Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m a big fan of Etihad - it’s better than the ‘G, history aside.

But I sat on the top tier in the pocket where I do a fair bit for MCG games when I go with mates and it felt he same distance away. If it had the overhanging top tier like Etihad it’d be immensely better. It’s still got some good sightlines though and was pretty enjoyable but yeah.

Main issue for me is that it was hard to know when the staircases were coming up and quite often you’d walk way too far and have to poke your head around for the next one. Also seems heaps of them just go from level one to level four? There’s no landings to get off on the earlier tiers. Weird. Maybe that was the one or two I took.

I reckon it’s more similar to AAMI Park but obviously three times as big and a different shape. The wide concourses are a lot like that, balancing of amenities pretty similar, even the steps up to the ground.

Walking around it’s very bright and you can see the grass easily which is way more of an Etihad trope than an MCG one and actually something Subi had: its really nice to get in and immediately see the bright grass and the players warming up. So I liked that. A small thing but it makes you feel way more excited.

Also, man, Jesus from the outside it just looks like Emirates Stadium where Arsenal play! Doesn’t phase me, I’m an Arsenal fan, but it’s almost the exact same capacity and shape and the rounded and horizontal bar sort of approach to the facade makes it feel almost the exact same. There’s a few small things like white bars being exposed at the bottom too. Not a good nor bad thing, just struck me.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I'd be very surprised if it had better all round amenities than Docklands.

It cops a lot of s**t for not being the MCG, but the second level of Docklands on the wing is the best place to watch football in the country. You feel absolutely on top of the play, this is coming from a 15 year member of the MCC, the level 2 balcony seats of the MCC are a very close second.

When you add in the fact it is a small walk to the biggest metro and regional train station in Melbourne and walking distance from Crown/CBD etc...not to mention a roof for winter days and perfect playing conditions.

There's a reason the land is so damn valuable.
And it’s like ANZ stadium why again?

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling

It cops a lot of s**t for not being the MCG, but the second level of Docklands on the wing is the best place to watch football in the country. You feel absolutely on top of the play, this is coming from a 15 year member of the MCC, the level 2 balcony seats of the MCC are a very close second.

When you add in the fact it is a small walk to the biggest metro and regional train station in Melbourne and walking distance from Crown/CBD etc...not to mention a roof for winter days and perfect playing conditions.

There's a reason the land is so damn valuable.

Why not wait until you visit the stadium before comparing it to other stadia, or rating it.

The guy you are quoting is basing his opinion after visiting all the stadiums he mentioned, not from what they look like on telly.

If you have ever been to Subiaco then you would understand why everyone over here is so excited to at long last, have a world class facility to watch our teams play.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Watching the NZ v England T20 match from The Cake Tin at Wellington and I think it's easy to see where Perth Stadium got the elevated seating bowl design from

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Watching the NZ v England T20 match from The Cake Tin at Wellington and I think it's easy to see where Perth Stadium got the elevated seating bowl design from
And of course many US baseball and football stadiums.

Pj.Rj.Hj

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Mount Pleasant, Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

That's exactly where it came from. Populous wrote the design Brief for the WA Gov. They proposed the "Cake Tin" option when an Etihad/Stade de France style movable ground tier was deemed beyond feasible requirements, considering how often Perth needed a rectangular configured Stadium that held over 30 000 and that the WA Gov were really sold on the field level suites which a moveable tier would have complicated.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Br surprised.

Docklands is fantastic in that regard.

Agreed.
On the other hand Perth stadium is an iconic statement which is many times more attractive on the inside and outside
plus the seating is much better with larger capacity AND larger playing surface.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Br surprised.

Docklands is fantastic in that regard.

Agreed.
On the other hand Perth stadium is an iconic statement which is many times more attractive on the inside and outside
plus the seating is much better with larger capacity AND larger playing surface.

I'm not sure the size of the playing surface and the 6,000 extra capacity has much to do with the amenities tbh.

If anything, the narrower ground makes it BETTER to watch football, it's why, $ for $, Etihad is a better place to watch a live game than the MCG.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The AFLW game was staged during a strong wind, normal for Perth.
There didn't seem to be a wind at ground level.
Having a high full circle works wonders in that regards.
I'm all for fully enclosed grounds from a football perspective.

Not building the full circle allows for a larger upgrade in years to come. I would have built three connecting grand stands or a U shape

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Melbourne had double decker trains that went out of service in 2004 I believe. They couldn’t run on some lines because of low tunnels. Conveniently it was the line with the MCG that couldn’t fit them. They did fit through the city loop though. From what I’ve heard the Sydney ones are pretty slow and I’m guessing the Melbourne ones were too.

It was a single double decker train (4 carriages), and it was notoriously unreliable

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not building the full circle allows for a larger upgrade in years to come. I would have built three connecting grand stands or a U shape

I can understand why they built a U shape for Adelaide Oval. The trees and scoreboard are a significant part of the history of the place. They are not going anywhere soon, so it’s not like Adelaide was built as a U shape for future expansion.
Building the Perth Stadium as a U shape would have meant building a sub standard oval for those people not in the stands (or vice versa), just on the off chance that WA gets the money in the future to expand. More likely we would have ended up with a half built stadium for decades.

Yeah by adding rows. Completely limited and cramming more people into the same structure. As opposed to a new 20-40k stand you could build

I think the plans were for another 10,000 seats by adding another tier above level 5 and below the existing canopy. The overriding impression I got from the stadium was spaciousness. I think there would be room to fit more in if needs be.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not sure the size of the playing surface and the 6,000 extra capacity has much to do with the amenities tbh.

It doesn't.( and I'm not sure where you got that idea from)
It is clear that Perth Stadium was built to extract maximum sporting dollar with a lot of value adding.

If anything, the narrower ground makes it BETTER to watch football.

Yes, the Subiaco Oval was a great template for playing and watching.
The football at Docklands is poorer but the sightlines are better.

$ for $, Etihad is a better place to watch a live game than the MCG.

Yes, because it has smaller capacity and simple layout and owned by football.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Yeah by adding rows. Completely limited and cramming more people into the same structure. As opposed to a new 20-40k stand you could build
They're adding people into a structure DESIGNED for adding people. Not just in space for rows but all the other things needed for the extra people are either there or able to be retrofitted.
Adding a stand at the open section is also completely limited by space available. And if it never gets to a point where it's needed you've just got a 60k stadium with a greater-than-necessary percentage of the seats in the nosebleeds.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
They're adding people into a structure DESIGNED for adding people. Not just in space for rows but all the other things needed for the extra people are either there or able to be retrofitted.
Adding a stand at the open section is also completely limited by space available. And if it never gets to a point where it's needed you've just got a 60k stadium with a greater-than-necessary percentage of the seats in the nosebleeds.
ehhh the thing is if the SA government wanted to, you could increase Adelaide oval massively with a stand over the hill behind the goals. Given a lot of seats will be high up, but still so are they at the G

Back