Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Q3. WHO IS IN THE MOST TROUBLE ON OUR LIST, MEANING WHO IS STRUGGLING, WHO MAY SEE THEMSELVES OUT AS THE YEAR GOES ON?

Presuming you don't just mean due to age (and veterans only get dropped very rarely if at all at Geelong), I'd say any of Stanley, Taylor, McCarthy, Murdoch, and Thurlow could be viable candidates. Menzel and Scott Selwood perhaps if further injuries were to occur.

Q3. WHO IS IN THE MOST TROUBLE ON OUR LIST, MEANING WHO IS STRUGGLING, WHO MAY SEE THEMSELVES OUT AS THE YEAR GOES ON?
I think the single person most likely to be given the boot is Hayball and I don't think that's surprising.

Horlin-Smith, Stanley, McCarthy, Hayball, Gardner, Murdoch, Black, House, Cunico, Abbott, Crameri.

Excluding rookies, all these guys could be delisted come the end of 2018. I think we'll have no retirements this year too.

Unless something very unexpected happens, Horlin-Smith, Black and Hayball look like an absolute lock to go.

Gardner :simply must break into the side for a few games this year.
Murdoch :becoming valuable as a hard body,SS late start to the season gives him a chance but has to become consistent.
Gregson one more major set back may be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Cam Guthrie :f--k me chocolates to boiled lollies,he has work to do.
Thurlow :second year after an ACL so expect more from him this year under the pump just a little.
Menzel :how many goals makes him safe,40 last year should have been enough you'd have thought but he just hung on.
Blicavs out of contract this year,so to is Stanley they may fight it out for a spot on the list for next season.

Last edited:
Gorillas will kick more goals against us post-Dons but our better ball movement will outweigh that effect.

Not convinced we have the player to replace Mackie yet. Thurlow is the most likely but he’s not a quarter of the player Mackie was yet.

It's a good thing that at the moment small forwards are the new black which may negate the loss of Lonners.

Presuming you don't just mean due to age (and veterans only get dropped very rarely if at all at Geelong), I'd say any of Stanley, Taylor, McCarthy, Murdoch, and Thurlow could be viable candidates. Menzel and Scott Selwood perhaps if further injuries were to occur.
Taylor just signed a new 2 year contract didn’t he? Or was it 3 years.

GHS seems an old fashioned guys who is happy to be a great club man .. but does the club just keep him around? May depend on the is year in the VFL , if Gore shows him up he will be under pressure ... Stanley on the other hand ... I do not think he will be happy playing VFL , and as it stands I struggle to see a spot for him without injuries. Up forward , one little guys may feel he has limited chances with GA here for at least two years but if he plays well it may be longer ..if thats the case , Linc or Gregson or someone like that may look at their options

Horlin-Smith, Stanley, McCarthy, Hayball, Gardner, Murdoch, Black, House, Cunico, Abbott, Crameri.

Excluding rookies, all these guys could be delisted come the end of 2018. I think we'll have no retirements this year too.

Unless something very unexpected happens, Horlin-Smith, Black and Hayball look like an absolute lock to go.

Cunico at least has a contract. I do agree those guys are under pressure, though for example we wouldn't delist both Stanley and Abbott unless an unexpected ruck appears.

Doubt they’d punt Taylor having only just extended his contract in December

Cam Guthrie, Rhys Stanley & possibly Dan Menzel

For Guthrie 2018 is make or break. He promised so much in 2016 but fell right away in 2017.

For Stanley, it is all about relevance, and for Menzel, it is all about proving Chris Scott wrong.
Well done for taking the not so easy option :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question was phrased in such a way that the correct option was also the easy option :p
I was hoping more would take a more controversial path

To me the ruck question is who we would need if smith goes down. Clearly Stanley is next in line and rightfully so.
Blicavs is the guy most exposed there. If his supposed new role doesnt work Id send him on his way for a decent price while still possible. Im hoping his role will be to smash taggers off our star mids.
Next and probably more controversially, are our mids. We have danger sel ablett mini sel duncan menegola guthrie ghs kelly cocky parfitt fogarty constable parsons cunico gregson. Im thinking the last 8 on that list are our future mids. Ghs is certainly on his way out the door, so doesnt qualify.
Ablett sel and danger will dominate over the next two or three years. Mini sel is essential as j kelly was for being a prolific tackling menace to opposition mids. This leaves guthrie duncan and menegola up for discussion. Now, the easy target there would be guthrie for his 17 form. I dont think wed get much back for him so better to keep for his versatility. If tuohy bews stewart kolo or thurlow go down he becomes more important than we think.
I think you may know where Im going with this. There has been outcry about trying to get gaff for his outside ball winning or lynch for tommys assistant and then replacement. For mine the latter.
Only one of the remaining two would free enough salary and trade value to make this remotely possible. Willo you wanted controversy. With Duncan you have it.
Dont misunderstand me, I love Mitch in the hoops, but if kelly fogarty parfitt cocky constable etc are as good as it appears, we may need a lynch over a mitch. Only if a lynch committed to the cats of course. He may well love to rejoin gaz and smith and have our mids hit him up.
Mitch could possibly be the surprise omission (more like a sacrifice). Doubt it would happen but recruiters have to make some awful decisions.
Maybe a 3 way trade with lynch gaff and duncan

Q2. HOW MUCH WILL THE RETIREMENT OF LONG TIME DEFENDERS DOMS/MACKIE HURT US?
Stanley
Blicavs
Kolo
Henderson
Taylor
Thurlow

Dare I say, Black

These are some names that I think we have no choice in considering KB spots.

MACKIE- irreplaceable, but how I would have loved Watts to have taken that spot. Now, I think Thurlow could be that rebounding elusive goal kicking tallish defender

LONERGAN- perhaps the lack of potent monster KF's has made his departure a little timely, but he will be missed. Stanley would be my choice if we needed an additional tall, mobile KB. Otherwise, Kolo will suffice.

Aaron Black- interesting player that has yet to be tested or used. He has played in defence at NM, is a good mark and a beautiful kick. Do not be surprised if he gets a look in.

Stanley
...............SNIP............
Aaron Black- interesting player that has yet to be tested or used. He has played in defence at NM, is a good mark and a beautiful kick. Do not be surprised if he gets a look in.

Black as you say has not been used much. The games he did play in the AFL were not outstanding nor awful. The one thing holding him back is his overhead marking (his lead up work is good). He takes few overhead marks at AFL or VFL level from what I have seen. His value up forward is his lead up work and good ground level skills.

I agree he is an option down back where marking in contested situations is not as important. In such situations he would be expected to punch.

I have hopes that with Edwards off to Werribee and a full compliment of ground level forwards at AFL level (plus Crameri, House Henry etc) pushing he will play in defence in the VFL this year.

Black as you say has not been used much. The games he did play in the AFL were not outstanding nor awful. The one thing holding him back is his overhead marking (his lead up work is good). He takes few overhead marks at AFL or VFL level from what I have seen. His value up forward is his lead up work and good ground level skills.

I agree he is an option down back where marking in contested situations is not as important. In such situations he would be expected to punch.

I have hopes that with Edwards off to Werribee and a full compliment of ground level forwards at AFL level (plus Crameri, House Henry etc) pushing he will play in defence in the VFL this year.
Black is to me the biggest enigma in our squad. He never looked out of place at AFL level and was quite good in some games but wasn't able to hold down a role. Even Buzza got more games.

I have to wonder what he's trying to do this off-season to have one last big crack at it before a likely delisting. But surely after being traded in he must feel a bit betrayed to no longer be wanted.

Should have asked for peoples smokies or dark horse candidates then instead of just player most at risk.
Yeah good point, i just assumed the pessimism would appear haha

Q4 - Todays question brought to you by a mystery poster

"At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

and for bonus points try guess who gave the question

Q4 - Todays question brought to you by a mystery poster

"At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

and for bonus points try guess who gave the question
LIKE-Gary Ablett jnr- the Season- Norm Smith, Best and Fairest, Brownlow- surely the GOAT.

LIKELY- Port Outpowered by Purring Cats

I never select us to win the flag at this stage, but do or die

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back