Politicians having affairs- does it change your vote?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be a great thing for the nation
What amazes me is the pure arrogance to think they would get away with it
He's ginas boy and amazingly his daughter was seen with a magaphone bagging her dad driving up and down the Main Street prior to by election
No coverage by MSM
What's wrong with the voters of New England?

there was also a confrontation between his Mrs and his girlfriend at at fund raiser that involved yelling

there was also a confrontation between his Mrs and his girlfriend at at fund raiser that involved yelling
And the daughter of an award recipient at the Rural Womens Awards, who ran into the toilets crying to get away from him.

And... you know the drill. Once this stuff comes out it's never just a one-off.

Here is a timeline of their relationship done by AAP with some comments by me in brackets off the back of News Corp reports. I guess Joyce's breaking of the rules regarding employing partners comes down to whether you think someone being a 'partner' of a politician is effected by whether they are their only partner. Maybe Joyce was such a strong public believer in marriage because he thinks that's the only relationship that really counts as a 'partner'? Of course I don't think it really matters as the public perception is that she was given plum jobs due to the affair, and the points of hypocrisy should be enough to scupper Joyce, but we live in weird times. Last night on Q&A the Liberal Senator was trying to say everything was legit, so I guess this is the info that potentially decides if that is true or not (of course Tony Windsor reckons there's even more to come out about Barnaby's drunken behaviour):

May – Campion assists Joyce’s election campaign as media adviser, having previously worked with NSW Govt ministers and News Corp
Jun(campaigning)
Jul(election held and Joyce wins)
Aug – Campion joins Joyce’s staff and splits with fiance John Bergin, 3 months before they were due to wed.
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
– Joyce's Chief of staff Di Hallam reportedly seeks Joyce’s approval to have Campion transferred out of office. (A News.com.au article says she made Joyce go to the PM's office and admit the relationship, and that Campion moved around this time. AAP says she moved in April 2017 and AAP also mentions in their run-down that "Hallam later quits to take up departmental role", but it isn't clear why they put that here in Dec 2016, when they refer to her taking a position in Aug 2017 - maybe she quit for a Departmental role now, and later got given a role on the Inland Rail project, which was a Nationals' project?)

Jan
Feb
– Campion is photographed in a Sydney bar with Joyce
Mar
Apr
– Joyce’s wife reportedly confronts Campion in Tamworth. Campion goes to Canavan’s office as adviser (according to AAP) and Natalie & Barnaby seek to fix marriage
May – At NSW Nationals conference in Broken Hill colleagues describe Joyce as “a mess” (News.com.au sort of contradicts this, saying their relationship was obvious by the end of this conference, so I guess saying Joyce was "a mess" may not have been a reference to his emotions)
Jun – Natalie and Barnaby show up together at Canberra press gallery midwinter ball
Jul – Campion leaves Canavan office after he quits frontbench over citizenship. She temporarily goes back to Joyce’s office (and, um... child conceived)
Aug – Campion moves to Drum’s office in a social media adviser position created for her. Drum already had a media adviser. Turnbull reportedly told by Joyce relationship with Campion is over. Drum says he was told the same thing. Di Hallam takes up a senior position with Inland Rail project.
Sep – Natalie reportedly asks family friend and Catholic priest Father Frank Brennan to counsel Joyce. Campion is seen managing Joyce media events at federal Nationals conference in Canberra.
Oct – Campion reportedly takes stress leave. Writ issued for New England byelection after Joyce quits over dual citizenship.
Nov – Natalie holidays in Bali with a daughter. Man in a pub in Inverell angers Joyce during election campaign by reportedly saying: “Say hello to your mistress”.
Dec – Joyce wins byelection. Joyce tells parliament during same-sex marriage debate he is separated. Campion’s redundancy package is approved. (so a redundancy package, even though she was in Drum's office and nothing changed with Drum's circumstances? That seems dodgy to me, but there are some inconsistencies with AAP's timeline and other reports), They move into an Armidale property provided rent-free by businessman Greg Maguire.

Jan – Joyce and Campion holiday in north Queensland and NSW north coast
Feb – Joyce tells reporters Campion is now his partner. But denies she was his partner when she worked in Canavan’s office (EDIT: As IceWolf points out the role with Drum is apparently not an issue, because appointing people to offices for non-Ministers is OK in the Parliamentary code)
Mar
Apr
– Joyce-Campion baby is due. So her "stress leave" in Oct is very closely matched to the time she would've known she was pregnant.

Last edited:
Its not too hard to count backwards 9 months from April is it! How many relationships just start and she is pregnant straight away? Not many. He's been putting her away for a couple of years.

Along with a few others, if you believe the rumours.

They just embarrass themselves with these ridiculous stories that can be so easily debunked.

Feb – Joyce tells reporters Campion is now his partner. But denies she was his partner when she worked in Canavan’s office (so role with Drum still an issue, right?)
Nope as Drum wasn't a Minister, supposedly that makes a difference according to Barnaby.

And now the screws are turning:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...rliament-was-not-sitting-20180213-p4z05r.html

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce charged taxpayers to spend 50 nights in Canberra when Parliament was not sitting in the first nine months of 2017 - more than any other Turnbull government cabinet minister.

Official expense records show Mr Joyce claimed $16,690 in travel allowance for out-of-session nights in the nation's capital between January 1 and September 30, 2017. That is significantly more than top government figures such as Treasurer Scott Morrison, Finance Minister Mathias Cormann and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.

Gee, they obviously don't have much confidence in the rest of the Nationals. In that metaphor, they should be welcoming all the ****ing around he is doing because it's their best chance at having another good National Party candidate in a few decades.

Ironically, Dastyari has recently made an entertaining return to commenting about politics due to the ridiculous arguments defending Joyce. As long as you have someone competent to replace him, there isn't a loss. Barnaby could keep chipping in. You know, unless the thing that forces him to resign directly contradicts several of his political arguments...

The Nationals need a proper shake-up or some proper competition rurally.

The only thing entertaining about Dastari and politics is that he is no longer involved. Dastyari is a joke and a sell out. He is the Manchurian Candidate, and as bad as Joyce's behaviour has been of late it pales in significance to the damage Sam Dastyari has caused this country. Ideally we will see Barn Door join the Australian traitor on the sidelines. The Australian political landscape will be better off without either of these grubs.

Last edited:
We can only hope that the knifes are long and sharp
Hopeful of the mushroom cloud enveloping the following stalwart co a lition ( Malcolm's party)
Malcolm, Eric, michaelia , Simon, Christopher, Scott, Peter and Julie
All not worthy to be representatives just like good old sophie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been following this a bit but haven't had the time or energy to track all of the various reports... Putting my devils advocate/bush lawyer hat on it seems like there is technical grounds for Joyce and Turnbull to claim that she wasn't his "partner" at the time of the Canavan appointment (if we take for granted that her being appointed to Drum's office is ok, albeit still murky). From all of the evidence that I have seen quoted here she wasn't his partner as per the Centrelink guidelines (which seems to be something that people are really latching onto). Throughout that period he appears to still be trying to hold on to his marriage and wasn't living with the mistress which is what would qualify as partner under that definition.

Where I think there is a case that has no (or much less) room for rebuttal is in relation to how these roles came about in the first place. As far as I know all government entities have strict processes that need to be followed which positions are created or existing positions are filled (in the name of equity). Where are the business cases for new roles being created? What was the rationale for determining that she was the best candidate for the job?

Give them their "win" on whether she could be there or not, focus on how the process was run (and the potentially unnecessary spending of public funds). Surprised this side of it isn't getting more traction in the media TBH

Whats the real difference between Barnaby getting his expenses paid and Daysatri ? Being on the take from Australian millionaires is different form foreign ones?

True. More than I realised though are taking a non partisan approach to corruption, Sam copped his right whack and I was half hoping Julie Bishop would follow through on her threat to start outing the opposition. I suspect though, that the left is better at managing their relationships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back