footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The guy f73 is referring to is at Essendon, and from my occasional dealings with him occasionally lets slip real info, other times crap or stuff that is already public knowledge. He may have known about Dalrymple, or maybe not - just as likely his second one is retrospective and referring to someone like Stringbean.
F73???

Why don’t you post his name and phone number while you’re at it ffs??!! Yes he works at the Bombres, but as you well know (or maybe have forgotten), he has a very strong connection to one of our coterie groups.
And fwiw, when he mentioned 2 departures to me, he didn’t mention Dalrymple by name, his comment was something like “one significant departure, and one departure of someone who is not significant, but the method of their departure will be”. For some context, we were discussing Doyle and McLachlan scandals at the time. Make of that what you will.
And don’t bother calling me to apologise, I suspect our canary will not be singing quite so much in future.

DelRe

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree with the sentiment that it’s generally better to keep good personnel than lose them and there seems to be more going through the exit than the entry (albeit a total of only 3 people) but some of the commentary on the loss of Dalrymple is to me an exaggeration.

He simply wasn’t the architect of the flag for mine; that seems to be a nice media headline but lacking substance as a genuine description. If he was he would’ve brought in a team of recruits so strong that it regularly finished top 4 and won more games than it has. As it was, one of the key players was Boyd who wasn’t even his recruit. I just don’t think you can have it both ways that Beveridge is a genius coach who got the most out of the list, through effective motivation and game plan (built on role players) at a critical time while also saying we have a genius recruiter.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He wanted out and was sounding out other opportunities whilst still under contract.
Apparently quite unpopular with the other staff. This gives the Bulldogs an opportunity to create a cohesive recruiting department that is swimming in the same direction.

Oct 7, 2007
Stage Left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He wanted out and was sounding out other opportunities whilst still under contract.
Apparently quite unpopular with the other staff. This gives the Bulldogs an opportunity to create a cohesive recruiting department that is swimming in the same direction.

But by crikey he could pick them! Hopefully the process is robust enough that the departed individual doesn't matter too much.

Someone said before that he and Bev disagreed about Naughton - any idea who wanted and who didn't want?

Just prior to Christmas on his day off Simon was called into a meeting with
Chris Grant they spoke for about an hour. In that meeting Simon was told that he would no longer be in charge of recruiting and that Sam Power would be in control from 2018.
In effect we have moved on a person with over 30 years experience in recruiting and development of young people to be replaced by a person who has spent 2 years at Carlton.

I would like to wish Simon all the best and thank him for those gems he drafted
for we will not find another recruiter with his dedication.
Apologies for my earlier rants on this subject.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just prior to Christmas on his day off Simon was called into a meeting with
Chris Grant they spoke for about an hour. In that meeting Simon was told that he would no longer be in charge of recruiting and that Sam Power would be in control from 2018.
In effect we have moved on a person with over 30 years experience in recruiting and development of young people to be replaced by a person who has spent 2 years at Carlton.

You are right, this is a massive, massive call by the Club.
Fingers crossed it works out.
Dalrymple has had a great innings at the Bulldogs with astute picks across the board. His legacy was ensured when St Klida took Billings, who he wanted, and at the next pick we got the Bont. The mind boggles to think what would have eventuated had that not happened.

You are right, this is a massive, massive call by the Club.
Fingers crossed it works out.
Dalrymple has had a great innings at the Bulldogs with astute picks across the board. His legacy was ensured when St Klida took Billings, who he wanted, and at the next pick we got the Bont. The mind boggles to think what would have eventuated had that not happened.

Your reference to Billings is pure fiction!

Dalrymple was our only legitimate competitive advantage. He was hands down the best in his field. We have nobody else like that and worse we either can't afford to pay for someone like that, can't attract them or both. We aren't a club that can afford to lose these things.
Arguably Sydney have an as good (or better) record than Dalrymple in the past few years - they're the only team that would match us though. And now they've gotten stronger.

If one of Boyd or Schache come good that will go a massive way to setting us on the right path as will keeping Adams fit. We've cobbled together bookends and Boyd played out of his skin for a few weeks but there are still question marks at either end of the ground.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dalrymple is one of the best recruiters going around (despite not having recruited a young gun tall). Recruiter strike rates pretty much dictate the success of a club and IMO they are as important as the coach.

Gun clubs keep their gun recruiters for many, many years. See Hawks, Swans, Cats.

Massive failure on the part of the club to lose Dal. Would be similar to losing Bev.

Dont understand the faith in Baines fixing it - bloke is from st Kilda ffs. Cannot believe Sam Power has so much responsibility with very litle real world experience.

Troubling that the Dogs haven't retained Dal. Really troubling.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's really done an outstanding job for us, I don't think some people quite understand what he's been up against. In his first few years, our recruiting structure and budget was pathetic compared to most clubs (in his first year he was only part time as well). Even now, reportedly we still have one of the smallest recruiting budgets going around. He's done incredibly well for what he's been given and I'm very disappointed to see such a key component to our success leave the club.

Oh and coaches and recruiters disagreeing isn't anything new. I can't imagine this would be a key factor in his decision.

Eade very much questioned the Howard call, not sure who he wanted though.
McCartney wanted the best available inside mid in the 2011 draft (Clay Smith), but Dalrymple thought Crozier was the best player available.
McCartney wanted Wines over Macrae.

Those are just the ones that I know about, I'd say there's definitely more.

A few things that happened at the AGM make sense now. Dalrymple was given a life membership and thanked for all his hard work. They made a big deal out of Gary Kent leaving the club too. It all seemed very warm onstage but I wonder how much tension there has been in the background. There’s an obvious ‘changing of the guard’ happening, and you’d imagine that success has given Bev a huge say in roles & appointments

Last edited:

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was there some rumour that Bevo and Dal had disagreements over the drafting of particular players? I wonder if that played a role?
I thought it was pretty straight forward. The coaches advises the recruiter the type players required and the recruiter does the selection with this in mind on the best avalaible.

In other words Simon it is quite Simple
But was this a problem with Dalrymple

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Arguably Sydney have an as good (or better) record than Dalrymple in the past few years - they're the only team that would match us though. And now they've gotten stronger.

If one of Boyd or Schache come good that will go a massive way to setting us on the right path as will keeping Adams fit. We've cobbled together bookends and Boyd played out of his skin for a few weeks but there are still question marks at either end of the ground.
Look at the budget and resources Sydney had to work with as compared to ours. There is no arguably about it Dalrymple is the best in his field.

Short term is fine, we have his picks and those aforementioned players who I hope both reach their respective potential but long term I struggle to see a good outcome, hopefully Sam Power is a savant.

Short term is fine, we have his picks and those aforementioned players who I hope both reach their respective potential but long term I struggle to see a good outcome, hopefully Sam Power is a savant.
I hope so too - Sam is reportedly a clever bloke off field but losing someone of Dalrymple's calibre is always a worry.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I will see your C.Daniel and raise you a D.Hamilton and
throw in a M.Fuller just for good measure. Give me a
hero post when C.Daniel takes his 2nd contested mark
as the first one was kicked to advantage.
Lewis Young looks promising and Bailey Williams looks an astute pick for late in the draft. I'd say the SA scout is doing pretty well. I'd be surprised if he was the same one who was there when Howard was taken and might not be to blame for Fuller either.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lewis Young looks promising and Bailey Williams looks an astute pick for late in the draft. I'd say the SA scout is doing pretty well. I'd be surprised if he was the same one who was there when Howard was taken and might not be to blame for Fuller either.
My point was C.Daniel was our FIFTH and last live pick in
that draft given Z.Cordy was a father son, which is not
a valid reason to raid the cupboard for the dried biscuits.
It was not a slur on the SA scout which may be you
given your passionate response.;):eek:

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The curious thing is that I often read of poor old folk from Melbourne griping about Sydney, while you don't see that from us Sydneysiders.

I wonder why? I'll ponder that while I'm on my lovely nightly harbour side walk (just down the road) tonight.
2000.jpg

I like your shirt. A vast improvement on that green and gold ensemble of yesteryear ...:)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dalrymple has not drafted a single tall forward of quality in his entire time at the club.

Take Libba Wallis Hunter Cordy Boyd Boyd Biggs Morris Hamling because he didn’t draft these guys or was gifted them father son.

Over rated he will not be a loss at all.

Some of the players he has drafted are/were not just average they were next to useless and should never have made AFL lists.

Back