Season 2018 comings and goings ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

My count is 9 Richie.

I am continually reminded that Vermont have an outstanding junior set-up, which on face value is difficult to argue with. On the biggest day of the season their side consists of around 40% of locals. Is this below expectations? That said having 9 guys or 12 in Souths instance that come into the system as 1 point players is a significant advantage when allowing points available for imports.

To be competitive in the top grade all sides are heavily reliant on imports. I believe this is a concept lost on many. The likes of Balwyn and ourselves to a lesser extent face criticism for the reliance on imports in order to compete at this level. If the kids don't exist, let alone find ones that are good enough to compete at that level there is no choice but to recruit. I guess it then becomes a choice at with recruiting path you take, but that's another story again.

Hey graham . There seem to be quite a few left mitcham this year . 3 top liners going to nth ringwood . How r mitcham travelling

Hey graham . There seem to be quite a few left mitcham this year . 3 top liners going to nth ringwood . How r mitcham travelling

Not sure,they will be younger and there will be announcements shortly,keep an eye on club web site for latest news.Will be fielding U19's and junior sides in all grades,2 sides in a couple of the younger age groups plus I think U11 and U12 in the premier grades plus Aus Kick again Friday nights.Also girls team in most age groups I think. Plenty of hard work being done off field facilities wise and the playing surface is in magnificent condition. Cricket season for me so have little or no involvement with the footy club in the off season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My count is 9 Richie.

I am continually reminded that Vermont have an outstanding junior set-up, which on face value is difficult to argue with. On the biggest day of the season their side consists of around 40% of locals. Is this below expectations? That said having 9 guys or 12 in Souths instance that come into the system as 1 point players is a significant advantage when allowing points available for imports.

To be competitive in the top grade all sides are heavily reliant on imports. I believe this is a concept lost on many. The likes of Balwyn and ourselves to a lesser extent face criticism for the reliance on imports in order to compete at this level. If the kids don't exist, let alone find ones that are good enough to compete at that level there is no choice but to recruit. I guess it then becomes a choice at with recruiting path you take, but that's another story again.
I agree Bobby, but if a club isn't making an effort to develop junior players, then what sort of an asset is the club to the local community when they fail to provide opportunities and education for the young people of the area.
Balwyn has continually said that they are unable to field junior teams but when Old Grammarians (800 metres away) have U19’s and Greythorn have junior teams from U8 to U17 it seems more like they will never get juniors teams until they really want them!

Interesting Mitcham have lodged 9 clearances from Ferntree Gully all 19s players in 2017, some with senior experience. Thats one way to guarantee having a 19s side. ;)

That is correct but plenty of work being done off field with the junior program through all MJFC grades.Mitcham did not field an U19 side last season mainly because they did not have an U17 top age side in season 2016.The U17 side in season 2016 was all bottom age and did win the U17D flag and last season did the back to back and won the U17C flag last season and most of these boys will be playing U19's next season.Extremely important for a senior EFL club to get a junior side in all age groups and understand the problems of some clubs with their locality but at Mitcham our most important part of our club is our junior program. Happy to announce that we have junior sides in all age groups with 2 sides in some of the younger age groups and now have a junior ground thanks to the Whitehorse Council.

Last edited:
Is that at Mulluana GMac or somewhere else?

No Koonung Reserve home of Nunawading Football Club.At this stage works out well for both clubs MJFC and Nunawading Football Club with Nunna not having any juniors.Last year Mitcham junior sides trained and played games there and NFC ran a canteen and retained all the profits.

Last edited:
Not sure what to believe with the postings by you guys.Personally struggle to understand why players or supporters would be attracted to Balwyn because Rodney Eade is coach.I am more interested in the bigger picture at Balwyn and could some pr man from the club tell us all about the future plans for the U19's,junior sides and off field improvement in ground facilities etc.Will perhaps put an end to some of the negative feedback directed at your club currently. If they need help on junior development I would recommend the Vermont model which they have done so successfully over the last 20 years at least.
I love your honesty gmac. And it's too easy to look at vermin s junior program, but they have the luxury of being the premier local football club in the country and they attract kids from all over the east to play there. It's not rocket science, and they don't do anything special other than have plenty of coaches and money to support them. I'd look more at a club like south Croydon as a good junior program that has developed to help their senior program. When they won that first flag in 06 in third div they did it off the back of some good recruiting, but more so off an excellent junior program that developed a lot of their senior talent. Not necessarily enouous numbers going thru the juniors, like Rowville. But developing a great culture and an excellent pathway to the seniors.
It's clear that we at upper are currently trying to do the same, and it's working...but until we playing finals in first div, it won't be a success. Balwyn have done none of those things and some stage some, more with points than salary cap, it's all going to collapse. Check book management can only last so long.

FTg fielded two 19's teams last year, winning the 2nd div flag. Had a beer the other day...it was a super day, and there were bowls of chips and dip everywhere....and he said that they just couldn't keep that many kids happy at once so they moved on. Not bad young talent but in my experience, second div is a very tough nut to crack with a very young side. Good luck this year gmac...see you round 1!

Also confirmed today 2018 2nd Division premier will not participate in the Premier Division 2019.
That’s certainly the correct call. The gulf between the two divisions is quite large at the moment.

Also love the crying from Balwyn about players not honouring contracts when they were quite happy to ship off Pask whilst under contract. Serves them right and should be a tough lesson.

That’s certainly the correct call. The gulf between the two divisions is quite large at the moment.

Also love the crying from Balwyn about players not honouring contracts when they were quite happy to ship off Pask whilst under contract. Serves them right and should be a tough lesson.
both are reportedly at different VAFA clubs. Does Balwyn have any leg to stand on in this case? They are not being paid by someone else so probably not in breach of contract?

both are reportedly at different VAFA clubs. Does Balwyn have any leg to stand on in this case? They are not being paid by someone else so probably not in breach of contract?
No idea, but why on earth would Balwyn want them if the clearly don't want to be there? Then again I guess culture and playing for the love of the club is not Balwyn's strong suit.

Wasn’t sure about gorringe had heard he was talking to Southport. Schade currently training with a Vafa club not far from balwyn.

My guess is that is what they will say to be released - not competing with balwyn or for cash elsewhere. 2019 may be a different story however!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back