Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They will get brittle but what force will be applied to it to cause any disruption and damage? Even if every rivet or screw was instantaneously removed it is ballistic, no resistance and all moving the same speed in the same direction.

Unless it buzzes something it won't fall apart until someone touches it.

Extreme radiation.

That SpaceX launch was fantastic!
The landing of the boosters was jaw dropping. Huge leap forward right there.

Waiting for the conspiracy thread to open on space X.
In the quad frame shot of the boosters landing, there must have been only 1 camera so they doubled up that scene. It looks like "both" boosters land on the same pad. You can see flames from a second booster though.
Our conspiracy guys are getting slack. Not a peep from them.
The poor flat earthers will be in overdrive.
Spacex in trouble with CT'ers. They edited the live stream to substitute vision from the second booster.
And so it begins.
NASA fraud thread.

Who cares, there’s no loss.

SpaceX is obviously into the launching and not missions. Probably needs to build confidence before the orders come in

SpaceX (with funding from Google) plan on launching two of their own satellites tomorrow (as well as a satellite for the Spanish government).

These two satellites are intended to be the start of almost 12,000 satellites SpaceX intends to launch to form a global satellite internet network.

Musk then intends to use the funds from the satellite business to fund his Mars colonization plans.

I think they're into missions too.

Spacex in trouble with CT'ers. They edited the live stream to substitute vision from the second booster.
And so it begins.
NASA fraud thread.
I was there. I took a video on my Samsung...

Just reading an interesting article on Astronomy Now website “Table for one” is the article relating to Fermie’s paradox. Where are all the Aliens?

There is a small debate going on about wether we should be trying to contact other civilisations. So far the point is mute but many believe it is unwise to advertise our existence without fully knowing what’s out there.

So just as an exercise I was thinking what if we assumed the galaxy was populated by civilisations similar to countries and cultures here on Earth. It’s pretty much the only real comparison we can make at the moment.

So let’s say we were visited by the United States. A mostly benevolent culture who has a technological edge in the galaxy. Not too much to fear there I would think unless the US government allowed their huge corporations to pillage our resources. We would be powerless to stop them from taking what we have. Over time they may even try to indoctrinate us into their way of life and to follow whatever belief system they may have. So Hotdogs and Monday night football will be their contribution to our way of life.

But overall I think we as a culture could unite into their grand capitalistic plan and benefit from their visit. One drawback with their system that could be detrimental to us all would be their tendency to vote crazy guys in as their “leader” every generation or so.

On the other hand if we were to be visited by a civilisation resembling the Taliban we may regret sending radio waves in that particular direction. No Mickey Mouse effigies allowed on your bumper. Certain sections of our civilisation would be banned so no Sydney Mardi Gras allowed or anything that shows female flesh. Strict religious thinking would be inforced with huge and deadly penalties applied. These guys are the Daleks from Doctor Who so prepare for extermination.

An invasion of Australians may not be a good thing either. Bringing their exotic poisonous animals and sea creatures that want to either eat you or send you to a painful death. But the beer and beaches are a plus.

A Kiwi invasion would see their ship empty in about a week and our dole queues increase dramatically. But st least we would win the rugby.

A Middle Eastern culture would bring richness to our lives with all the conflict that has engulfed them for a Millenia!

The Chinese would bring order and a very rich culture to our planet. Also a strong ethic that we would be expected to follow. It would be a mix of New tech borrowed from other civilisations but produced by their throngs of cheap labour at a very high quality and a low cost.

A European invasion would see a very technological and highly morall but spiritually advanced culture that has been through the ringer in the past but is fast learning how to become a real power in the galaxy. Their idealism borne out of centuries of devastating Wars culminating in a quantum shift in their thinking out of necessity will guide them to becoming an important entity in this universe.

There are many other countries from Africa for instance who may have set out in their wooden space freighters but didn’t quite make it all the way. The Somalian pirates only have Jetsons type space cars so they won’t be wondering any where near us. The Eskimos and Australian indigenous are still to hit the sky above their own planet so distance and technology will be our saviour there.

I’ve been to Canada and loved it immensely. These people are what the Yanks should have become. If I had a choice of invaders these guys would be up there. A mix of Aussie and American culture but Without over doing it.
They love their sport and are benevolent to all visitors to their planet. On the other hand I doubt they would see a need to come here for anything other than warmth. Their planet is freezing cold most of the year so some sunshine from our local star may be the ticket.

It’s interesting to note that most of the countries that can invade don’t really feel a need to do so and the countries that feel a need to apply their backward beliefs and systems just don’t have the resources to travers vast distances.

Perhaps malevolence gives way to benevolence when it comes to space travel. If this is the case and mostly decent societies have the edge in progress as seen here on our planet then we may have nothing to worry about.

But you never know what may appear in the sky above your house when you least expect. But many intelligent science types believe we are alone. But then so did those isolated tribes in South America.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interstellar Visitor?

An asteroid in Jupiter's orbit may have come from outside our Solar System, according to a new study.

Unlike 'Oumuamua, the interstellar object which briefly visited the Solar System earlier this year, 2015 BZ509 (affectionately known as BZ) seems to have been here for 4.5 billion years.

This makes it the first known interstellar asteroid to have taken up residence orbiting the Sun.

It is not yet known where the object came from.

"That's what we need to figure out next," laughs Dr Fathi Namouni from the Universite Cote d'Azur, one of the study's authors.

"Because 'Oumuamua was just passing by… it's not that difficult to go back and pinpoint where it came from," he told BBC News. "BZ reached the Solar System when it was forming, when the planets themselves were not exactly where they are now. So it's a little more tricky to figure out where it came from."

I’d say the native Americans and bison stocks would dispute the benevolence of the USA
Yes difinitely!

But without trying to defend what they did these issues were in their early history. Maybe by the time planet USA has the ability to visit other solar systems they may have risen above all of this.

Or.......perhaps exploitation is just the key to their existence! If that's the case we are all f*****:$

Last night (early this morning; about 2am) I saw what was apparently the SpaceX rocket doing a burn. It was awesome. Unfortunately, I was too stunned and stupid to drop my shopping bags and grab my phone out of my car to film it. But this guy got a fuzzy photo

DvHRij8VAAUG2fM.jpg:large

Last edited:
I found a video from last year's launch. Last night's one looked very similar, but the tail wasn't as long.
I can't believe it wasn't all over the news and talkback radio last night, because it's probably the most amazing things I've ever seen. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back