Running shoes

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What do you find the best in terms of support and that don't wear out too quickly? I go through a heap per year. It's *en expensive.

I have high arch feet.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I have highish arches and switched to light weight runners a couple years ago and never looked back as a former supportive running shoe user, I am onto my 3rd pair of skecher go runs, dont let the skecher name put youn off they are seriously good, and only around $100, or less at places like DFO for the old models, I bought 3 pairs of the gorun 4s for $40 each because I liked them so much.

Theyre not minimalistic but getting down that way, took me a couple weeks of reduced running to get used to how light and soft they are after years of bulky shoes, but it forced me to develop a much lighter running style and I rarely get any inuries/persistant soreness anymore.
Not for everyone but I reckon lighter shoes would suit more people than not.
https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/02/skechers-gorun-5-review/

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I have highish arches and switched to light weight runners a couple years ago and never looked back as a former supportive running shoe user, I am onto my 3rd pair of skecher go runs, dont let the skecher name put youn off they are seriously good, and only around $100, or less at places like DFO for the old models, I bought 3 pairs of the gorun 4s for $40 each because I liked them so much.

Theyre not minimalistic but getting down that way, took me a couple weeks of reduced running to get used to how light and soft they are after years of bulky shoes, but it forced me to develop a much lighter running style and I rarely get any inuries/persistant soreness anymore.
Not for everyone but I reckon lighter shoes would suit more people than not.
https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/02/skechers-gorun-5-review/
i've found it impossible to locate good Skechers running shoes in this country. they have some of the cheaper more clunky models but i'd like to get my hands on the GoRun 5/6 or the GoMeb Razor/Razor2.

looked in a few shops and they dont have them. contacted Skechers AU and they said they arent bringing them in.
they stock kids shoes with flashing lights for christ sake and about 18 different varieties of womens walking shoe but the performance running shoes get ignored. :mad:

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
i've found it impossible to locate good Skechers running shoes in this country. they have some of the cheaper more clunky models but i'd like to get my hands on the GoRun 5/6 or the GoMeb Razor/Razor2.

looked in a few shops and they dont have them. contacted Skechers AU and they said they arent bringing them in.
they stock kids shoes with flashing lights for christ sake and about 18 different varieties of womens walking shoe but the performance running shoes get ignored. :mad:

See if they will ship to you, otherwise amazon is always good
https://m.catch.com.au/product/skec...0277_s__e__h_9071422_ii__vi__&offer_id=790188

I was just curious if there is any runners in this forum that can offer some advice.

How often should you change your running shoes? Ive done about ~500-600 kms of running in them but all on a treadmill. They look (which is irrelevant) brand new still but importantly feel reasonably good, I think.

Ive started running at the beach, but on the paved run way. I have felt the shock of the ground on my knees and legs afterwards when I go to sleep, but not while running.

Should I buy a new pair of runners? Would they make a massive difference?

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I was just curious if there is any runners in this forum that can offer some advice.

How often should you change your running shoes? Ive done about ~500-600 kms of running in them but all on a treadmill. They look (which is irrelevant) brand new still but importantly feel reasonably good, I think.

Ive started running at the beach, but on the paved run way. I have felt the shock of the ground on my knees and legs afterwards when I go to sleep, but not while running.

it sounds like the change of surface is beating up your legs...treadmills are a lot more forgiving than pavement. give it a week or so and if your legs don't start to adapt then its time for new shoes.

there's a lot of variables that go into the life expectancy of a shoe and there's no hard and fast rules about when to replace them but its better to do it too soon rather than too late.

it sounds like the change of surface is beating up your legs...treadmills are a lot more forgiving than pavement. give it a week or so and if your legs don't start to adapt then its time for new shoes.

there's a lot of variables that go into the life expectancy of a shoe and there's no hard and fast rules about when to replace them but its better to do it too soon rahter than too late.

I was very surprised at how well I adapted to outdoor running, which fortunately is a result of doing decent treadmill runs.

True, the treadmill is forgiving than the pavement. With the pavement you feel every elevation and uneven surface.

I have been patiently going about the beach runs without pushing myself hard, I dont want shin splints and as long as I can run similar times to my treadmill times, then Im happy. I have however taken longer breaks between runs for that reason to allow adaptation.

You are correct, better to replace a shoe earlier than later. The frustrating aspect of the pandemic is that it makes me want to buy them now, as who the f**k knows what may happen in a week, a month or 3 months from now, if you can only buy like food and medicine. Then Im screwed if my old shoes give up. Unless I jog at a gentle pace.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I bought a pair of these online for $85 on sale just as a 2nd walking/gym type pair. One day randomly tried them for an actual road run and they are better than my 'proper' far more expensive ones.

yeah they're an amazing shoe for the price. i put 1000+ km's on a pair.

just picked up a pair of the newer version 2.0 from Rebel for $80 last week. the sale ended on Monday but i'm sure they'll do it again.
the midsole and outsole are exactly the same as the original but they've made a fairly significant change to the upper (for the better).

i found the shoe needs to be broken in. the ride is a bit harsh for the first 30ish k's but then something magical happens and it becomes super smooth.
...and they run long so i had to size down which could be a problem if you have a wide foot but i don't.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I've always been an Asics man, but will likely give Nikes another shot, haven't had a pair since I was 18-19 (don't always have a choice being a size 14/14 4E etc)

Will see what I can grab from whatever my local Sportsco can get ordered in, they've been good in the past size wise for me, but I generally get sucked in by larger retailers, might just stick with these guys if they can deliver the goods here.

whisper_metal

Rookie
Oct 10, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens

You should change your running shoes roughly every 800km depending on the surface you run on. Running on grass will lengthen their lifespan. One way of telling that you need to change your shoes is if you run on gravel and you start to feel the rocks in the forefoot, albeit lightly through the sole of the shoe.

You can get more life out of your runners if you have 2 or 3 pairs and rotate them.
For instance, if you run 6 days a week and have three pairs, you run in the same pair every 3rd day, allowing the cushioning of the sole to expand back out to its normal state and increasing the lifespan of the shoe. Running multiple days in a row in the same shoe results in the compression of the sole and less cushioning and life out of the shoe. When I was running 160+km weeks, this was important in getting longer life out of my shoes.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I bought about 3 pairs of Asics runners in row about a decade ago. Reasonably good shoes that I wasn't unhappy with but imo extremely overpriced.

The first Kayanos I got was in 2002. It was like walking on air.

I swear they've changed them since then (for the worse)- the sole is not as good, idk.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I bought a pair of Reebok Nanos last week.

giphy-1.gif

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Farken, ended up spending more money on runners I pretty much didn't need but got hooked on after watching a few reviews on YouTube.
Puma Deviate Nitro, Puma's entry into the carbon plate market. These shoes are a killer, nitrogen infused foam midsole provides heaps of pop when running and the legs feel fresh even after 15k. The only downside is the heel friction. It doesn't lockdown as tight as it could which can lead to heel slippage and in my case blisters. Bandaids and anti-blister socks fixed that.
My long distance rotation is Triumph 18, Clifton 7, Boston 10, 1080v10, Glideride and now the Deviate Nitro.
This isn't counting my racing shoe rotation nor trail shoes either.
I seriously have a problem

download (6).jpg

Farken, ended up spending more money on runners I pretty much didn't need but got hooked on after watching a few reviews on YouTube.
Puma Deviate Nitro, Puma's entry into the carbon plate market. These shoes are a killer, nitrogen infused foam midsole provides heaps of pop when running and the legs feel fresh even after 15k. The only downside is the heel friction. It doesn't lockdown as tight as it could which can lead to heel slippage and in my case blisters. Bandaids and anti-blister socks fixed that.
My long distance rotation is Triumph 18, Clifton 7, Boston 10, 1080v10, Glideride and now the Deviate Nitro.
This isn't counting my racing shoe rotation nor trail shoes either.
I seriously have a problem

View attachment 1248318
Are you a heel striker? I'm at the stage where I need to replace my running shoes shortly, but I'm a forefoot striker (more of amid-foot striker after the first 20 minutes or so).
I have narrow feet however my last pair were Brooks PureFlows which have a wide toebox and were pretty good, especially for sprint/hill sprint sessions.
I prefer shoes with less of a drop as I also wear them to the gym.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
yeah they're an amazing shoe for the price. i put 1000+ km's on a pair.

just picked up a pair of the newer version 2.0 from Rebel for $80 last week. the sale ended on Monday but i'm sure they'll do it again.
the midsole and outsole are exactly the same as the original but they've made a fairly significant change to the upper (for the better).

i found the shoe needs to be broken in. the ride is a bit harsh for the first 30ish k's but then something magical happens and it becomes super smooth.
...and they run long so i had to size down which could be a problem if you have a wide foot but i don't.

Still have a quite a few kms left in the 2.0s but have you tried any newer ones.

I didn't like the heal at the start but it's fine once you get used to it.

Back