Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it will. The same predicament will likely be in place that has been in previous years. He wins enough H&A games to get us to contend that we won’t sack him for an untried coach. However; there aren’t too many quality experienced coaches sitting on the sidelines waiting for another chance.

For Scott’s position to be under threat we’d have to miss finals badly imo.

Doubt it will. The same predicament will likely be in place that has been in previous years. He wins enough H&A games to get us to contend that we won’t sack him for an untried coach. However; there aren’t too many quality experienced coaches sitting on the sidelines waiting for another chance.

For Scott’s position to be under threat we’d have to miss finals badly imo.

Do we necessarily need an experienced coach to take over from Scott?
Or just someone with some fresh ideas and methods that might tip us from' thereabouts' too progressing past Preliminary Final weekend.
I can see logic for both sides , it's an interesting 'What If' though.

Do we necessarily need an experienced coach to take over from Scott?
Or just someone with some fresh ideas and methods that might tip us from' thereabouts' too progressing past Preliminary Final weekend.
I can see logic for both sides , it's an interesting 'What If' though.
But that’s the conundrum. So long as we make finals and he maintains his high W/L record Cook won’t sack him for someone untried. To sack a coach achieving finals yearly you need to do so for someone who is highly likely to produce better results, you can’t be sure of that for someone untried.

Hence it won’t happen.

Q5: WILL ANOTHER POOR FINALS CAMPAIGN SEE THE SCOTT UNDER GENUINE PRESSURE TO KEEP HIS JOB?
I don’t think he would be sacked after making the finals and failing but he might walk away. I also think he could even walk away after a flag.

Same old same old should see him come under scrutiny,how ever I reckon even though we have missed the big dance since 2011 he has ticked a lot of boxes for the club and Cook by staying competitive especially at home and putting bums on seats,a key factor in securing funds from governments for the rebuilds of KP,once that's completed it's a new ball game and the club may become more adventurous and look to some one else.Will see out his contract.

Says you now- let him at least start the season and see how he goes please?

In fairness to Seeds - and I could’ve misinterpreted his use of the word ‘prudent’ - I think he’s suggesting that if, behind the scenes, it’s judged his glass knees are touch and go then perhaps he should retire now than break them completely and be an invalid for the rest of his days. Ie.....prudent.

Q4 - Todays question brought to you by a mystery poster

"At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

and for bonus points try guess who gave the question

I think they’ll go with a classic:

Walking on Water (photo of Ablett arms outstretched at the final siren) Geelong wins in wettest final in recent memory.

There will probably be a mention of Richmond only not making it because they had to play an away prelim.

Menegola and stanley cop it but GHS cops nothing. In fact he is almost celebrated for being an average footballer.
Well with those two, expectations are higher as they are playing senior football? George excells at a lower level and is rarely in seniors so we have nothing to knock him for. Wouldn’t say he is celebrated though.

Dan himself thinks he’s right to go now, yep he’ll deal with soreness for many many years but he doesn’t believe his knees are any more fragile or likely to injure than they were prior to the recos.
That’s probably why he’s been able to impact the way he has.
Maybe that’s a little lie he has to believe to contribute or maybe there’s some truth to it, I don’t know, but I’ll be cautiously optimistic when it comes to “those” knees myself.

In fairness to Seeds - and I could’ve misinterpreted his use of the word ‘prudent’ - I think he’s suggesting that if, behind the scenes, it’s judged his glass knees are touch and go then perhaps he should retire now than break them completely and be an invalid for the rest of his days. Ie.....prudent.
it was my use of the word prudent he referred to

But that’s the conundrum. So long as we make finals and he maintains his high W/L record Cook won’t sack him for someone untried. To sack a coach achieving finals yearly you need to do so for someone who is highly likely to produce better results, you can’t be sure of that for someone untried.

Hence it won’t happen.
Where does everyone realistically believe we SHOULD finish this year, and then ACTUALLY finish based on coach, gameplan etc. If we all answered those questions honestly....
I believe we have the best person available who has intimate knowledge of our list and others, and is a fine student of the game, and highly respected by his peers. The supporters who are critical of him are actually irrelevant when you consider all and sundry were after Hardwick to be sacked- now he's their demigod.
CS is not perfect, no coach is- at the end of 16, everybody wanted the Dogs coach- now he's yesterday's news. At end 18, it may be Hinkley or Buckley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Given teams (generally) only run with one tagger, Ablett in means two of himself, Danger and Selwood will be free to run amok (plus Duncan) of our starting mids. We all know how dangerous they can be when allowed to run free. Scary thought for other teams.

:joycat::joycat::joycat:

Ablett - The Return - Said No Other Team EVER -Selwood + Dangerfield - Ablett The Return Meme.jpg

Only if our forwards don't press so far up the ground,leaving the backs on a quick break with no options in front of them to go to and having to hold on to the pill go side ways and back to give time for the forwards to get forward again.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Q4 - Todays question brought to you by a mystery poster

"At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

and for bonus points try guess who gave the question

Geelong Headline I'd most like to see:

'Geelong Demolishes Hawthorn by 216 points in 2018 Grand Final, swooping every AFL prize!'

Joel Selwood - Brownlow
Tomahawk - Coleman
Dangerfield - Norm Smith
Ablett - Carji Greaves
All Australian - Ablett, Bews, Blicavs, Buzza, Cockatoo, Dangerfield, Duncan, Hawkins, Henderson, Guthries x 2, Mengola, Menzel, Parfitt, Selwoods x 2
Scott - Coach of the Year

Selwood + Davis welcome their first child, a boy, who they are calling 'DangerDuncWoodLett'

Headline we are most likely to see:
Richmond + Hawthorn tie for Ninth Place *jokes*

Adelaide, Richmond + Hawthorn fail to make the Top Eight *fingers crossed*

Like:
Purrfection - Chris Scott discusses his teams unprecedented 25-0 season

Edit: Also a feature length interview with retiring Norm Smith Medalist Daniel Menzel

Most likely:
So Close And Yet... - Cats left soul searching after another season that didn't quite get there

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Q5: WILL ANOTHER POOR FINALS CAMPAIGN SEE THE SCOTT UNDER GENUINE PRESSURE TO KEEP HIS JOB?

It should, but only if there is a genuine alternative coach in the waiting (and not an untried rookie), and only if we are still a genuine flag chance.

It should, but only if there is a genuine alternative coach in the waiting (and not an untried rookie), and only if we are still a genuine flag chance.

When you say an untried rookie, do you mean like Mark Thompson or Chris Scott? Or maybe Clarkson, Beveridge, Longmire, and Hardwick. They were all untried too.

Hi All,

With the excitement (lol) that is AFLX only 10 days away (including today) I thought it would be good to do a burning questions type thing, 1 question a day until game day. Basically I ask a question, for that day we discuss that question alone and move on the next day. I will also link every days question back to here so at the end you can just click through and find where the question and responses it got are...
Clear as mud? Good

Q1. Does the return of Gaz instantly make us a credible threat for the premiership?
Q2. HOW MUCH WILL THE RETIREMENT OF LONG TIME DEFENDERS DOMS/MACKIE HURT US?
Q3. WHO IS IN THE MOST TROUBLE ON OUR LIST, MEANING WHO IS STRUGGLING, WHO MAY SEE THEMSELVES OUT AS THE YEAR GOES ON?
Q4."At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

1 - Absolutely. Gaz will be back to his best because psychologically he will feel right at home and free to do whatever he wants.

2 - It will hurt us yes. Both were great servants for the club and legends in every way. I feel our defence will be more mobile with both gone but I genuinely worry about it this season, yes

3 - Stanley, Murdoch, GHS, Black I feel are all gone, gone, gone. Thurlow needs a big year and some trust or he might go, Gregson too.

4 - Geelong Premiers its simple. If we fail to win a premiership by 2020 then it's time for a rebuild because this top up and go for glory approach has failed. It's that simple

5 - It should yes, but not many candidates to take over

When you say an untried rookie, do you mean like Mark Thompson or Chris Scott? Or maybe Clarkson, Beveridge, Longmire, and Hardwick. They were all untried too.
The quality being replaced is half of the equation. In all of those cases (Roos-Longmire excepted where it was Roos’ call) there was no downside given who was being replaced.

Hi All,

With the excitement (lol) that is AFLX only 10 days away (including today) I thought it would be good to do a burning questions type thing, 1 question a day until game day. Basically I ask a question, for that day we discuss that question alone and move on the next day. I will also link every days question back to here so at the end you can just click through and find where the question and responses it got are...
Clear as mud? Good

Q1. Does the return of Gaz instantly make us a credible threat for the premiership?
Q2. HOW MUCH WILL THE RETIREMENT OF LONG TIME DEFENDERS DOMS/MACKIE HURT US?
Q3. WHO IS IN THE MOST TROUBLE ON OUR LIST, MEANING WHO IS STRUGGLING, WHO MAY SEE THEMSELVES OUT AS THE YEAR GOES ON?
Q4."At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"
1. Yes. On paper the greatest starting midfield of all time.

2. Doms hurts a lot. Henderson is an average one on one defender and plays better as a third tall. Harry has been a star but has slowed down. Big concern with no real backups. Our mediums and small backs are good so mackie is not big loss

3. I could name a bunch of spuds who never play but that is no fun. Players who could go either way include stanley (lacks a heart, dumb as dogshit), mccarthy (not young, average 10 touches and less than 1 goal a game), guthrie (gone backwards, has talent), menzel

4. Meh

Competition now has so many contenders, a bad finals campaign is not solely to us. Adelaide, Port Adelaide, GWS, Sydney, Richmond, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Essendon, Stkilda and potentially Collingwood and West Coast all competitive now.
Making the finals is an achievement now.
If we make top 4 again, it would be some effort
I think Scott has made us competitive, and with some luck we may have been more than that a few times.
Hope Gaz and the fitness of McCarthy, Cocky and Gregson, and youth of Kelly and Fogarty will hold us in good stead come the pointy end.
Maybe even Crameri will be a surprise

I think they’ll go with a classic:

Walking on Water (photo of Ablett arms outstretched at the final siren) Geelong wins in wettest final in recent memory.

There will probably be a mention of Richmond only not making it because they had to play an away prelim.

Preferably at Kardinia Park lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back