Bugg v Stretch - who will play more games in 2018?

Place your bets.

• Bugg

• Stretch

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
The Pest

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-01-17/bugg-flies-past-first-in-timetrial

Tom Bugg took out the Demons' post-Christmas 2km time trial, beating Tom McDonald and Alex Neal-Bullen over the line.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-02-02/leadership-to-the-max

Meanwhile, the pre-season continues to showcase players who have progressed over summer.

Despite several players impressing Gawn, one in particular caught his eye.

“Tom Bugg has probably had the standout pre-season for mine,” he said.

The 24-year-old is coming back with a point to prove, after missing six matches in the latter part of the season due to suspension.

Having played 28 games with Melbourne since arriving at the end of 2015 – he played 65 matches for GWS – Bugg will be looking to add to his tally in 2018.

And the forward’s victory in last month’s two-km time-trial was a good sign for Gawn.

“Tom McDonald hasn’t been beaten in the two-km run for nine years, so that’s a good example of someone working hard over the break,” he said.

The Kid

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-01-30/stretch-stands-out-in-first-main-session

At the end of training the leadership group met and determined Stretch as the 'best on track', with experienced leader Tom McDonald agreeing the midfielder, who was in and out of the senior side last year, was the standout.

"Billy isn't one of those guys that gets noticed too much for doing eye-catching or flashy stuff, but today he really stood out going forward and he kicked a couple of goals off intercepts," McDonald said.

Two fringe players putting a stamp on the pre-season. Who is your bet for more games in 2018?

Big year for both of them really, I've always rated Stretch but its now time for him to become a consistent AFL player or he might forever be a 30-40 game battler. Bugg is limited but can be a pretty solid role player, if he can fix his goalkicking could surprise us with a 30 goal season.

Interesting question. Both of these players have the potential to play more games than they did last year (Stretch 9 games & Bugg 10 games). But, if I had to choose who will play more games, I'll go with Stretch. Both can be solid contributors for us this year.

From training reports it sounds like Stretch is smashing it. I hope Stretch plays more. Bugg still needs to atone for his stuff ups somewhat.
I reckon he's atoned enough for his deed.

It's the manner in which he handled himself in the wake of that incident that is most remarkable, as it was an impressive reflection on the character of the man.

If training reports are anything to go by, we could see Bugg, Stretch and ANB make a significant contribution this year.

Bugg will get the nod more often for his aggressive style of play and ability to hit the scoreboard I think.

I hope Billy makes it, I think he needs to find the footy more this year.

ANB has become a much better version of what we wanted stretch to be, however there's space for more than 1 link player. Bugg we really don't need, Hannan is a better version and Harmes also plays the role with Fristch another option. Buggs last hope may be as a tagger because without Vince we don't have one.

ANB has become a much better version of what we wanted stretch to be, however there's space for more than 1 link player. Bugg we really don't need, Hannan is a better version and Harmes also plays the role with Fristch another option. Buggs last hope may be as a tagger because without Vince we don't have one.
I don't agree that Hannan is a better player than Bugg. I think they are different players. Hannan more opportunistic around goals, while Bugg can play a very effective shut down role in our F50 and run all day. I think both can play in the same team, but in today's game where defensive pressure is hugely important, Bugg for me is more important than Hannan. Plus, if Bugg could kick straight, and didn't punch anyone he would have also had a decent enough amount of goals similar to Hannan last season. Bugg is important to this side..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a “who cares” result I feel, in terms of impact on our season. Went with Bugg because I’ve lost faith in Stretch :(
I want both to be best 22 tbh. But both have to improve though. I feel Stretch and ANB are the types of players that in the past haven't made it. Like Tapscott, Blease and Strauss. To be finals contenders we needed these fringe players with talent to keep improving. I feel we have a much better system in place now where players like ANB, OMac and Stretch have much more chance of making an impact at AFL level which will see us finally be finals contenders. ANB and OMac have improved greatly, and I think Stretch will too this year. I think he'll take Vince's spot in the best 22 by mid season..

I don't agree that Hannan is a better player than Bugg. I think they are different players. Hannan more opportunistic around goals, while Bugg can play a very effective shut down role in our F50 and run all day. I think both can play in the same team, but in today's game where defensive pressure is hugely important, Bugg for me is more important than Hannan. Plus, if Bugg could kick straight, and didn't punch anyone he would have also had a decent enough amount of goals similar to Hannan last season. Bugg is important to this side..

Can't say I agree with you either lol, Hannan is a better forward an also a much better player up the ground. If you ask me who plays round 1 I'd pick Hannan well before bugg. Buggs great depth to have but he should only be playing if there are injuries

Spot on. With the ever increasing importance of F50 defense, Bugg at his best is a valuable asset and for me would be preferred over Hannan.

The whole “if he could kick straight” is a bit “if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle”, but a lot of it is upstairs and surely fixable.

Spot on. With the ever increasing importance of F50 defense, Bugg at his best is a valuable asset and for me would be preferred over Hannan.

The whole “if he could kick straight” is a bit “if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle”, but a lot of it is upstairs and surely fixable.

Where's this idea that bugg is a gun at forward pressure? Both Hannan and Harmes provide it equally

Where's this idea that bugg is a gun at forward pressure? Both Hannan and Harmes provide it equally
In 2016 when Bugg was up and firing he was averaging 4.7 tackles per game. 4th best in the side.

He’s also just won the 2km time trial.

So he can run all day and is a proficient tackler.

In 2016 when Bugg was up and firing he was averaging 4.7 tackles per game. 4th best in the side.

He’s also just won the 2km time trial.

So he can run all day and is a proficient tackler.

He wasn't playing forward in 2016 though he was playing as a tagger and a defender. I'm not saying hes bad at it but I wouldn't say he's much better than either Hannan or Harmes

He wasn't playing forward in 2016 though he was playing as a tagger and a defender. I'm not saying hes bad at it but I wouldn't say he's much better than either Hannan or Harmes
Sure, although he didn’t play that role throughout the entire year. He kicked 7 goals so he got forward at different stages.

Statistics aside I’d prefer Bugg for that role based on the eye test. He’s a busy player inside forward 50 who creates opportunities. He just needs to start converting them again.

Sure, although he didn’t play that role throughout the entire year. He kicked 7 goals so he got forward at different stages.

Statistics aside I’d prefer Bugg for that role based on the eye test. He’s a busy player inside forward 50 who creates opportunities. He just needs to start converting them again.

Fair enough. Prefer the other 2 me self but the fact it's even a debate is good for our depth. I think it's close to gone now but if Kent can get a new back then we would have even more depth in the role.

I'll go Billy. He is a good player who works undeniably hard, and if he cracks the side he has the better chance of staying in it for the rest of the season due to his pace and outside skill. And it is about time he cracks the team IMO, 2016 he was starting to cement himself, 2017 under Goody was a transition year yet he still had some good performances. Now he knows what Goody demands I think he will be in the side. Still think there is a spot in our best 22 for him, whilst we have 3-4 medium forwards right now with ANB, Milkshakes, Harmesy and Hannan in our current best 22, we don't have someone who is very good outside. Hopefully Trac Gus Clary continue to improve their outside game but Billy has the most natural outside game of anyone on our list IMO

Buggy to play around 12 IMO, Stretch to play 18 or so

Back