AFLW Rnd 2 - Carlton v GWS Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Conditions affected the score but had we been slightly accurate it would have been an absolute flogging.

2-0 is the most important thing. An ugly win in competitive sport is better than being "entertaining" and losing.
afl demands skills but not tactics

16 tackles for Sarah Hosking in 60 mins is incredible. For reference... Libreatore had 19 in 120mins.

The interim coach used the words 'pull through alright' (or similar) - to me, that suggests something very serious.
I heard it as "Should pull through."

Definitely serious.

On that note...

Sounding a bit grim, hope he recovers quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virtually everything I wanted to say has been covered by other posters, but how about that near miss by 'Gerry' Gee? Taps the ball forward, then a little soccer kick, picks the ball up, baulks an opponent & has a flying shot on goal, only for the ball to bounce through just on the wrong side of the post. It was an Eddie Betts type effort & if it had gone through on the right side of the post, it may well have been the best goal of the year in both the men's & women's competition. I'm excited about what this girl may offer in the future, regardless of her being built like a 12 year old schoolgirl.

Last edited:
Virtually everything I wanted to say has been covered by other posters, but how about that near miss by 'Gerry' Gee? Taps the ball forward, then a little soccer kick, picks the ball up, baulks an opponent & has a flying shot on goal, only for the ball bounce to through just on the wrong side of the post. It was an Eddie Betts type effort & if it had gone through on the right side of the post, it may well have been the best goal of the year in both the men's & women's competition. I'm excited about what this girl may offer in the future, regardless of her being built like a 12 year old schoolgirl.
Like Eddie, it looks like she may have massive natural goal sense.

16 tackles for Sarah Hosking in 60 mins is incredible. For reference... Libreatore had 19 in 120mins.
Okay, that's absolutely ridiculous. I noticed just how often she was getting to every contest and was there to shut down any opponent who was unlucky enough to be within her reach. She's a machine, is Sarah.

Jess is obviously made of the same stuff, though you can clearly see the physical difference between them with even a year of extra development that Sarah had (unless they just happen to always have slightly different builds).

Okay, that's absolutely ridiculous. I noticed just how often she was getting to every contest and was there to shut down any opponent who was unlucky enough to be within her reach. She's a machine, is Sarah.

Jess is obviously made of the same stuff, though you can clearly see the physical difference between them with even a year of extra development that Sarah had (unless they just happen to always have slightly different builds).
Her and Loynes stood out to me as absolutely smashing in. There were one or two moments I thought they'd done themselves a mischief in the process too. Also reckon the GWS girls were noticing it too - thought I spotted a couple of times their girls picked up the ball expecting heavy contact and froze a little!

The game was streamed on the AFL website.

Do you have to pay for that?
Regardless not everyone has unlimited internet.
No Game Center to see scores and stats and not on any of Sevens myriad free to Air channels tells me the women's game is not being adequately supported by the AFL and Seven
The winter Olympics coverage was on but they showed hardly anything while the AFLW was on.
MISSED OPPORTUNITY

Do you have to pay for that?
Regardless not everyone has unlimited internet.
No Game Center to see scores and stats and not on any of Sevens myriad free to Air channels tells me the women's game is not being adequately supported by the AFL and Seven
The winter Olympics coverage was on but they showed hardly anything while the AFLW was on.
MISSED OPPORTUNITY
Hi 1981. I didn't see if this was up and running during the game, but there is a match centre
http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/match-centre

And if you have smart phone the AFLW app is not bad (for a Telstra product)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back