FTA-TV Offsiders

Remove this Banner Ad

They never mention the NBL. The only time they have done was the grand final series last year and that was only because someone mentioned it in their points or tips or whatever they do at the end.

The battle between the top 4 and the Hawks to a lesser extent has been an absorbing season long struggle, but I doubt the host and panel would've watched much of it so it does make it hard to talk about.

It's not a show I watch a lot of simply because of the lack of variety in sport which I like.

They never mention the NBL. The only time they have done was the grand final series last year and that was only because someone mentioned it in their points or tips or whatever they do at the end.
This is a fair point, I don't think I can recall them ever talking about it when it deserves some coverage.

Shows how low it is on the radar of sports media types. It's a bit of a slanted point of view because the Wildcats are so ingrained in the summer sport psyche over here.

Shows how low it is on the radar of sports media types. It's a bit of a slanted point of view because the Wildcats are so ingrained in the summer sport psyche over here.

Yeah the Wildcats are pretty big over in Perth not uncommon to be on the back pages. But have noticed when over in the eastern states the NBL rarely seems to get much attention. FSN give it a bit of coverage in their news bulletins, but that's not surprising given their position as rights holders.

Maybe a benefit of good old West Australian pariochalism? Wildcats are almost the original symbol of a successful Perth side sticking it to the interstaters and have captured the next generation through being a quality, well run and consistent organisation.

I seem to be going against the grain, but I really liked Sunday's show. AFLW is the major discussion point in Australian sport right now and Bec Goddard was the right guest. She provided points of background on the infamous Steven Hocking memo that hadn't been explained before (at least, not as far as I'd heard/read).

I had a chuckle at Jacqueline Magnay and Tracey Holmes talking about how magnanimous and dignified North Korea's political efforts were, until admitting that the delegation didn't have enough fuel to get home. North Korea's rapprochements with the West always come when they've run out of some essential item - like hostage exchanges, it's a key bargaining chip!

Re basketball - I said this time last year that the failure to mention the rising NBL was a flaw. Hopefully it's rectified by the time the Finals start this season.

Perhaps a small point, but Waleed Aly's habit of making a reflexive "right?" comment after every statement annoys me. Maybe he does it unconsciously, but it sounds like an attempt at coercion and a way of stopping alternative opinions from being aired. I'd love it if one Sunday one of the panellists said, "Actually, Waleed - that's not right at all!"

I guess that could a point of the show that people forget. It's not really a sport report kind of thing you would see on the news every night reading out scores it's discussing what is topical at that point in time. AFLW is topical but make room for other things going on FFS. They do self indulge too much.

I continue to be baffled the NBL finds a free-to-air home year after year. Mind you the rights are probably worth * all and there might even be a bullshit government discount involved.

Seriously anyone that thinks creepy little short people whipping big animals around a race track is a proper sport is a ****in idiot. The whole thing wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for gambling ffs.

Put the pencilneck out to pasture for good and bring back Underwood.

Not to mention all the fuss in Melbourne re the Cup. Let's dress up once a year and have some class warfare with corporate marquees populated by 'celebs' who would be lucky to be reserves for that African jungle show being the DMZ while the rest of the plebs get shitfaced.

Great discussion on governance issues in netball, the AOC and rugby union. Show is going well, Gerard is being an informative host, Waleed Aly and John Stanley are being articulate...and then Caro starts talking about Bob Murphy.

Caro: "He really is football's Renaissance man, isn't he?" and "If Melbourne had someone who we'd like to think symbolised how we're different to Sydney, then I like to think it'd be Bob Murphy."

Good player. Seems a reasonable fella. Well liked by teammates and Bulldogs fans. But would you like more mayo on that comment, Caro?

Can't stand Aly, what has he got to do with sport but being I hear a semi ok cricket player? Would love to see one of the panel really challenge him, he doesn't like that kind of thing, that Project show is Cringe City.

I seem to be going against the grain, but I really liked Sunday's show. AFLW is the major discussion point in Australian sport right now and Bec Goddard was the right guest. She provided points of background on the infamous Steven Hocking memo that hadn't been explained before (at least, not as far as I'd heard/read).

I had a chuckle at Jacqueline Magnay and Tracey Holmes talking about how magnanimous and dignified North Korea's political efforts were, until admitting that the delegation didn't have enough fuel to get home. North Korea's rapprochements with the West always come when they've run out of some essential item - like hostage exchanges, it's a key bargaining chip!

Re basketball - I said this time last year that the failure to mention the rising NBL was a flaw. Hopefully it's rectified by the time the Finals start this season.

Perhaps a small point, but Waleed Aly's habit of making a reflexive "right?" comment after every statement annoys me. Maybe he does it unconsciously, but it sounds like an attempt at coercion and a way of stopping alternative opinions from being aired. I'd love it if one Sunday one of the panellists said, "Actually, Waleed - that's not right at all!"

Yes he doesn't like to be challenged - he works on that circle jerk show the Project.

Yes he doesn't like to be challenged - he works on that circle jerk show the Project.

I haven’t watched The Project much since Charlie Pickering left, but I think your statement applies to the majority of presenters on The ABC. That’s why The ABC is a conservative free zone - it provides a safe space where dissenting opinions aren’t heard or tolerated.

It would be great if The ABC, in its role as public broadcaster was split roughly 50/50 down the middle between the progressive left and conservatives, the debate and discussion on issues would be far better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t watched The Project much since Charlie Pickering left, but I think your statement applies to the majority of presenters on The ABC. That’s why The ABC is a conservative free zone - it provides a safe space where dissenting opinions aren’t heard or tolerated.

It would be great if The ABC, in its role as public broadcaster was split roughly 50/50 down the middle between the progressive left and conservatives, the debate and discussion on issues would be far better.

Gosh this post makes you sound like a idiot.

The head of the ABC, Michelle Guthrie, is a conservative. She was hand picked by Abbott.

And Offsiders isn't even a political show. What the * does it matter if someone is "left" or "conservative" when discussing sport?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh this post makes you sound like a ****in idiot.

The head of the ABC, Michelle Guthrie, is a conservative. She was hand picked by Abbott

And Offsiders isn't even a political show. What the **** does it matter if someone is "left" or "conservative" when discussing sport?

Nailed it - You realise commonsense has gone out the window when sport is discussed through a left and right paradigm.

Well it sure ain't 50/50 but Q and A does have conservatives on it, ditto the Insiders. And some of the better ABC journos give pollies on both sides a hard time. The difference with the Project is they have to have the Kardashians and any Hollywood airhead in town but also claim to be 'semi-serious' but never go in hard at all really.

Gosh this post makes you sound like a ****in idiot.

The head of the ABC, Michelle Guthrie, is a conservative. She was hand picked by Abbott

And Offsiders isn't even a political show. What the **** does it matter if someone is "left" or "conservative" when discussing sport?
Nailed it - You realise commonsense has gone out the window when sport is discussed through a left and right paradigm.

I wasn’t posting about Offsiders, I was posting about Waleed Aly, whose still co-hosts the conversation hour and is a a current ABC presenter.

Regarding Offsiders, it’s about Politics in Sport - which is funnily enough what Gerrard Whateley has titled his copycat show on SEN with Barrie Cassidy. There’s no doubting that like other ABC shows, it’s biased to the left. Labelling it as only a Sport show is to simple a view of the program, it goes into more depth than just giving scores and asking whose going to bat at number 3 in the test team.

Even as a casual observer of Offsiders, The left leaning views on social issues is clear:

- Constant railing against AFL clubs earning revenue from pokies, ditto for NRL and their Leagues Clubs. “Profiting from the misery of others” is often sprouted on there by Caro.
- Constant attacks on sporting clubs for not putting women in positions of power.
- Calls for a Rooney Rule regarding coaching/management positions for our Indigenous people.
- The signing of high profile players to the Chinese Super League was “capitalism gone mad”, while there were homeless people “starving” on the streets.
- Spending money upgrading stadiums in Sydney should be spent on healthcare and education instead (strange view for a Sport show wouldn’t you think?)
- My favourite from Richard Hinds was words to the effect of the biggest threat to the Adelaide Oval’s position as the best cricket ground in the world was climate change:D (I will be generous to Richard and say he was tongue in check with that one).
- Having a dig at Donald Trump (why is Donald Trump being mentioned on a sport show?)
- I didn’t watch during the Goodes booing controbersy, but Gerrard gave his social commentary on AFL360, so he probably did on Offsiders too.

Philosophically I agree with some of them and disagree on others, but there’s no debate at all on Offsiders. Somebody states an opinion like it’s a fact and nobody challenges it, they just conform by nodding their head. The show would be much better if there was somebody who would go against the grain and have an informed discussion, but conservatives aren’t tolerated at The ABC.

Well it sure ain't 50/50 but Q and A does have conservatives on it, ditto the Insiders. And some of the better ABC journos give pollies on both sides a hard time. The difference with the Project is they have to have the Kardashians and any Hollywood airhead in town but also claim to be 'semi-serious' but never go in hard at all really.

Agreed that both those ABC shows have conservative guests on them, just as Sky News has progressive left guests on it. On both stations they are treated as an after thought (more so on The ABC), outnumbered, given little chance to speak and spoken over the top of when they are making a point. See Chris Kenny on Monday nights Q&A or Peta Credlin speaking to a Greens MP this week. Even Steve Price gets interrupted and spoken over the top on The Project when he tries to make a point.

The problem I have with ABC TV is that there’s no conservative programs nor conservative hosts on it to set the agenda so to speak, it’s a conservative free zone, which when you’ve been anointed as the major publically funded broadcaster to the tune of $1 billion per year isn’t good enough.

Even Sky news gives hosts from the progressive left their own shows - see Kristina Kennelly, Patricia Karvelas, Graeme Richardson, Nick Reese, Peter Burner and Peter Beattie. Where are the conservative programs or hosts on the ABC? I can only think of Amanda Vanstone and Tom Switzer on ABC Radio National.

ABC news I tend to find quite good, it’s their programming that has next to no balance.

I wasn’t posting about Offsiders, I was posting about Waleed Aly, whose still co-hosts the conversation hour and is a a current ABC presenter.

Regarding Offsiders, it’s about Politics in Sport - which is funnily enough what Gerrard Whateley has titled his copycat show on SEN with Barrie Cassidy. There’s no doubting that like other ABC shows, it’s biased to the left. Labelling it as only a Sport show is to simple a view of the program, it goes into more depth than just giving scores and asking whose going to bat at number 3 in the test team.

Even as a casual observer of Offsiders, The left leaning views on social issues is clear:

- Constant railing against AFL clubs earning revenue from pokies, ditto for NRL and their Leagues Clubs. “Profiting from the misery of others” is often sprouted on there by Caro.
- Constant attacks on sporting clubs for not putting women in positions of power.
- Calls for a Rooney Rule regarding coaching/management positions for our Indigenous people.
- The signing of high profile players to the Chinese Super League was “capitalism gone mad”, while there were homeless people “starving” on the streets.
- Spending money upgrading stadiums in Sydney should be spent on healthcare and education instead (strange view for a Sport show wouldn’t you think?)
- My favourite from Richard Hinds was words to the effect of the biggest threat to the Adelaide Oval’s position as the best cricket ground in the world was climate change:D (I will be generous to Richard and say he was tongue in check with that one).
- Having a dig at Donald Trump (why is Donald Trump being mentioned on a sport show?)
- I didn’t watch during the Goodes booing controbersy, but Gerrard gave his social commentary on AFL360, so he probably did on Offsiders too.

Philosophically I agree with some of them and disagree on others, but there’s no debate at all on Offsiders. Somebody states an opinion like it’s a fact and nobody challenges it, they just conform by nodding their head. The show would be much better if there was somebody who would go against the grain and have an informed discussion, but conservatives aren’t tolerated at The ABC.

You need to get a grip on life - Yes, sport has a political sense, especially in the backrooms of power - But the events which happen on the sporting field are neither left of right - To think otherwise is ludicrous.

You need to get a grip on life - Yes, sport has a political sense, especially in the backrooms of power - But the events which happen on the sporting field are neither left of right - To think otherwise is ludicrous.

Offsiders isn’t only about what happens on the field, it’s about the Politics of Sport Just as much - hence Gerrard Whately using the title Politics of Sport for his copycat show on SEN.

Agreed that both those ABC shows have conservative guests on them, just as Sky News has progressive left guests on it. On both stations they are treated as an after thought (more so on The ABC), outnumbered, given little chance to speak and spoken over the top of when they are making a point. See Chris Kenny on Monday nights Q&A or Peta Credlin speaking to a Greens MP this week. Even Steve Price gets interrupted and spoken over the top on The Project when he tries to make a point.

The problem I have with ABC TV is that there’s no conservative programs nor conservative hosts on it to set the agenda so to speak, it’s a conservative free zone, which when you’ve been anointed as the major publically funded broadcaster to the tune of $1 billion per year isn’t good enough.

Even Sky news gives hosts from the progressive left their own shows - see Kristina Kennelly, Patricia Karvelas, Graeme Richardson, Nick Reese, Peter Burner and Peter Beattie. Where are the conservative programs or hosts on the ABC? I can only think of Amanda Vanstone and Tom Switzer on ABC Radio National.

ABC news I tend to find quite good, it’s their programming that has next to no balance.

I thought Chris Kenny made his points quite well on Q and A without being too interrupted esp. re Islam which is a pretty controversial topic to even raise in Australia. I also don't see Graeme Richardson and Peter Beattie as 'progressive left' - esp. Richo, he is from the Hard Right of the ALP and a pretty ruthless 'fixer'. I guess it depends on how you see the role of the ABC. All the commercial stations lean somewhat Right so should their be a 'counterpoint'? Myself I would rather they be as neutral as they can and not pushing any particular ideology - that's why on Insiders I can't generally stand the Right's Gerard Henderson who looks permanently constipated or the Left's David Maher who looks like he is going to break down anytime the word 'refugee' is mentioned - ditto pretty much anybody from the Guardian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back