddy McCartin?
Sydney: Alex Johnson?
Western Bulldogs: Mitch Wallis, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson, Dale Morris, Lin Jong
West Coast: Nic Nat, Scott Lycett

Tried to leave out young players who could've/would've played some good footy now if they weren't injured. That's because it's not a comeback if you weren't ever at the top of your game. There's a few in there like Brayshaw and McCartin.

Nic Nat and Cyril are the two biggest names of the list. Not sure they've had great summers though. Stephen Coniglio would be my favourite. Super player who missed a lot of last year. Really keen to see if Allen Christensen can get back and be a player as well.

Who did I miss? Who is your tip for comeback player of the year?

Hampson's back is stuffed and he's inferior to Nankervis in just about every way. Conca is injury prone and has been on the fringes of the 22 for a while, might get a look in eventually.

Naitanui's probably the obvious choice, but the list should also include players who have been down on form and might make a career recovery. A player like Miles for instance.

Hawthorn fans all seem to think it will be Jaeger O'Meara - cos he 'looks good' on the training track, etc.

Question though, does comeback player of the year refer (say in the NFL) to which comeback player has been the best or which player has overcome the most adversity to return?

I.e. if Alex Johnson comes back and is OK or Stephen Coniglio returns and plays at his usual elite level, who gets it?

Combination of both seems right to me.

My nomination for 2017 (if adversity is included) is Jarryd Roughead. Returned from a second bout of (very serious) cancer, after more than a year out and questions asked whether he would ever play again to captain the club, play every game and lead the club's goal kicking. He also worked pretty hard IMO - just looked up and he did lay more tackles than any other key forward.

I have my fingers crossed on Ben Jacobs.
Sam Wright for me, his 2015 stats, alongside his disposal efficiency, intercepting capabilities, versatility and capacity to kick with both feet, would make North's backline a lot stronger and massively improve its capacity to rebound effectively.

Jacobs is important too via his tagging, however, he would need to improve his numbers or add a few more clearances to his game if North are to play Ziebell more forward.

Waite, at his best, one of the best KPF's in the game, at his worst or injured, just really, really bad. It is probably his last year, so good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn fans all seem to think it will be Jaeger O'Meara - cos he 'looks good' on the training track, etc.
He’s been better than just looking good, though.

He’s been a standout on the track and in match simulation alongside Mitchell.

If AJ gets another senior gig it'll be huge. He may get a game over the next year or two but I have doubts on whether he will ever fulfill his early pre-injury promise. No-one could say he hasn't given it everything or that the Swans haven't been behind him 100% but how bitter-sweet if he were to retire with a premiership medal and years of disappointment and frustration.

He’s been better than just looking good, though.

He’s been a standout on the track and in match simulation alongside Mitchell.

I know mate - I love reading every training report from Axe and the like and hold as high hopes as anyone.

Just remaining a little reserved when it comes to training reports in Jan/Feb when I post in an all club forum. Every supporter reckons their players are training the house down and their youngsters will kick on and be great (we are a particularly positive bunch on the Hawthorn board - probably for good reason ;)). Been excited about so many players at this time of the year in the past but often it amounts to little - particularly if they are dominating against other players on your team!

Basically, I don't think other supporters will hold supporter training reports at this time of the year in that high regard.

I'm quietly confident though with the combination of the signs he showed last year, how he played in Round 23 and how his preseason has looked thus far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back