Expectations and predictions for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more of an optimist than most. I really think we will be challenging for the 8. In my happy place we are winning a final in week 1.

I'm with you on the glass half full, but the list is inexperienced. Fast forward to 2019 and the same list will see us in the finals, a few vagaries to factor in (injuries, retirements, season fixture, drafts/trades, luck of the footy gods), but this list could be a legitimate challenger for the flag in 2 or 3 years and better skilled than at our last GF.

If Bennell makes it a team with Bennell, Fyfe, Walters , Hill x 2, Neale, Mundy, Blakely and the supporting acts of Tucker, Langdon, Brayshaw and Cerra running through the midfield with Sandilands and Darcy rucking plus the great defence we are building and an improved forward half with Matera and Balla's as the smalls and McCarthy and Cox a year older a finals berth is in the equation.:)
I agree, if we can keep everyone fit and on the field (looking at you Harley) then I think we play finals. Big IF given our recent injury form but we can dream.

Think we could reasonably expect better seasons from all our 3 best midfielders in fyfe, neale and shill plus walters playing full year midfield hopefully means a better midfield performance this year. Fairly attacking midfield maybe brayshaw brings a more defensive edge?
So. Brayshaw is kind of a DeBoer or Crowley replacement?
Pick 2 for that?!
Man, I hope i’m wrong (again) :sick:

If Bennell makes it a team with Bennell, Fyfe, Walters , Hill x 2, Neale, Mundy, Blakely and the supporting acts of Tucker, Langdon, Brayshaw and Cerra running through the midfield with Sandilands and Darcy rucking plus the great defence we are building and an improved forward half with Matera and Balla's as the smalls and McCarthy and Cox a year older a finals berth is in the equation.:)
Agree totally I also see a big future in Hugh Dixon a smart big mobile forward great hands excellent kick may be another Royce Hart

Well - I've just put a sizeable amount on us the make the top 4 @$13.... Here's why I'm confident:
  • Ruck - The best tap ruckman (Sandi) supported by the best up and coming ruckman in the comp (Darcy). Feeding a midfield of:
  • Fyfe, Mundy, SHill, BHill, Neale, with Walters and Bennell rotating through. Expect Brayshaw and Cerra to contribute strongly as well. This is as good a midfield as anyone.
  • Backline. Weak last year but addition of Wilson major plus. Expect AP to only get better as year progresses. Hamling to remain solid and MJ to have one last hurrah. Add the intercept marking of Luke Ryan and dash of Blakely from Half back and it is looking good.
  • Forwards. Much has been made of our lack of KPFs. I reckon Ross will have been looking very closely at Richmond's setup towards the 2nd half of last season. A side with 1 KPF (Riewoldt) blew the most vaunted forward line in the AFL off the park in the GF. We will need a good year from Cam Mac and Tabs but I expect we will employ a swarming type attack with Fyfe, Mundy, Walters and Bennell providing added firepower up front with Ballas and Matera adding support.
You know it makes sense!

Well - I've just put a sizeable amount on us the make the top 4 @$13.... Here's why I'm confident:
  • Ruck - The best tap ruckman (Sandi) supported by the best up and coming ruckman in the comp (Darcy). Feeding a midfield of:
  • Fyfe, Mundy, SHill, BHill, Neale, with Walters and Bennell rotating through. Expect Brayshaw and Cerra to contribute strongly as well. This is as good a midfield as anyone.
  • Backline. Weak last year but addition of Wilson major plus. Expect AP to only get better as year progresses. Hamling to remain solid and MJ to have one last hurrah. Add the intercept marking of Luke Ryan and dash of Blakely from Half back and it is looking good.
  • Forwards. Much has been made of our lack of KPFs. I reckon Ross will have been looking very closely at Richmond's setup towards the 2nd half of last season. A side with 1 KPF (Riewoldt) blew the most vaunted forward line in the AFL off the park in the GF. We will need a good year from Cam Mac and Tabs but I expect we will employ a swarming type attack with Fyfe, Mundy, Walters and Bennell providing added firepower up front with Ballas and Matera adding support.
You know it makes sense!
Geez you have much bigger stones than me. Our B22 is much better than 15th (but not top 4 yet IMO) but we are VERY reliant on keeping 90% of those blokes on the field.

Biggest question mark for me aside from the injuries is how we play the new ground. Not uncommon for teams to have poor records at new home grounds. Same reason why I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Eagles chances. Especially since the ground dimensions are so different to Subi.

Love the optimisim and ability to put your money where your mouth is! :thumbsu:

Geez you have much bigger stones than me. Our B22 is much better than 15th (but not top 4 yet IMO) but we are VERY reliant on keeping 90% of those blokes on the field.

Biggest question mark for me aside from the injuries is how we play the new ground. Not uncommon for teams to have poor records at new home grounds. Same reason why I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Eagles chances. Especially since the ground dimensions are so different to Subi.

Love the optimisim and ability to put your money where your mouth is! :thumbsu:
Funny thing about Freo is their away form, compared to WC and Subi fortress, we do play okay at the G, etc.
The coasters though should be worried at this stage, where would they be without their flat track.

Funny thing about Freo is their away form, compared to WC and Subi fortress, we do play okay at the G, etc.
The coasters though should be worried at this stage, where would they be without their flat track.
We do play the G alright and certainly much better than WC. Of course we play Adelaide Oval woefully and they apparently cant lose there.

To be fair to them, they were not flat trackers last year, just mediocre. Port was the new flat trackers in every sense. Belt the **** out of teams like us an Carlton and lose to everyone in the 8 except R1 Sydney (whom everyone apart from Port fans recognise were terrible and not the same team we saw post round 5) and the Eagles at Subi (hence confirming the Eagles non-flat track status).

I think taking into account the strength of the squads we will play Optus Stadium better than them though.

You know it makes sense!

13’s is not a bad price but it’s amazing how much rd 1 can affect markets like top 4
It’s pretty likely that it will take a while for us to gel being a totally revamped lineup so you might have been better having something now but I would be surprised if 13’s is the best price you could get over the course of the year. If we lose round 1 you might see that blow out to 18’s or even 20’s and that hurts when your playing the long term markets

Anyway good luck it would be sweet if you get up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I want Blakely to play more midfield. Surely we have enough class moving it out of defense with Wilson and Darcy, enough brute force with Logue and enough bigness with Hamling and MJ/A Pearce. A raft of other players are available to play number 6 (or 7) back there including Spurr, Hughes, Tucker and Nyhuis.

My expectations for Blakely are that he has the potential to become an elite midfielder, and that his current position is just a training ground for that. But I think he is ready now, and I would be happy for Brayshaw, Cerra or North to get a training opportunity if that suits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Blakely to play more midfield. Surely we have enough class moving it out of defense with Wilson and Darcy, enough brute force with Logue and enough bigness with Hamling and MJ/A Pearce. A raft of other players are available to play number 6 (or 7) back there including Spurr, Hughes, Tucker and Nyhuis.

My expectations for Blakely are that he has the potential to become an elite midfielder, and that his current position is just a training ground for that. But I think he is ready now, and I would be happy for Brayshaw, Cerra or North to get a training opportunity if that suits.
Putting aside the fact that he was a gun half back when played there, he has still only played 33 games. He is very much in development and I don't mind him spending time there to round out his game. He clearly knows how to find the pill already so I would think the defensive side of his game is the part he needs to work on the most.

Also like him having the flexibility to be a gun mid or half back during a game/season as required. Don't think this will stop him being an elite mid either. Maybe delay, but not stop.

Putting aside the fact that he was a gun half back when played there, he has still only played 33 games. He is very much in development and I don't mind him spending time there to round out his game. He clearly knows how to find the pill already so I would think the defensive side of his game is the part he needs to work on the most.

Also like him having the flexibility to be a gun mid or half back during a game/season as required. Don't think this will stop him being an elite mid either. Maybe delay, but not stop.
My real issue is that I think our midfield needs more depth (reflected in the drafting of Brayshaw, Cerra, North and Crowden), and while I fully accept that he is developing well, I think he is also ready to step up. And while our midfield needs more depth, our half backs have substantial depth as well as being the preferred area of the ground for initiating midfield talent. I am hoping his 2018 will reflect a shift in time spent as a mid/hb.

My real issue is that I think our midfield needs more depth (reflected in the drafting of Brayshaw, Cerra, North and Crowden), and while I fully accept that he is developing well, I think he is also ready to step up. And while our midfield needs more depth, our half backs have substantial depth as well as being the preferred area of the ground for initiating midfield talent. I am hoping his 2018 will reflect a shift in time spent as a mid/hb.
I think the fact it needs more depth is the main reason he isn't just 100% mid. It opens another spot for a developing player. I still think he gets good midfield minutes.

I expect him to be 60/40 HB/Mid.

22 changes in 2 seasons is half the list.
Recent trading/drafting has been good but we're still on the build.
The glue is new.

Improved cohesion between the lines as the gameplan and best 20 odd evolves, in tandem with continued development of youngsters. Blakely and even Sheridan may be part of the plan as ball movers/runners from defence through midfield?
A noticeable hardening around the contest and ability to run out games.
Ball movement and retention needs significant improvement all over the ground.
Wilson,Ryan and Logue's kicking accuracy and penetration will be central to this out of the backline, enabling speedy counterattack. With improved footskills,spread and decision making this should assist the old 'delivery/personnel/structures' inside forward 50 chestnut.
Need some creative work with forward structures and movement to restitch our sow's ear.
Pav's departure saw our forward line drop off a large cliff but we've got some new options.
Big Hugh and Apeness playing well would be great, but that won't happen early rounds.
Same with Harley feeding and swooping.
Matera's addition will help.
More debuts!

Ladder position largely irrelevant if we see plenty of the above.
Competitive in most outings would be acceptable for mine.

Finials up and chevroned by Rnd 8-16 2019!:cool::thumbsu::rainbow:

A few seasons with a good injury run around now would be a blessing.

I think the fact it needs more depth is the main reason he isn't just 100% mid. It opens another spot for a developing player. I still think he gets good midfield minutes.

I expect him to be 60/40 HB/Mid.
Where do you see Hughes, Tucker and Nyhuis in terms of position and our best 22?

Logue Hamling Johnson
Wilson Pearce Ryan

The weak link here is Johnson.

Blakeley could replace him, but he doesn't improve us if he replaces anyone else .Hughes is a better replacement for Johnson.

Hill Neale Hill
Sandilands Fyfe Blakeley

Matera McCarthy Walters
Mundy Cox Langdon

Darcy, Tucker, Hughes, Bennell / Brayshaw

Where do you see Hughes, Tucker and Nyhuis in terms of position and our best 22?

Logue Hamling Johnson
Wilson Pearce Ryan

Blakeley could replace him, but he doesn't improve us if he replaces anyone else .Hughes is a better replacement for Johnson.

Hill Neale Hill
Sandilands Fyfe Blakeley

Matera McCarthy Walters
Mundy Cox Langdon

Getting good depth in the backline, Tucker and Hughes are now firmly in best 25 and will see plenty of games. They don’t seem convinced with Nyhuis in fact I can see Duman(is that correct) going straight past him, he looks very composed in the first game

Getting good depth in the backline, Tucker and Hughes are now firmly in best 25 and will see plenty of games. They don’t seem convinced with Nyhuis in fact I can see Duman(is that correct) going straight past him, he looks very composed in the first game
Yeah, really nice depth, especially when you add in Cox's potential as a swingman/KPD. He could quickly be pushed out of contention for a KPF role if any of our big forwards come on.

Would love Duman to progress. I think those athletic, tall, wiry types do really well as defenders on the smaller types. Nice disposal too.

6-9 wins. Up and down form as you would expect from a younger side. We'll look sharp at times and unfortunately cop some paddlings.

Mundy to have a good last season. Hoping for that hat-trick of away wins against Richmond right at the death off his boot... yes please - one more time.

Basically I think it's developmental year where we may sneak a few exciting away wins but the younger brigade will have to learn Lyon footy strategy and tactics to mesh in with senior players.

Can't be expecting too much out of the younger players from the last few years drafts - it's somewhat unfair.

Looking forward to see what Big Boy Darcy can do this season (how many senior games will he get with Sandi playing on?)

Peel to go three-peat for premiership.

I am happy for the side to play out of their skins and finish top 4, then go very deep in finals to make me eat my words however unlikely.

Last edited:

Logue Hamling Johnson
Wilson Pearce Ryan

Hill Neale Hill
Sandilands Fyfe Blakeley

Matera McCarthy Walters
Mundy Cox Langdon

That first backline you posted is way too tall IMO. Only 1 of Johnno or Pearce for me. Agree Hughes should be in Johnnos place one AP is fit and replaces him. Blakely plays the 7th defender down there and that is how it should be if he is in defence.

Nyhuis is not B22 for me. Tucker seems to be a bit of a utility. Strangely not used a lot off half back where he played as a junior. For me he is on the bench and rotates around a few positions. Inside/wing/hbf I suppose. I'd be happy for us to try him more down back, especially when Connor is on-ball. Long termi I think he is an inside/outside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back